Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-26-2005, 01:52 PM   #21
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Nooooo one expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise, surprise and fear. Our two weapons are... [/Python]

That's interesting stuff JD. Well, it's off on Easter holidays for me! I have to admit that the holiday that goes with Easter is foremost in my mind, over religious and cultural meanings. I really, really needed this holiday.

Glad Påsk!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 02:23 PM   #22
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I've only seen "Monty Python and the Holy Grail," so I don't recognize the quote. I loved that film .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 03:19 PM   #23
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Zalig Pasen! (Happy Easter)

Here we have the Easter Hare because of the nice alliteration it gives in Dutch (Easter Hare = Paashaas). But I was wondering if anyone also has the tradition of the flying Easter Bells? In my family it wasn't the hare or bunny that came to deliver the chocolate eggs but the Easter Bells, even a whole flock of them.

My parents made my sister believe in a little bell that usually came a little earlier and saw everything. And everytime she would pester her little sister (being me) that little bell would write it down in a little note book and then she would get less eggs.

Last edited by Earniel : 03-26-2005 at 03:23 PM.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 03:22 PM   #24
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Remember Me9996, the Spanish Inquisition was full of "Christians" as well .
True, but you could do that to any religon...

(For example: The moors were muslem)
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 03:59 PM   #25
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by me9996
True, but you could do that to any religon...
I absolutely agree. That doesn't matter though. My point is that just because some people call themselves Christian, that doesn't mean that they are. When I call myself a Christian, I might still be an unrepentant, stuck-up, arrogant, selfish, cruel, devious, greedy, conniving, griping, whining, gluttonous, peevish, snottish, vicious, callous lump of fiendish, malicious, brutal, cutting, sniping, biting vices. In short, I might not be a true Christian at all. The title "Christian" says nothing about who a person is, and little about whether they are saved or not. That's my opinion .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Zalig Pasen! (Happy Easter)

Here we have the Easter Hare because of the nice alliteration it gives in Dutch (Easter Hare = Paashaas). But I was wondering if anyone also has the tradition of the flying Easter Bells? In my family it wasn't the hare or bunny that came to deliver the chocolate eggs but the Easter Bells, even a whole flock of them.

My parents made my sister believe in a little bell that usually came a little earlier and saw everything. And everytime she would pester her little sister (being me) that little bell would write it down in a little note book and then she would get less eggs.
What do these bells look like? Are you talking of beautiful people, as in the French use of the term, or ringing bells? I've never heard of that before, but it sounds fun .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 03-26-2005, 04:07 PM   #26
me9996
Ring-smith

Quote:
I absolutely agree. That doesn't matter though. My point is that just because some people call themselves Christian, that doesn't mean that they are. When I call myself a Christian, I might still be an unrepentant, stuck-up, arrogant, selfish, cruel, devious, greedy, conniving, griping, whining, gluttonous, peevish, snottish, vicious, callous lump of fiendish, malicious, brutal, cutting, sniping, biting vices. In short, I might not be a true Christian at all. The title "Christian" says nothing about who a person is, and little about whether they are saved or not. That's my opinion .

What do these bells look like? Are you talking of beautiful people, as in the French use of the term, or ringing bells? I've never heard of that before, but it sounds fun .
Yes but it meens they're going to heven when they die...
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!

Old 03-26-2005, 04:09 PM   #27
Earniel

Quote:
Heheh. No, no belles. Although I imagine a lot of people would want to believe in those.

No, the bells I mean are like church bells. And in the sense of Easter Bells, they come with faces and often cute little wings. (Darn, I tried googling for an image but I can't find good enough drawing. I'll have to concoct something myself...)
Old 03-26-2005, 04:31 PM   #28
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Heheh. No, no belles. Although I imagine a lot of people would want to believe in those.
Lol!
Quote:
No, the bells I mean are like church bells. And in the sense of Easter Bells, they come with faces and often cute little wings. (Darn, I tried googling for an image but I can't find good enough drawing. I'll have to concoct something myself...)
You've got me imagining a cross between a fairy and a cupid .
Quote:
Originally Posted by me9996
Yes but it meens they're going to heven when they die...
Actually, it doesn't. Paul describes wolves coming among the flock, but I'm not talking about only that. I can't find the scripture at the moment, but Jesus himself says that many people will call on him but will not be saved, because he never knew them. Even some of them will be miracle workers and people that have cast out demons. Even people God has used so strongly as that won't all be saved. It's in the scripture. I just don't have time to find the passages for you, at the moment. If I call myself a Christian, that's not enough to know that I'm saved. I'll say a bit more on this soon; at the moment I have to help my sister make some pizza. It's not all grim news! It's just that Jesus requires committed disciples, and most people that call themselves Christian in my opinion are not committed disciples. I'll get to you on this soon.

Old 03-26-2005, 05:10 PM   #29
me9996
Ring-smith

Quote:
Lol!

You've got me imagining a cross between a fairy and a cupid .

Actually, it doesn't. Paul describes wolves coming among the flock, but I'm not talking about only that. I can't find the scripture at the moment, but Jesus himself says that many people will call on him but will not be saved, because he never knew them. Even some of them will be miracle workers and people that have cast out demons. Even people God has used so strongly as that won't all be saved. It's in the scripture. I just don't have time to find the passages for you, at the moment. If I call myself a Christian, that's not enough to know that I'm saved. I'll say a bit more on this soon; at the moment I have to help my sister make some pizza. It's not all grim news! It's just that Jesus requires committed disciples, and most people that call themselves Christian in my opinion are not committed disciples. I'll get to you on this soon.
Some say they're christans...
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!

Old 03-26-2005, 05:24 PM   #30
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Note to Admins: This is the only such message I will send on this thread! I won't discuss religion in depth anymore here after this post. If me9996 and I have anymore discussion on this, it will be over PM. Please spare this message .

To me9996

My main point above was that not all people that believe they are Christians are real Christians. Many of them aren't. In fact, I think that probably most of them aren't, which is truly tragic for our religion. It says in the scripture that those who believe in their hearts and confess with their mouths that Jesus Christ is Lord are saved. Now if someone believes something, he'll act on it. Jesus said, "if anyone would come after me, he must take up his cross and follow me." He also said that they must be willing to give up everything for him, including family and friends- nothing must come before him. He made some very, very demanding moral and ethical assertions. A lot of people think that after they're Christian, they're home free to do what they want. That is absolutely not the truth, and people like that are often really bad examples for everyone around them. Jesus said to his disciples, "be perfect, as your Father in heaven is perfect." That is the goal that we aspire to, that we strive to fulfill. Most Christians couldn't handle the rigorous words of Jesus. They think they are Christian, but they aren't. So the fact that I call myself a Christian isn't that impressive. If you see Christ through my actions, then that is good.

One extremely good piece of news is that we don't have to fulfill the rigorous teachings of Jesus on our own. He said, "my yoke is heavy and my burden is light." When Jesus comes into your heart, when you believe in him, he helps to change you from inside out. He may actually sometimes speak to you so that you can hear him. As you come closer and closer in your relationship with him, he will purge your life of his own choice of those things that are bad. So that's good, my great relief . He's in control. By ourselves, we cannot succeed in following his teachings. None of us can. However, when we are born again, Jesus comes into our lives in a very literal way. Spiritually he is inside us, transforming us. We can expect him to change us, though we ought to help him. If he puts something on our conscience, we should pray about it. We can try to change, and Christ will change us, and we all the time know that we are forgiven.

Anyway, I think that's basically it. If you have any response, or any questions or arguments or anything, please send it over PM.

Old 03-26-2005, 05:42 PM   #31
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
I've only seen "Monty Python and the Holy Grail," so I don't recognize the quote. I loved that film .
Me too! I've seen it upwards of twelve times. The Spanish Inquisition sketches are greatness.

If you want to keep talking about religion on the board you could always bump "The REAL debate thread for RELIGION". (Just so you know you have the option.)
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 03-26-2005, 05:44 PM   #32
Earniel

Okay, let's get back to the things that matter: chocolate!

Hm, maybe I am too one-track-mind for this.

Anyway, I had a little fun with Paint to give you an idea of an Easter Bell that sometimes delivers the chocolate eggs in these parts. Oh, and I remember they were said to come from Rome every year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg easter bell.JPG (9.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 03-26-2005, 05:57 PM   #33
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Awww that's really cute!

But it's delivering those eggs in a rather questionable manner... oh yeah, it's just a bell!

I like different countries' Easter traditions. In Belarus Easter is celebrated at a different time. (I forget when though. )
Quote:
Old 03-26-2005, 05:58 PM   #34
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I forgot about that thread. Good idea, Nurvi!

We are about to start our egg hunt now. We have just finished eating one of the most delicious lunches imaginable (to me ), homemade pizza burgers. It may not sound that good, but it IS. It IS. !!!!!!!!! Our morning was taken up by five opossums (how do you spell that?). We had so much wind last night that five of babies fell out of one of the trees in our backyard. One died and the other four were scrabbling around, amazingly cute. We took them to an animal shelter. Now we are entering the afternoon . . . the more chocolate coated part of our Easter .

Old 03-26-2005, 06:07 PM   #35
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
But it's delivering those eggs in a rather questionable manner... oh yeah, it's just a bell!
Trust me, most children don't question it.

Quote:
I like different countries' Easter traditions. In Belarus Easter is celebrated at a different time. (I forget when though. )
I know the koptic christians use a different calendar. My sister is currently staying at a koptic village in Egypt and she says Easter there falls only around the end of the April or so.

[EDIT: Happy egg hunt, Lief. Mine's only starting tomorrow.]
Old 03-26-2005, 06:13 PM   #36
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Pretty much finished with the egg hunt now. I was the first to get all I was allowed . And that's despite being a little late to begin, because I was finishing a post on this thread.

Old 03-26-2005, 06:30 PM   #37
Janny
The Blobbit

Lief, may I? Unless I am much mistaken, you are 17 years old? Pray tell, where are you finding the hunts that let you join in?! I want in!!!

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 07:20 PM   #38
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janny
Lief, may I? Unless I am much mistaken, you are 17 years old? Pray tell, where are you finding the hunts that let you join in?! I want in!!!

Nineteen . Home.

Old 03-26-2005, 08:27 PM   #39
me9996
Ring-smith

Quote:
Note to Admins: This is the only such message I will send on this thread! I won't discuss religion in depth anymore here after this post. If me9996 and I have anymore discussion on this, it will be over PM. Please spare this message .

To me9996

My main point above was that not all people that believe they are Christians are real Christians. Many of them aren't. In fact, I think that probably most of them aren't, which is truly tragic for our religion. It says in the scripture that those who believe in their hearts and confess with their mouths that Jesus Christ is Lord are saved. Now if someone believes something, he'll act on it. Jesus said, "if anyone would come after me, he must take up his cross and follow me." He also said that they must be willing to give up everything for him, including family and friends- nothing must come before him. He made some very, very demanding moral and ethical assertions. A lot of people think that after they're Christian, they're home free to do what they want. That is absolutely not the truth, and people like that are often really bad examples for everyone around them. Jesus said to his disciples, "be perfect, as your Father in heaven is perfect." That is the goal that we aspire to, that we strive to fulfill. Most Christians couldn't handle the rigorous words of Jesus. They think they are Christian, but they aren't. So the fact that I call myself a Christian isn't that impressive. If you see Christ through my actions, then that is good.

One extremely good piece of news is that we don't have to fulfill the rigorous teachings of Jesus on our own. He said, "my yoke is heavy and my burden is light." When Jesus comes into your heart, when you believe in him, he helps to change you from inside out. He may actually sometimes speak to you so that you can hear him. As you come closer and closer in your relationship with him, he will purge your life of his own choice of those things that are bad. So that's good, my great relief . He's in control. By ourselves, we cannot succeed in following his teachings. None of us can. However, when we are born again, Jesus comes into our lives in a very literal way. Spiritually he is inside us, transforming us. We can expect him to change us, though we ought to help him. If he puts something on our conscience, we should pray about it. We can try to change, and Christ will change us, and we all the time know that we are forgiven.

Anyway, I think that's basically it. If you have any response, or any questions or arguments or anything, please send it over PM.
Now I see what you're saying, as my pastor says:"Sitting in a garage doesn't make you a car"
I'll stop now.
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!

Old 03-26-2005, 10:34 PM   #40
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I am excited! My Easter is nearly over, now. We did the egg hunt. My youngest brother was having trouble finding anything, so I prayed that the Lord would show him where the final egg was- the toughest one, the one that we all get bonuses for. Apparently the Lord agreed with me, so he showed the youngest of us where the toughest egg was. Very pleasant .

Then Dad gave us a great logic problem which took us hours to solve, in order to find our Easter baskets. Luckily, I didn't need to figure that out on my own. My other siblings helped, and I bore a fair piece of the work. It was tough. Dad is skilled at things like that, him being a mathmetician. My Easter basket has several of the spiritually inclined books that delight me. This Easter has been a splendid one . I'm just about done. We didn't manage to see "The Passion." Oh well. It's still been marvelous, and I'm very happy.

What were some of your Easters like? Do, do, do tell!