Easter

Have a nice easter everyone.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:06 PM   #2
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something
You too - but Easter isn't until Sunday. Are you taking off early?

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 09:27 PM   #3
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Thank you, and you too!

For me, Easter is kind of a season, like Christmas

I'm having 23 over for dinner and egg hunts and fun!

My brother-in-law is making a huge paella.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:03 AM   #4
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Wow! Have a grand time. You'll need a holiday after that

We're off to Devon for a week; can't wait, it's been a knackering few months workwise of late.

Hope y'all have good ones.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 05:05 AM   #5
Millane
The Dude

Easter, Ha what a **** holiday
Old 03-25-2005, 06:28 AM   #6
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

I have a question. Where did the whole idea of an Easter bunny came from? Eggs I can understand but bunnies bringing eggs to kids?
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 06:58 AM   #7
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linaewen
I have a question. Where did the whole idea of an Easter bunny came from? Eggs I can understand but bunnies bringing eggs to kids?
i heard a whole radio 4 special on the symbolism and history of the three hairs (they varied a bit and were bunnies kind of at points) and how they traced the various symbolism and meanings round the world from Sw england through the steps of russia into china and back a few times:

from what i can remember its basically (among many other things) about fertility: also spring , growth and of course taken on by the Chrisitans in easter to mean re-birth: jesus's ressurection.
Shame i can't remember the name of central goddess attributed to the 3 hares: but these fertility traditions were embraced rather than reviled by Chrisitans and it's all mixed up together (today in a lovely chocolate grenache! - Ok before anyone says i dont think easter eggs actually have a grenache? maybe our resident chocolate expert could help me out here?)

happy easter all (answer to jersey devil earlier - well we here take the weekend and good friday and easter monday off - so its some MUCH needed rest for me - been very stressed and working very long hours last 2 weeks!)

Don't eat too much chocolate!: save your energy for Drinking with family and friends!
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 07:03 AM   #8
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Ah, ok, well that makes sense somewhat now. Thanks Butterbeer! (And welcome to the Moot).

Happy Easter to all!
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 07:53 AM   #9
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
happy easter y'all! we did secret easter bunny in our group of friends this year. but i still ended up with 5 easter eggs!! ...2 and half left...
This is my first easter wihtout family at home theyve all gone away which sucks cos we always have an egg hunt. and we cant have one now but easter sunday will still be fun cos im going to a hanson gig!! lol
have a good holiday everyone

Why dont sheep shrink in the rain??
Hanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:23 AM   #10
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buterbeer
from what i can remember its basically (among many other things) about fertility: also spring , growth and of course taken on by the Chrisitans in easter to mean re-birth: jesus's ressurection.
Shame i can't remember the name of central goddess attributed to the 3 hares: but these fertility traditions were embraced rather than reviled by Chrisitans and it's all mixed up together (today in a lovely chocolate grenache! - Ok before anyone says i dont think easter eggs actually have a grenache? maybe our resident chocolate expert could help me out here?)
Where's Eärniel when you need her eh?

Interesting Butterbeer, I also heard about rabbits symbolizing fertility, but I didn't know about the other meanings. Cool.

I think the chocolate part was just added to make loads of money, but painted eggs etc. are very cool. And I enjoy chocolate eggs too. I have fond memories of Easter egg hunts when my brother and I were kids. My mom sent me a small box of eggs this year!

Have a great Easter everyone, or as they say in Sweden, Glad Påsk!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:16 AM   #11
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Something
I will. By the way, do you know what easter is about?
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:26 AM   #12
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

It's usually about the end of March or beginning of April.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:27 AM   #13
Something
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by me9996
I will. By the way, do you know what easter is about?
I do. Easter started in Norway yeasterday.

Last edited by Something : 03-25-2005 at 10:30 AM.
Something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:41 AM   #14
me9996
Ring-smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It's usually about the end of March or beginning of April.
That's not what I ment
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!

Old 03-25-2005, 01:16 PM   #15
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Today is Good Friday. We'll be watching "The Passion" tonight.

One nice thing is that we're getting a few days off, surrounding Easter, this time. I'm spending loads of time on Entmoot. All day yesterday, I was online. I need to be off a bit more, really. I hurt my eyes yesterday though from staring at the screen so much. That's why I asked Nurvi for an eyedrop earlier.

Anyhow, I hope you all have good Easters .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 05:26 PM   #16
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linaewen
Here is some explanations...

Quote:
What is the origin of the Easter bunny?

Like the origin of Easter, the origin of the Easter Bunny has roots that go back to pre-Christian, Anglo-Saxon history. The holiday was originally a pagan celebration that worshipped the goddess Eastre. She was the goddess of fertility and springtime and her earthly symbol was the rabbit.

Thus the pre-Christian Anglo-Saxons worshipped the rabbit believing it to be Eastre's earthly incarnation.

When the Anglo-Saxons were converted to Christianity, the pagan holiday, which occurred around the same time as the Christian memorial of Jesus' resurrection from the dead, was combined with the Christian celebration and given the name Easter.

Originally, there were some very pagan practices that went along with the Easter celebration. Today, Easter is often commercialized, with all the focus on eggs, the Easter bunny, etc.

Because of this, many churches are starting to refer to it as Resurrection Day.
Quote:
Easter Bunny

In pagan times, the "Easter hare" was no ordinary animal, but a sacred companion of the old goddess of spring, Eostre. The Easter bunny has its origin in pre-Christian fertility lore. The Hare and the Rabbit were the most fertile animals known and they served as symbols of the new life during the Spring season. Since long before Jesus Christ was born, parents told their children that the magic hare would bring them presents at the spring festival. The presents were often painted eggs, as these represented the new life starting at this time of year." Hares are animals which look like rabbits, but are larger and in many countries quite rare. In most places, the Easter rabbit (bunny) has replaced the Easter hare completely.

The bunny was first used as a symbol of Easter in 16th century Germany, where it was first mentioned in German writings. The first edible Easter bunnies, made primarily of pastry and sugar, were produced in Germany as well, during the early 1800s. Also in Germany, children made nests of grass and placed them in their yards. They believed the Easter Bunny would fill these baskets with brightly decorated eggs during the night.

The Easter bunny was introduced to American folklore by the German settlers who arrived in the Pennsylvania Dutch country during the 1700s. The arrival of the "Oschter Haws" was considered "childhood's greatest pleasure" next to a visit from Christ-Kindel on Christmas Eve. The children believed that if they were good the "Oschter Haws" would lay a nest of colored eggs.

Thus the custom of making nests also spread to America. Children would build their nest in a secluded place in the home, the barn or the garden. Boys would use their caps and girls their bonnets to make the nests . The use of elaborate Easter baskets would come later as the tradition of the Easter bunny spread through out the country.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 05:49 PM   #17
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
Here is some explanations...
In pagan times, the "Easter hare" was no ordinary animal, but a sacred companion of the old goddess of spring, Eostre. The Easter bunny has its origin in pre-Christian fertility lore. The Hare and the Rabbit were the most fertile animals

Thanks JD: i'm pretty sure it was Eostre i was thinking of: that was very informative: do you know more of the history or symbolism of the 'Three Hares'? From what i recall it had many meanings, often inter-related in many countries over many centuries?
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 08:13 PM   #18
Janny
The Blobbit

I know it's not quite what you were getting at, but three evokes the idea of the three figures being crucified.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 11:00 PM   #19
me9996
Ring-smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Today is Good Friday. We'll be watching "The Passion" tonight.

One nice thing is that we're getting a few days off, surrounding Easter, this time. I'm spending loads of time on Entmoot. All day yesterday, I was online. I need to be off a bit more, really. I hurt my eyes yesterday though from staring at the screen so much. That's why I asked Nurvi for an eyedrop earlier.

Anyhow, I hope you all have good Easters .
Yeh for another christain! (If we're talking about easter then this can't be of topic)
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!

Old 03-26-2005, 01:01 PM   #20
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Remember Me9996, the Spanish Inquisition was full of "Christians" as well .

We started Easter today by eating some scorched black coffee cake. That's what happens when Mom delegates the cooking to Dad .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 03-26-2005 at 02:22 PM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote