Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
"best"???? Surely "worst"?

shhhhhhh! Damn, there on to me!
Old 07-04-2005, 12:49 PM   #242
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Actually no, I think the Irish are probably amongst the "most liked" nationalities worldwide. It's funny how these things go around. It used to be us Scots who had the reputation for getting rat-arsed and smashing up the joint. Nowadays it's the English.

Years ago I worked on a project looking at migration from the British Isles to the New World, particularly Australia. One of the many interesting things we came across was how the Scots got their bad reputation.

Basically, it was down to the judicial system. When transportation was being used as a punishment, the Scots courts only used it for serious crimes. In England, you could get transported for relatively minor offences. In Ireland, you got transported for nothing at all.

As a result, the Scots who got transported tended to be, er, for want of a better word, radges, while the Irish were mostly normal punters.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 03:06 PM   #243
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linaewen
I'll record something, just tell me what.
"Oh I like your accent! It sounds very British to me, apart from a few sounds (but I could just be making them up in an effort to find some differences between your accent and a British one. Thank you for that. More please, if you don't mind."

Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 01:00 AM   #244
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

This is a sample of my accent for Andúril. Thanks for waiting so patiently for it. I've posted it here in case anyone else was interested.
You can tell I stumble at some points and I accidentally pronounce 'with' as 'wif' or something. I can't read out loud. Anyway it was just a taste of what my accent sounds like. I would imagine Millane and Cassiopeia would have the same one, though Millane's from Woop Woop so you never know.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 03:12 AM   #245
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
This is a sample of my accent for Andúril. Thanks for waiting so patiently for it. I've posted it here in case anyone else was interested.
Quote:
The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable.
Quote:
Millane's from Woop Woop so you never know.
OT, but what is it with these weird town names on your island?
Old 08-13-2005, 06:18 AM   #246
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

It's not working? Boo. I'll try to fix it, but in the meantime, I'll email it to you.

Woop Woop
n Australia a remote town or area that is regarded as lacking the facilities and sophistication of the city (informal humorous )

(He does actually live in a city, I just like teasing him)

We do actually have a lot of town names that may seem strange to you - there are plenty with Aboriginal origin.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:33 AM   #247
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
It's not working? Boo. I'll try to fix it, but in the meantime, I'll email it to you.
Thanks.
Quote:
We do actually have a lot of town names that may seem strange to you - there are plenty with Aboriginal origin.
Yeah. I was just talking to Cass about this last week (I think). But, as I told XK, Canada still takes it with Medicine Hat.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:47 AM   #248
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Can anyone let me know if it also doesn't work for them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andúril
Yeah. I was just talking to Cass about this last week (I think). But, as I told XK, Canada still takes it with Medicine Hat.
ROFL! I didn't know what you were talking about at first until I looked it up on Wiki and discovered it was the name of a CITY! Hahahaha.