Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-04-2003, 03:39 AM   #201
Baby-K
Corruptor

Howzit (also hoesit")
The famous, and one of the most typical, South African greeting. Short for "How is it?"

How's your mind?
"Are you mad?!"

Hum
1) Busy - "The disco was humming, there were chicks everywhere, and they were lekker on their pluck!" - the disco was a blast; there were girls everywhere and they were pretty drunk!
2) Stink - "Damn, it hums in here! Who baffed?"

Isit? (Izzit?)
This conversational word is used widely and in response to just about anything. Used in place of "really??"

Jammie
A car

Jawl - Jorl (Jol)
The word jawl is a generic South African - it refers to having a good time and can be used in any context. "I am going on a jawl (party) - I am having a jawl (good time) ...".

Just now
A immense source of amusement for foreigners - it means "very soon", "eventually"; or "never". If someone says he will do something "just now" it could be in 10 minutes or tomorrow. Or maybe he won't do it at all.

Kak ('Kuk')
Sh*t... and used in the same way.... "Don't talk kak - Don't give me kak".

Kief
Cool, or something that's very nice.

Klap('klup')
Slap - "Give him a snot-klap if he gives you kak".

Kus
Exhausted or tired

Lank
A lot - "There are lank people at this jawl tonight, hey China??!!"

Larney
Fancy, designer clothes, snob - A number of variations on a word denoting someone who is well-dressed, or designer clothes, or a well-to-do function. The person can be larney, or clothes.

Lekker
An Afrikaans word meaning nice, this word is used by all language groups to express approval.

Lightey
Youngster.

Lights out
Unconscious - "After being klapped for calling him a 'rock spider', little Johnny was completely lights out"

Lomp
Lethargic.

Lummie
A welt - A lummie is a particular kind of welt caused by hitting someone with the middle knuckle of your middle finger. School kids give each other lummies, usually on the forearm. A proper lummie becomes a bump immediately.

Mampara
A fool

Moffie
Wimp, pansie, naff, weakling

Nooit('Noy-t')
No way - Another way of saying no, but also a sign of incredulous response. (you have to say it correctly otherwise it just sounds naff "Nooit china, I can't believe that kak")

Nought
No - Used in similar situations to nooit. ("Nought hey!" when someone tells you something rather incredulous, if done right they'd never know if you were being sincere or sarcastic)

Oke (ou)
Guy, chap, bloke.

Padkos
Food to be eaten in the car, for a trip; on the road.

Park off
To chill out - sit down and relax - "Let's go park off at the beach tonight. Maybe we can graunch a little!"

Pavement
In South Africa this is the sidewalk.

Pikkie or Pikaneen
A small child.

Pluck
Can only be explained in an example: "What's your pluck, china?? You looking for kak? Don't make be befok; I'll klap you hard!" - what's you problem...etc..

Polisiekoffie (Police Coffee)
Brandy & Coke - staple drink of all Tappet Dutchmen (1 litre brandy, 2 litre coke & a 3 litre Ford in the garage)

Robot
Yes, it's a traffic light!

Rock Up
To arrive - "What time should we rock up for the jawl? Should be bring any dop?"

Rock Spider
An english speaking South African term for an Afrikaner - Hey, you rock spider! Who you calling a 'soutpiel'? Come here and I'll klap your lights out!"

Rooineck
Afrikaner name for an Englishman, or an english speaking South African.

Snot-klap
To hit someone hard.

Soutpiel, or soutie
Another Afrikaner name for an english speaking South African - comes from the image of the "English" having one foot in South Africa, the other in England, with something hanging in the middle (in the saltwater, sout = salt, soutpiel = saltpr*ck)! - "Hê soutie, who you calling a 'rock spider'? Come here and I'll skop your ballas in!'

Scale
To scale something is to steal it. (A scaley oke is one of dubious character)

Shame
Very typical South African expression; also found amusing by foreigners. "Ag shame, look how cute that baby is!", or "Shame, stop making kak with the chick, man, she's lekker", and "Shame, that's really sad". ("awe, shame hey! 'stru?")

Sif
Description of a disgusting thing.

Skeef
Crooked; provocative. A classic saying heard in bars around South Africa is "Are you checking me skeef, China?" - Are you looking at me funny, brah?

Skelm
A crook or thief. A street-wise operator who deals in petty crime.

Skinner
Gossip.

Skolly - ('skaw-lly')
Ruffian. Can be used almost affectionately when talking about a roguish friend.

Skop
Kick.

Skrik
A fright.
Baby-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 03:41 AM   #202
Baby-K
Corruptor

Slap chips
When French Fries are thick and long and don't go crispy in the oil - they are soft and stodgy (and drenched in salt & vinegar - best slap chips are bought at Greek cafe's) Also, slap chips are used to make bunny chow (hollow out a third of a loaf of fresh bread, then pack the slap chips in it, NB the chips have to be covered in masala, and the squash it all together & have a feast! For variation some shops add spiced mince or chicken to the bunnies)

Spook and diesel
Cane spirits and coke - A favorite mixture of a pale liquor and dark Coca-Cola.

Stoep
Verandah

Stroppy
Cheeky

Stukkie
Sexist term for a woman.

Takkies
Sneakers, trainers, running shoes.
Tappet
Low class, stupid, in-breaders etc (used behind the backs of such people and only in jest to their faces & then only when you know them rather well)

Tokoloshe
Evil spirit

The moer in - (roll the r)
Very angry - "You make me the fokken moer in!".

Tune ('Choon')
To tell, to talk, to provoke - "Don't tune me grief, ou; or I'll (yes, again!!..) klap the kak out of you!"

Vasbyt
Hang in there, be tough - "Vasbyt, china; it kak will soon be over!"

Voetsek
Get lost, buzz off..."Voetsek, jou sleg moer!"

Vry
Similar to graunch - to kiss, pet, court..

Zak
Money, cash

Zamie
Sandwich
Baby-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 03:41 AM   #203
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
I spoke to my German friend on the phone the other day, and it was weird. Her accent was very American sounding!
Europeans are more exposed to American language than English language through news, TV-series and movies, and I think we unconsciously adopt the American way of speaking.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:50 PM   #204
Lenya
Elentári

I really don't like an American accent (sorry to any Americans here). I can't get used to they way they pronounce, or rather don't pronounce an R.
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 05:51 PM   #205
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

very casual stepping out of the shadows here...

i have a strange mix of westcountry (allo moi dahrrrlinn's), south london ( sarrrrth landan) and cork (deep south irish), don't try and imagine it, you will fail

when i speak on the phone, i tend to put my 'telephone voice' on, subconsciously, which generally consists of adding 'H's in front of words that begin with vowels and other such rubbis with a very west-end/BBC undercurrent
*Hallo, hand how harr you today? Hi ham very well hallso!*
although when i talk normally it's more like this
*Wassa? you's gud? yeh roight, hime jus gonna pop arand an dahn college, best be gettin away, yeh?*
which basically means *Hi! how are you? i am just popping in to college, better be off!*
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 08:14 PM   #206
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

I'm canadian...And I don't know anyone who says "aboat" instead of "about".
Old 06-20-2005, 09:10 PM   #207
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

aboat as in look "a boat" ? i thought they said abuut or aboot. :P

Anyway, I have a North Eastern Tri-State Area (USA) accent I guess. Not even. I talk like clear speaking newscasters and ppl in movies (that dont have weird accents :P).

What is not to like about American accents? We all speak so clearly :P

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 11:15 PM   #208
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

I have an italian accent and I pronounce some words the British way (because that's what I was taught in school) and some in the American way (because that's where I live). When in doubt, I just make up my own pronounciation
The Wizard from Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 01:25 AM   #209
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finrod Felagund
I'm canadian...And I don't know anyone who says "aboat" instead of "about".
I saw a home video of a Canadian family once, and they definately said "aboot." But maybe that's just a local dialect, because other Canadians (like Dan Akroyd from SNL and Ghostbusters) speak normally.

Ah, Baby-K missed one thing they say in South Africa. My uncle recently married a South African woman, and the first time our families had dinner together, my mom said "oh, no more, I'm stuffed" at some point during the meal. Now, in America that means "I can't eat anymore," but apparently in SA it means "pregnant," so my aunt didn't know what to think.

I'm anything but clear speaking. I habitually say gettin' instead of getting, and things like that, so in speedy conversation I'm impossible to understand. I even use "y'all" around people who don't mind me sounding like a hick.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:46 AM   #210
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadillo
Ah, Baby-K missed one thing they say in South Africa. My uncle recently married a South African woman, and the first time our families had dinner together, my mom said "oh, no more, I'm stuffed" at some point during the meal. Now, in America that means "I can't eat anymore," but apparently in SA it means "pregnant," so my aunt didn't know what to think.
Never heard of that usage. Every one I know means "full" by "stuffed"...
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 05:23 AM   #211
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Hey I was reading this thread again a few days ago before it got bumped up. Andúril, I'm still interested in hearing what your accent sounds like. Do you have a decent microphone and/or soundcard now? The only SA accent I've heard was from this teacher. Her accent was like a very strange British one. I guess like my accent, except I would say ours is more a lazy British accent. :P
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 05:00 PM   #212
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

nigel hawthorne was south african, and he sounded very upper class british (but then he was an actor )
Old 06-22-2005, 02:38 AM   #213
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

I forget what region she's from, Andúril, but I guess it might be another local thingy. That would be wierd though, because she used to split her time between SA and London, and was in USA for some time before meeting my uncle, so she's had her taste of various slang, but still never heard "stuffed" at the end of dinner.

Does anyone else have trouble distinguishing between Scandinavian dialects? Some family moved in recently up the block and I just can't pinpoint their origin. Of course they're too polite to speak in their native language while anyone's around, and if they did I would recognize that right away.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:20 PM   #214
Lenya
Elentári

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBBIT
What is not to like about American accents? We all speak so clearly :P
Exactly. Not very clear for the rest of us.

Bombadillo, I'm also from SA and I used stuffed at the end of dinner. Hate to bring it to you, but I've never heard that reference to being pregnant. It sounds... well, having no other way to put it that in Afrikaans: Dit klink af.
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 02:07 PM   #215
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

i often can not understand americans, it's all the words they use for things that mean something completely different over here, things like: pants, chips, cell and good ness knows what else, not to mention the spellings
Old 06-23-2005, 02:35 PM   #216
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

OH! You're a rich one for spellings, Mr.!
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 02:37 PM   #217
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

at least i, as an englishman, can remember when to put a 'u' in a word!
Old 06-23-2005, 04:16 PM   #218
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linaewen
Hey I was reading this thread again a few days ago before it got bumped up. Andúril, I'm still interested in hearing what your accent sounds like. Do you have a decent microphone and/or soundcard now?
I'll see what I can do this weekend. No promises though, but I'll see if I can grab some sound from the video clips I shot over the last year...
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 06:30 PM   #219
Elvellyn
The Redneck Elf

I'm from southern Virginia (USA). Lots of people, mostly stangers actually, ask me where I'm from, not realizing that I have lived here all my life. Most everyone at my school has some sort of drawl, and I used to but don't anymore. You see, I'm not really a redneck. My title was supposed to be one of those ironic things. I don't really get the joke anymore though; I may just change it.

The funniest thing was when my sister and I went both met a guy from New York: he didn't know what to make of the fact that my sister talked like a hick and I didn't. (He still picked on me though.) Sometimes when I get really tired or am saying certain words it's very obvious.

I've always been fond of English accents though. I find them quite attractive. Scottish accents are fun to listen to, but rather hard to understand sometimes.

And although I've never wanted spell it "flavour", I do get very upset when people try to tell me that traveller only has one "l".

Last edited by Elvellyn : 06-23-2005 at 06:34 PM. Reason: punctuation error
Elvellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 06:32 PM   #220
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvellyn
I've always been fond of English accents though.
which english accent in particular? there are quite a few i can not stand (scouse i particular)