Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-26-2003, 09:16 PM   #201
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
BTW I don't think it's us in the self-hate thread. WE enjoy ourselves just as we are.

Agreed.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 05:05 AM   #202
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
Darn:

The sound uttered when the wearer of a Dan realizes that
they will now get hit harder and more frequently during
training.
LOL

I'm glad to say I haven't seen many of the stereotypes yet at trainings.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:46 AM   #203
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

To quote a favorite quote; The Truth is Out There.

Enjoy your training meanwhile.
Old 06-30-2003, 02:47 AM   #204
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

I am seriously considering going back into doing a martial art. I did Taekwondo well over ten years ago, and I had a blast. I got up to blue belt (which is 3 belts shy of black belt.) Now this is my dilemma - do I go back to Taekwondo which I know I will enjoy, or do I try something new? I have done a form of karate (can't remember which type, but it was dead boring cos it was non-contact), and Aikido (which was interesting, but too slow moving.) I'm looking for something that requires speed, agility, flexibiliy, etc, as well as help me lose some weight, and tone up. Any suggestions?
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 02:11 PM   #205
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
I am seriously considering going back into doing a martial art. I did Taekwondo well over ten years ago, and I had a blast. I got up to blue belt (which is 3 belts shy of black belt.) Now this is my dilemma - do I go back to Taekwondo which I know I will enjoy, or do I try something new? I have done a form of karate (can't remember which type, but it was dead boring cos it was non-contact), and Aikido (which was interesting, but too slow moving.) I'm looking for something that requires speed, agility, flexibiliy, etc, as well as help me lose some weight, and tone up. Any suggestions?
Aikido isn't slow moving when you've learned it. Watch a Steven Seagal Movie and see. Taekwondo requires flexibility (legs mostly) and will take time to get back into. Most Karate forms will help lose weight just doing katas. Jiu Jitsu uses the attributes you seek as well. There aki-jitsu also. Contact isn't necessary to learn maybe light contact is all you need to feel confident.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:48 PM   #206
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
have done a form of karate (can't remember which type, but it was dead boring cos it was non-contact), and Aikido (which was interesting, but too slow moving.) I'm looking for something that requires speed, agility, flexibiliy, etc, as well as help me lose some weight, and tone up. Any suggestions?
You might want to look into Muay Thai.( Thai boxing) It is definitely a contact sport and has the "speed, agility, flexibiliy, etc, as well as help me lose some weight, and tone up. " that you are looking for.

Quote:
Taekwondo requires flexibility (legs mostly) and will take time to get back into.
True. I used to be fairly close to the splits and had really high kicks. But now, I have problems kicking above my toes.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 06-30-2003, 08:09 PM   #207
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Yep, towards the end of my training, it wasn't enough that I could do the splits, I had to do them on blocks! Eeep. It's certainly been a while since then, but I can still almost do the splits, just not comfortably... Actually, the thing I miss the most, is the discipline, and the goal (working your way to the next belt.) I tried a few of the more nastier, harder kicks that I used to do, and was mildly surprised I could still pull them off, even if only in a clumsy fashion. Anyway, thanks for the input - will look into both Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu. Problem is that there ain't that many clubs close to where I live in the city, so I'm a bit reliant on what they teach down at the uni gym: I'll have to research it, and see what they offer.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 08:30 PM   #208
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
will look into both Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu.
Actually, if I could study two styles it would be these two.

It's a pity that there are no Jedi academies or "Wuxia " films are only films.

I don't know if the movie Hero has opened outside of South East Asia yet, but, you should check it out when it does.

It think the 1st fight between Donnie Yen and JeT Li is QUITE impressive.

Damn it. Shee-bop you making think about foolin around with this stuff again.

'Dern Helm"

Old 06-30-2003, 08:33 PM   #209
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Muay Thai is brutal. Saying it's a contact art is like saying if you like getting run over by an eighteen wheeler and then having a building dropped on you, study Muay Thai.

I'd hesitate to recommend this art for someone who wanted to "get back into" martial arts.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:37 PM   #210
Anglorfin
Alasailon

If I could find a good Muay Thai school around I'd look into taking that. For some reason it's always impressed me. Not a lot of flair but damn if every move isn't as practical as it is precise. On the other hand, did you know that in Thailand shin cancer is almost twice as common as it is anywhere else in the world?

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 12:01 AM   #211
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
On the other hand, did you know that in Thailand shin cancer is almost twice as common as it is anywhere else in the world?
That I did not know. Where did you come by this info?

Quote:
Muay Thai is brutal. Saying it's a contact art is like saying if you like getting run over by an eighteen wheeler and then having a building dropped on you, study Muay Thai

I thought we could make a Muay Thai simile game based on Spock's response.

Muay Thai is like being hit with Mjölnir ( Thor's Hammer), dropped kicked by the Hulk, and having to watch Demi Moore act. Well maybe the last one is a bit excessive.

On the serious side you good just try regular old kick boxing or maybe San Shou. The offical blurb is this:

San Shou is a martial art which was originally developed by the Chinese military based upon intense study of various traditional methods and combined with modern advanced in sports medicine and training methodology. San Shou is practiced as a combat sport, meaning that training is conducted with safety equipment and competitions are conducted under rules restricting certain tactics and techniques designed for the safety of the participants. However, San Shou is also a compete martial art that teaches striking, kicking, leg kicks, kick catches, sweeps, takedowns and throws. The current sport of San Shou does not include elbow and knee strikes but most San Shou gyms teach these techniques as well.

As an aside, not to deny the brutality of the sport, when the women fight in Thailand( they started a few years back) they are prohibited from the use of elbows and flying knees IIRC.

'Dern Helm"

Last edited by afro-elf : 07-01-2003 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:04 AM   #212
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Shee Bop

Here is a link that should be of assistance.

http://www.rembrandt.gen.nz/new_zealand_martial_arts/

Just click on the type of art you want in the panel on the left.

'Dern Helm"

Last edited by afro-elf : 07-01-2003 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:01 AM   #213
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
[B]That I did not know. Where did you come by this info

It was on a nation martial arts site I visited once. I can't remember the link because I was just google-browsing. In Thailand many Thai boxers train their shins by kicking coconut trees. There must be a cancer causing agent in the coconut treebark or something. But if I was going around kicking trees cancer wouldn't be my biggest worry for my shins anyway

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 09:25 PM   #214
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
It's a pity that there are no Jedi academies or "Wuxia " films are only films.
Actually, all the actors who fought in any SW episode was trained in some type of martial art first, of course ussually involving a sword. I forget the exact styles, but it says so in the Episode I commentary. Darth Maul recieved special training. And if you watch the fight scene Deul of the Fates closely, you'll see the differences and notice how much this all paid off.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:01 AM   #215
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Originally posted by Bombadillo
Actually, all the actors who fought in any SW episode was trained in some type of martial art first, of course ussually involving a sword. I forget the exact styles, but it says so in the Episode I commentary. Darth Maul recieved special training. And if you watch the fight scene Deul of the Fates closely, you'll see the differences and notice how much this all paid off.

Maybe my post was not clear. I meant that Jedi Knights and Wuxia abilities exist only in movies.

'Dern Helm"

Old 07-02-2003, 08:07 AM   #216
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

A.E., you mean I've been practicing with my light sabre for nothing?
Old 07-03-2003, 12:46 PM   #217
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Maybe my post was not clear. I meant that Jedi Knights and Wuxia abilities exist only in movies.
I know, but you can still fight somewhat like a Jedi, using only your body.

Question: I'm looking for a martial art to learn and I don't want to settle for karate. I can take a hit, but have low stamina due to stupid athsma. I'm pretty tall and lanky, I'm weak in the arms, doubtless, but have rather strong legs and fair physical balance. What martial art should I train in? Anyone have an educated suggestion?
Old 07-03-2003, 02:27 PM   #218
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Based upon your information, Akido without question.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:46 PM   #219
johnnyrod
Elven Warrior

Well forgive me for crashing in here with a change of subject, but I got my yellow belt on Saturday (no pips!). Step one, admittedly, but I forgot the bulldog clip to go on my arse and performed about as well as one of those wooden artists' desktop statues, but apparantly it worked. I think I need to learn how to kick for next time....
Old 07-07-2003, 11:46 PM   #220
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Johnnyrod what style are you taking.

'Dern Helm"