Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 01:20 PM   #201
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Ultimatejoe
a systemic nomological system of understanding
Not another one!!! * gets the flyspray out *

Indeed, war is a dirty beast in which people do nasty things to each other and innocent people get killed (and worse).

I read that too, UJ. There have already been some investigations started into suspected murders of prisoners by Coalition troops.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:43 PM   #202
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
I watched out of a need to know. A need to compare what and how the atrocities that were committed by the American's that they were using as a BS lame excuse to do what they did.
I need to know what? How they cut his head off? Isnt the fact that the act was done enough knowledge? It sure was for me. You gain nothing from taking up their offer of actually watching it.

If nothing else, out of respect for the dead and for his family we should all avoid watching such grusomeness. As a point of reference Id like to say that Burg attended the same college as I did so I have been hearing many things about Berg on a personal (living) level and not simply as a victim of a horrific act.

And of course the killing had nothing to do with what happened in Abu Gharaib. Those terrorists could care less about what happens to Iraqi prisoners. The only purpose of the killing was to enrage us collectively. Anyone who compares this act to the abuses of Abu Gharaib are mixing apples and oranges.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 05-13-2004, 01:46 PM   #203
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Actually the reaso it's out there - is to try to get the US population to say "ph my god - we must leave - look at what they have done." That is why they have put that out. They know if they put it out on the web - it will get to us.
I think Al Quaeda would be much happier if we nuked Iraq then if we just said forget this and left. Both would be good for them but the wonton destruction of a middle eastern country by an anger crazed america would allow to come to fruition everything they ever DREAMED of: the uniting of the muslim countries against the west in a massive religious war. And thereby the destruction of Israel.

Old 05-13-2004, 02:00 PM   #204
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

IR wrote: uniting of the muslim countries against the west in a massive religious war. And thereby the destruction of Israel.

OK, my idea is lets just do it.
We can easily bomb them back to the stoneage, it isn't that far to go. Israel alone has beaten the other countries more times than some can count, so we coordinate and get rid of them all, put in a large mall and parking for all.
..well that may be a tiny bit extreme but think of how much better off.....oh, never mind, I'm rambling again.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Last edited by Spock : 05-13-2004 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:03 PM   #205
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
I need to know what? How they cut his head off? Isnt the fact that the act was done enough knowledge? It sure was for me. You gain nothing from taking up their offer of actually watching it.
Well, that is your position, and may not be the same for everyone. In this war, the Iraqis along with Al-quaeda have screamed so loud about how brutal they are treated by coalition forces. I felt a need to see how brutal they really are in comparison to the US. Of course the description in itself of this execution is horrible, but seeing it helped me to be much less forgiving or caring about stablizing the middle east with our blood. And although there is no turning back for the US at this point, this video made me think that these people are not only not ready for democracy, but are not deserving of it. For now, I don't give a rat's ass about that hole. Bomb them and be done with it. Perhaps when my anger calms down, I'll feel more understanding. Cut me some slack IR.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 05-13-2004, 02:16 PM   #206
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Ill give you 48 hours. Then Im harassing you some more.

Old 05-13-2004, 02:18 PM   #207
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
Ill give you 48 hours. Then Im harassing you some more.
Fair enough.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 05-13-2004, 02:54 PM   #208
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Actually - i don't really do personal attacks - unlike you. but hey - you have never been banned - which I find funny - considering how many times you have ACTUALLY personally attacked me. But now I'm used to your arrogant snide condescending comments directed at me.
lol

I'm just grateful that your above all that.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 05-13-2004, 03:03 PM   #209
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

..yeah, in the dictionary under "tolerant" it says JD
Old 05-13-2004, 03:40 PM   #210
Radagast
Elven Warrior

Ultimatejoe- even though I am a British Conservative and thus not a liberal I find your posts and writings to be so extraordinarily lucid and written in a fluent, persuasive style that I agree with much of what you say.

JD- if you could learn to post as reasonably and exude such a quiet air of academic confidence as ultimatejoe does you'd be more respected on the board.
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
(The end for others sought)
Watch sloth and heathen folly
Bring all your hope to nought.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:50 PM   #211
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast
Ultimatejoe- even though I am a British Conservative and thus not a liberal I find your posts and writings to be so extraordinarily lucid and written in a fluent, persuasive style that I agree with much of what you say.

JD- if you could learn to post as reasonably and exude such a quiet air of academic confidence as ultimatejoe does you'd be more respected on the board.
Well, UJ is from SF-Fandom which requires a more high calibor type of posting which he is use to, since he has been there quite a while, but he is also quite fluent.

JD is a respected poster Radagast. It just depends on who it is. He also has his own style, which I find quite refreshing.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 05-13-2004, 05:05 PM   #212
BeardofPants
the Shrike

SGH, I'm curious, does JD have his hand up yer butt or what? What does he bribe you with?

Quote:
Originally posted by Spock
..yeah, in the dictionary under "tolerant" it says JD
*snicker*

Last edited by BeardofPants : 05-13-2004 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:08 PM   #213
Ruinel
Banned

SGH - I understand that you did not like my thread (American Apology to Iraqis) nor did you agree with my point of view. However, couldn't you have at least merged it with the thread you claim is already discussing the apology? (I assume that would be this thread, though I'm not sure.)
Old 05-13-2004, 05:10 PM   #214
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast
...JD- if you could learn to post as reasonably and exude such a quiet air of academic confidence as ultimatejoe does you'd be more respected on the board.
Since when do YOU speak for the whole board? I respect JD. [FLAMES DELETED]

Last edited by Sister Golden Hair

Last edited by Ruinel : 05-13-2004 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:33 PM   #215
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Ultimatejoe
...The people who killed Mr. Berg are the people you are up against, not the Iraqi's who were tortured and perhaps murdered in Abu-Ghraib prison. As I said earlier (and you conveniently ignored,) the U.S. government has admitted that thousands of people detained there were held mistakenly or improperly.
This is true. Even Mr. Berg was held in jail until he could be cleared. There was no reason to jail him either.

Quote:
...Now, nobody would suggest that if you start dropping posies instead of bombs everything will be hunky-dory. What I am suggesting is that simple "we have to stop them" mentality is too narrow-minded to work. The fact that casualties are escalating instead of decreasing is a testament to that.
I agree that bringing the hammer down is not the answer. Personally, I believe that a transition to the new Iraqi government on June 30th is crucial to gaining the respect of the Iraqi people, and showing that we are people of our word. Any extention of that transition deadline only plays into the terrorists' hands.

IMO, the Iraqi military should be handling more of the skirmishes as well.. and the coalition forces should be moving out.

Quote:
On Edit: Actually, there was a great article in my local paper today documenting on how most local papers and news organizations in Iraq didn't run videos/photos of the beheading because it was inhumane and horrifying. Of course, I don't suppose you bothered to look up what the Iraqi media was saying before you decided they are implicit.
I'm happy to hear that. It gives me the impression that they are more civilized than the actions of the terrorists impress on me.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:41 PM   #216
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
...And of course the killing had nothing to do with what happened in Abu Gharaib. Those terrorists could care less about what happens to Iraqi prisoners. The only purpose of the killing was to enrage us collectively. Anyone who compares this act to the abuses of Abu Gharaib are mixing apples and oranges.
The terrorists were using Berg as ransom for some named prisoners in the Abu Gharaib. They would have killed him anyway. What was the excuse for the others? Berg wasn't the first to die. The abuses at Abu Gharaib were just an excuse to justify what they had planned to do anyway. Berg was a dead man once they had abducted him. There was no way the US military would have exchanged known or suspected terrorists for someone who was not connected with them. Berg was there on his own, trying to fix the communications towers to rebuild Iraq. As I said, he was a dead man the minute he was kidnapped.
Old 05-13-2004, 06:04 PM   #217
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
SGH, I'm curious, does JD have his hand up yer butt or what? What does he bribe you with?
He bribes me with nothing, and he doesn't have his hand up my butt. I just happen to like him and think he's a nice guy. I like you. Does that mean you bribe me and have your hand up my butt?

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 05-13-2004, 06:09 PM   #218
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
He bribes me with nothing, and he doesn't have his hand up my butt. I just happen to like him and think he's a nice guy. I like you. Does that mean you bribe me and have your hand up my butt?
Eeeeeeeeeeewwwww... That's gross!!! How many hands do you currently have up your butt!?! gah! That's just not a pleasant image.

<--me, about to hurl.
Old 05-13-2004, 06:10 PM   #219
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
SGH - I understand that you did not like my thread (American Apology to Iraqis) nor did you agree with my point of view. However, couldn't you have at least merged it with the thread you claim is already discussing the apology? (I assume that would be this thread, though I'm not sure.)
You're correct that I was referring to this thread. It was not neccessary to merge it because it wasn't a long thread and only had 4 posts. I closed it because it relates to this very topic and if you feel the need to apologize, then you can do it here. I see no need to create new threads about existing topics that will only serve to invite bashing and flame wars.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 05-13-2004, 06:12 PM   #220
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
Eeeeeeeeeeewwwww... That's gross!!! How many hands do you currently have up your butt!?! gah! That's just not a pleasant image.

<--me, about to hurl.
Hey, she said it, not me.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Closed Thread