Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-07-2003, 06:08 AM   #181
Baby-K
Corruptor

Andúril - ignore the last part of the PM, it seems that it's no longer offensive.

Plenty of nice bushes to fall into at Hermanus, though I do prefer the ones in Plet (softer landing & all)
Old 02-07-2003, 06:29 AM   #182
Dwarven Sen
Elven Warrior

Ah that sounds fun, apart from the impaling-ness, and the spiders. Ahhh spiders!!
*runs away scared*

Dont heckle the supervillain

Note to Self: Remember that sarcasm is hard to detect from text.

What ever you do, don't click this link!

my LJ
Dwarven Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 08:56 AM   #183
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

A bush and a pole? Oooooh.

We...or I, as I wouldn't want anyone to think respectable Sen and Elendili had anything to do with this as they weren't there...anyway. I find my drunken antics often involve jumping over hedges. I haven't done that for ages.

But basically the story goes. My friends (three guys and a girl) and I were at a party and we went to the local shop for some more alcohol. On the way we spotted this hedge, and James and I decided it'd be fun to jump it. I was wearing a white top by the way. So one by one we jumped the hedge. Then on the way back we did the same thing. My female friend jumped into the hedge on this occasion, very amusing. Then we went to find a bigger hedge to jump over. (This one was a bit over 4 feet high.) So we founf this six foot hedge, and spent about twenty minutes trying to jump over it, before deciding we weren't going to manage it. We tried a group run and all ended up in the hedge. It was great fun, if not a bit scratchy, and the next day I had a few grass stains on that Top.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 09:08 AM   #184
Baby-K
Corruptor

While I was still in school I took care of someone's house - I invited 5 girlfriends over, to make a long story short one of them fell out of the pool, through a bush onto the patio.....and somehow we all ended up in the shower together later (bit of a tight squeeze that)

Last edited by Baby-K : 02-07-2003 at 09:13 AM.
Baby-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 01:55 PM   #185
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

EXK, that's amazing. We had a crazy hedge-jumping evening the previous day! Ruined the hedges though. We shouldn't have tried to jump through them...
Quote:
Baby-K:
While I was still in school I took care of someone's house - I invited 5 girlfriends over, to make a long story short one of them fell out of the pool, through a bush onto the patio.....and somehow we all ended up in the shower together later (bit of a tight squeeze that)
Damn.

BTW, how does someone fall out of a pool, through a bush and onto the patio?
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 05:04 PM   #186
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Wow! We should jump into...over hedges together It's such fun

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 01:32 AM   #187
Baby-K
Corruptor

Quote:
BTW, how does someone fall out of a pool, through a bush and onto the patio?
Got no clue, she managed somehow - then proceeded in putting band aids all over her bruises (while leaving the cuts open) - makes about as much sense to me as it does to you

I'm am pretty bruised today - started drinking on Friday & only stopped at about 11h45 last night - I fell on my bum (stupid flower bed crept up on me from behind - I swear it wasn't there before)
Old 08-02-2003, 07:58 AM   #188
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Just thought I'd bump up this thread in light of some conversations I've had recently.

Nice to see so many people love my accent. I hope you guys don't think we all sound like Steve Irwin or Croc Dundee or those 'Aussies' from the Simpsons episode. (the latter which sounds nothing like us) I actually don't know how some people have the stronger Aussie accent, I think it has something to do with where people live. In the metropolitan areas, we don't talk like Steve Irwin. Crikey!

Being on Entmoot has made me realise the differences in English dialects around the world. Never realised some words we (and others) use; 'bludge', 'whinge', 'heaps' etc are not understood/used in other places. Also, our most common word for 'eraser' has a very...taboo meaning in the US.

And something else strange about accents; my Indian/Sri Lankan friends can talk with 'normal' Aussie accents when they talk to me. Then, when they talk to their parents (in English- not many know much Sinhalese, Hindi or even Tamil) two second later, they talk in a pronounced Indian/Lankan accent! It's very weird- they don't even notice it at all.

Mooters without English as a first language, if you hear an English-speaker speak in your language, can you tell specifically where they could be from? As in American or Aussie/Kiwi or British?

Last edited by Linaewen : 08-04-2003 at 06:11 AM.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 08:08 AM   #189
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
Mooters without English as a second language, if you hear an English-speaker speak in your language, can you tell specifically where they could be from? As in American or Aussie/Kiwi or British?
Even I can do that, and I speak English as a second language. It's easy. They are totally different. The american is the most easy to understand, I'm usually hear it in class, my teacher to English is from USA. The British is fine too - my cousins are from England, I hear them. And the Australian is what left - you know it's australian that way (I just can't understand what Aussies say. Their accent is too complicated)
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 08:14 AM   #190
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Thanks. That's what I was thinking- since I've been reading a lot of books about pronunciation (for various languages).
E.g. for Swedish, they say å is pronounced like the 'aw' in 'saw'. But Aussie 'saw' is very different from US 'saw'. IMO, our accent is closer to British than American; I'm not sure.

It's your fault you can't understand us. Just like it's their fault I can't understand other people.
Old 08-02-2003, 08:21 AM   #191
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Thanks. That's what I was thinking- since I've been reading a lot of books about pronunciation (for various languages).
E.g. for Swedish, they say å is pronounced like the 'aw' in 'saw'. But Aussie 'saw' is very different from US 'saw'. IMO, our accent is closer to British than American; I'm not sure.

It's your fault you can't understand us. Just like it's their fault I can't understand other people.
Yeah, I thought your accebt is closer to the British. How do you pronounce 'saw'? I think I pronounce it as 'sau', as in Austria.

Not my fault, no. It's just weird. As you are.
Old 08-02-2003, 08:27 AM   #192
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
Yeah, I thought your accebt is closer to the British. How do you pronounce 'saw'? I think I pronounce it as 'sau', as in Austria.
No, more like 'o' in 'more'. (Unless you pronounce it still like German 'au'? In which cause, I don't think that's any English accent- including American).
*Trying to think of another language equivalent.* Just give me a sec.

Quote:
Not my fault, no. It's just weird. As you are.
I know, when I work in my uncle's store and I can't understand what someone's saying, my uncle tells the customer it's 'cause I'm a native English speaker- used to hearing words said 'properly'. Of course I understand accents to an extent, it's just heavy ones are harder to understand.

Last edited by Linaewen : 08-02-2003 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-02-2003, 08:33 AM   #193
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
No, more like 'o' in 'more'. (Unless you pronounce it still like German 'au'? In which cause, I don't think that's any English accent- including American).
*Trying to think of another language equivalent.* Just give me a sec.

I know, when I work in my uncle's store and I can't understand what someone's saying, my uncle tells the customer it's 'cause I'm a native English speaker- used to hearing words said 'properly'. Of course I understand accents to an extent, it's just heavy ones are harder to understand.
And how you pronounce 'more'? not as door, and floor, and for..?
I meany, as the 'cau' in because.

See? It's you, not me. I think I have American accent when I talk English. They learn us to talk like that in school. My father didn't learn, and his accent is horrible, even to me.
Old 08-02-2003, 08:38 AM   #194
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
And how you pronounce 'more'? not as door, and floor, and for..?
I meany, as the 'cau' in because.
Yes, that's right. But you said German 'au' which is completely different. That's like 'ow' in 'how'. People would think you're weird if you said 'saw' like that.

As for the foreigners speaking your language thing- I was joking. It's no-one's fault. Unless they have a really, really bad accent and make no effort to improve it.
Old 08-02-2003, 09:59 AM   #195
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Also, our most common word for 'eraser' has a very...taboo meaning in the US.
You mean 'rubber'? That means 'condom' in the US, doesn't it? I didn't know it was a taboo word.
Quote:
Mooters without English as a second language, if you hear an English-speaker speak in your language, can you tell specifically where they could be from? As in American or Aussie/Kiwi or British?
I can usually tell a Brit from an American, regardless whether they're speaking English or Norwegian. I only remember to have met one Kiwi, and no Aussies, so I wouldn't know about them.
Old 08-02-2003, 10:01 AM   #196
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
You mean 'rubber'? That means 'condom' in the US, doesn't it? I didn't know it was a taboo word.
Ok, maybe not taboo as such. Still, not for appropriate everyday language, perhaps? Oh, forget it, it's midnight here, my brain is not working well. God natt!
Old 08-02-2003, 10:28 PM   #197
anduin
Entwife

When I was in Amsterdam I was at a bar talking to two guys from Ireland with VERY heavy accents and the bartender who was Dutch. The bartender I could understand with absolutely no problem. The guys from Ireland however were extremely difficult to understand. The bartender was a bit of an ass and wouldn't let drop the fact that I couldn't understand another english speaking person. I have to admit that after awhile I felt pretty stupid about it, especially since the bartender started translating for me.
To hear the softly spoken magic spells.

anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 02:11 AM   #198
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

I spoke to my German friend on the phone the other day, and it was weird. Her accent was very American sounding!
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 05:03 PM   #199
Salquënòrëwen
Elven Warrior

I have a Southern/Country accent, but only when I say certain words. My accent is definately not as bad as one of my best friend's. Sometimes no one can even understand her, her accent is so strong.
Salquënòrëwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 03:36 AM   #200
Baby-K
Corruptor

Lin (ta-daa the 'guest appearance' ), if you are ever in SA, here are some terms that might help you understand the locals:

Ag
Pronounced like the ach in German, but with a 'g' on the end. Roll that 'g'! "Ag, no man" - sign of irritation. Many purposes.

Aikona
Never, not on your life.

Aita! ('ai-tah')
A greeting: "Aita brah!" - Originated in the townships among the youth, and is still used.

Babbelas ('Bub-be-las')
A hangover. Normally a pretty damn bad hangover!

Baff
Fart

Baggies
Certainly not "swimming trunks" or even worse: "bathing suit!!", but means the same.

Bakkie ('Buk-ky')
Pickup truck

Ballas
Balls (ie: privates..)

Barnie
Fight, punch-up.

Befok, bef*ck
Wild, crazy, excellent, great! This is used two ways: "he went befok" (he lost it completely!) or "that's bef*ck!" (that's awesome!)

Bergie
A hobo who hangs out on the streets of Cape Town. The term Bergie originates from the Berg (Mountain), and has connotations, according to prejudice, that Bergies are members of inbred hillbilly clans. This is not really so. It has more to do with alcoholism and tragic social circumstances such as poverty and homelessness.

Biltong
Jerky in the US, only much better!. This is specially prepared dried raw meat, made from beef, venison or ostrich.

Biscuit
Cookie in the US. In America, a biscuit is a scone with no sugar. In South Africa, it's a cookie. Some favourites are Marie Biscuits, Romany Creams, and Eet Sum Mor. Also someone who is rather amusing / funny / well liked / has done something good "You biscuit!"

Bliksem
Strike, hit, punch: "I'm going to bliksem you!" Can also be used as follows: "Bliksem! (Damn!) That was a befokde game of rugby!"

Boere
Term that refers to the police - "Die foken boere se moer, man!".

Boerewors
Farmstyle sausage or "wors". (Literally, "Farmers Sausage"). It is consumed in vast quantities on braais all over the country.

Bok
To be keen.

Bokkie
Used mostly in the Afrikaans circles - a young, pretty lady; or girlfriend.

Bos
The bush; a term that became especially popular during the period of "bush-warefare" during the Angolan war.

Bossies or Bosbefok
Going totally whacko, going bush crazy - "He went bossies after spending 3 months in Angola".

Boykie
Little boy, or can be used as in: "He's quite a boykie" - (he's quite the guy!)"

Braai
Barbecue (US) or Barbie (Aus). Extremely popular SA occupation. Men take great pride in preparing this event; and is probably the only time the average South African man does something around the house!

Brah
Buddy, associate, peer, colleague, friend, etc... Most often used amongst the "rookers" (pot-smokers) - "Hoesit, my brah!"

Catch a Tan
To suntan.

Check
Nothing to do with money! Look, do you see? - "You check?" or "Check this, china!!" - Look at this, dude!.

Chick
Yet another typically South African sexist term for a woman!

China
A friend, buddy, mate. Very popular term, mostly in Cape Town area and Durban. Can also be used aggressively, as in: "Are you tuning me kak, China? - are you giving me sh*t, mate?".

Chips
Means 'look out!' A warning.

Chuck
Depart, leave, go

Crash
Go to sleep - "Do you want to crash out at my place? - Do you want sleep over at my place?"

Dagga ('Dag-gah')
Marijuana, dope - the South African word for dope.

Dankie
Thank you

Dinges ('Din-gus')
Thingamabob, a wotzit or a whatchamacallit.

Dit ruk
It's happening!.

Doff
Stupid, idiot. It can also be used as a noun. "You doffie" - you stupid dumb*ss!

Dop
Alcohol, or to fail school.

Drol
Sh*t.

Duidelik
Means it's cool. Eg: Hoesit my brah. Naai, is duidelik!!!

Durban Poison
Dagga - marijuana - grown in KwaZulu Natal - of excellent vintage!

Dutchman
Derogative term for Afrikaner (especially when referring to people from the Tappet Triangle in the Eastern parts of Gauteng)

Dwaal
The blank, state a person gets into sometimes, walking around like a zombie.

Eina(aynah)
Ouch! Widely used. Derived from Afrikaans.

Flip
(Expletive) "Flip!" (Oh no! or Sh*t!)

Gatgabba
Moffie (disgusting reference to gay people)

Gesuip ('Ge-sayp')
Drunk

Graunch
Make out - "during the film, my boyfriend and I graunched in the back row" - during the movie we french kissed, rubbed, etc....

Graze
Unfortunately a pretty common word that means to "eat"!. "Let's go get something to graze".

Half-jack
A half-bottle of spirits.

Hap ('Hup')
A bite - this Afrikaans word is commonly used by English speakers. "Do you want a hap of my biscuit?".

Hey
Used for emphasis. "So let's graunch, hey?"
Baby-K is offline   Reply With Quote