Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-09-2002, 09:19 PM   #21
azalea
Long lost mooter

I have loved Tolkein since I was a kid -- Elvet, I'm happy to know I'm not the only "over 25" obsessed w/ ME. I've read the trilogy twice and seen the movie twice now (after the second time, w/ the trailer, I wanted to stand up and yell "A Beautiful Mind, my @#$"), read The Hobbit countless times, and I am particularly obsessed right now because I am reading The Silm for the *gasp* FIRST TIME!
I have no one here that shares my obsession, either.
I feel like this is a meeting of TA (Tolkienites Anonymous)

Last edited by azalea : 04-09-2002 at 09:21 PM.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 10:59 PM   #22
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

*sigh* My only obsession-prone friend is obsessed with the wrong thing right now. She goes though the weirdest phases; first it was the *shudder* Backstreet Boys, now it's Harry Potter. She even writes bad HP fanfic. I'm trying to get her obssessed with LotR but she hasn't responded much yet. Besides, it probably wouldn't last long, and right now she's mad at me so she won't read it just to spite me. She even scratched out the Frodo Lives I wrote on her binder!

~Don't mind me, I'm wallowing in self-pity right now.
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 01:00 AM   #23
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Don't think there's anything wrong about a Harry Potter obsession. I adore those books as well, though not as much as Tolkien's. I think if the Harry Potter series is a fantasy series (the author does not think so, understandably), it's definitely one of the top ten greatest of all time. I have many years before me and in that time I'll be reading a lot more authors, but the greatest fantasy authors I have become aquatinted with are Tolkien, Rowling, Steven Lawhead and Tad Williams. To speak of their works: Lord of the Rings-Harry Potter-Song of Albion and Memory, Sorrow and Thorn, respectively. Though, I have heard that Lawhead's Paendragon Cycle is even better than the Song of Albion books. I haven't read it yet, so I can't judge.
Old 04-10-2002, 11:38 PM   #24
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

I have nothing in particular against HP, in fact I think they're very good; they'd have to be to get so many people obessesed with them. It's just that my friend is being rather close-minded about it. Actually, I just mad at her in general right now, I guess, and she's been retaliating by insulting my obession. URGH! There is WAY too much drama with my friends right now. (sorry, this is just me being extremely frustrated)

So, my ranting over, I noticed you wern't very quick to defend her Backstreet Boys obessesion, lol.
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 04:48 AM   #25
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor
So, my ranting over, I noticed you wern't very quick to defend her Backstreet Boys obessesion, lol.
Oh puh-lease! We may be insane but we do have our dignity.
Old 04-11-2002, 07:54 AM   #26
Elf Girl
Lurker

I was obbsessed with Harry Potter for over a year. They're great books, just different than Tolkien.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 12:47 AM   #27
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

A Backstreet Boy obsession is indeed frightening, and rather unhealthy.
Old 04-12-2002, 08:40 AM   #28
Elf Girl
Lurker

You speak for me also.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 12:29 AM   #29
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Hello Azalea and Elvet! Yes I live in a Tolkien void that seems magnified when I come to Entmoot cause everyone's in highschool. I've met some lovely young people here, but it's kind of hard to communicate with them sometimes. I'm looking down the barrel at 50, but am just as "obsessed" with Tolkien as when I was in high school. I embroidered the Three rings poem and Far over the Misty Mountains poem on my shirts in high school. I couldn't stop myself! I remember giving an oral book report on The Hobbit and blushing so deeply cause I got very excited telling everyone how wonderful it was! Now, the only lady I know who likes Tolkien is a purist and won't go to the movie. My husband went, but I hate having to explain basic stuff when I'm so enthralled with it all. Well, the void is here, it makes me feel lonely, I wish we could see TT together and ooh and ahh!

Last edited by Lizra : 05-17-2002 at 12:38 AM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 12:42 PM   #30
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

My problem is slightly different...

I have friends who think they're tolkien fans-but aren't. A typical conversation goes something like this:

Me: Tolkien tolkien tolkien.

My friend: Yeah, well, uh.

Me: Oh boy... you guys don't know much about tolkien, you know?

Other friend: Hey! What am I reading here?

Me: The hobbit? You've got to be kidding me!

Friend: What?

Me: Oh, yeah. I read the hobbit in third grade. Is that all the tolkien you've been exposed to?

Friend: well...

Me: Grrr...

Another classic one happened when my friend asked me about arwen, and it came out that he had actually never read any of the books, but was claiming fanship based on the movie. It's horrible.
Old 05-17-2002, 08:13 PM   #31
Elvet
Elven Warrior

Lizra - I would like to chat further about LotR. Tried to PM you but no contact #. Give me a shout via PM.
Old 05-17-2002, 09:56 PM   #32
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I will Elvet! (once I figure it out). I have a big shindig going on tomorrow but will chat you up soon, Thanks!
Old 05-20-2002, 04:09 PM   #33
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

I have this problem as well, but i don't hide it.
Only one of my friends is as mad as i am about LOTR and she is Varda Oiolosseo here on Entmoot.
My walls in my room are plastered in posters of the film, and my book shelf are mostly guides to tolkein and the books. At the moment I only have LOTR and the Silmarillion, but I havn't seen the other books at any book shops that are near me.
The computer has LOTR wallpaper, screensaver, music, lesson to learn Quenya, the lot.
I bought the soundtrack and that is always on.
My family think that i am crazy, but my mum and dad say that I will grow out of it. My sister thinks that i am crazy and need therapy and my bro is "Jimbo" here as well.
When ever i start talking about LOTR at school my freinds just say "not again" which is funny. Then it is followed by "oh my god you are obsessed! Snap out of it girl. Clear your mind. you are not in middle earth ok? You are at school. NO lord of the rings"
It only takes a short trip to the school library to get a copy of LOTR out to calm myself down.

I think that i will stop now because this post is getting long and boring, not to mention rambling.

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"That's it, set it all on fire; we're gonna smoke out Escaflowne!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Ërendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 06:54 PM   #34
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Hi Erendil, That's a shame nobody in your school is into LoTR. I hate being alone. Maybe if you played it cool for awhile and then casually suggest someone see the movie with you, they might like it. It's a great movie plain and simple. Keep your obsession under wraps! Do someone a favor and get them hooked!
Old 05-22-2002, 05:00 PM   #35
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

Thats the trouble Lizra
All of then accept 2 have seen the film and hated it. They said it was a boring story and it was too long. They say the same for the book and no one is interested. Its just me and Varda in our own little LOTR world...actually we are better now since the movie went out at the cinema.

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Old 05-22-2002, 07:49 PM   #36
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I can't hardly believe that Erendil, you certainly derserve better. Don't worry about it then, come to Entmoot and be happy!
Old 05-25-2002, 04:06 PM   #37
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

Entmoot is a great site. It helps ease the pain of almost no one liking LOTR at school. Well done entmoot.

(The last part sounds a little cheesy but hey)

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"