Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-04-2002, 06:55 PM   #1
Elvet
Elven Warrior

Tolkien void

I'm not sure if this thread should be here or in general messages, but I'm sure an admin. will let me know.
After seeing the TT trailer, I'm major pumped about anything Tolkien. The problem is that all my coworkers and friends have no interest in the topic. It is so frustrating! I'm reading Tolkien letters at work, HomE at home,and listening to the soundtack in the car. I've got picture downloads on my office bulletin board - everyone thinks I'm insane to be so obsessed.
When I'm home, I spend a lot of time on the computer and on the Moot, just to be saturated in Middle-earth discussions. Of course, that only makes me seem more compulsive. Maybe this is just a
'phase' (as my mom used to say) that I'll grow out of - but, heck, I'm in my 40's!
Anyone else out there in a Tolkien void? ( When you're not on the computer, of course)
Old 04-04-2002, 11:55 PM   #2
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

SORT of...it's kind of hard for me to, because if I act too obsessed, my parents think I'm addicted, and get worried. But I do read LOTR when I'm not reading "To Kill a Mockingbird" or "Animal Farm," and I try to finish the Unfinished Tales. And as soon as my room as walls, Middle Earth will be painted on them!
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 11:58 PM   #3
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

I have that problem too! NONE of my friends are obessed with Tolkien and I have yet to find anyone at my school who is, can you believe that?!

I have compensated by copying the YKYLTTMW list onto my binder in my free time at school.
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 01:34 PM   #4
Elf Girl
Lurker

I am, too. I have to mask my enthusiasm, cuz my little brother's to young to read them-he's only 7, he'd be scarred for life-and my parents have read it, but they're not obbsessed.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 09:22 PM   #5
Khadrane
Elf Lord

I have one friend who is a Tolkien fan (but not a fanatic) and one who is a newbie. (Ugh! ) I still talk about Tolkien though. I drive them crazy.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 02:25 AM   #6
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I have loved the LOTR since about 1997 when I first read the book, but I wasn't really obsessed. I wasn't even that excited about seeing the movie (I didn't even see the movie till the middle of January). Now I think I am obsessed. I am so excited about the TT movie and I can't stop thinking about Middle Earth! My sisters have read the book and liked the movie, but they are not obsessed. Oh well, I guess I'm in the right place.
Old 04-06-2002, 02:58 AM   #7
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
There is a bit of a void in my school, but not much. I'm probably the most obsessed, though I can bring it up with my Tolkien literate friends every once in awhile.
Old 04-06-2002, 03:06 AM   #8
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Heh. I live in a freakin' ABYSS. No one here's obsessed with anything. Forget Tolkien, there aren't even any teeny-bopper NSYNC fans around here. Not a whiff of obsession for miles around. *sigh*

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 09:58 AM   #9
Khadrane
Elf Lord

That's kind of what my school is like. There were alot of people obsessed with Pokemon in sixth grade, and that's about it.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 01:33 PM   #10
Daughter of Elros

As 3/4 of my school is Virtually illiterate, the probbly could'nt even spell "TOLKIEN", let alone read it. My best friend though, is very definately a tolkien addict, and whenever we call each other, we talk about nothing excepy tolkien, Middle Earth, Tolkien, Lord of the Rings, Tolkien, and the Movies!
Daughter of Elros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 01:39 PM   #11
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Gollum

It's not that bad around here. My sister likes LOTR a lot, but she's just a fan and has shown even until now no a trace of any obsession. A friend of mine is a LOTRfan too, but since she moved to attend a university she is from under my (good) influence and she hardly has time to be Tolkien-obsessed. I was hoping the movie would spark it back into full obsessiondom but no such luck. Another friend of mine has the makings of a Tolkien-obsession and I can talk with her about the movies and LOTR but go beyond that and she's lost. The people around here equall my obsession at least and know even more than I do! This place is paradise, I tell you!
Old 04-06-2002, 04:36 PM   #12
Elvet
Elven Warrior

It would be nice to talk about Tolkien in real time. I guess I'll have to find some converts.
Old 04-06-2002, 08:32 PM   #13
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

My school is essentially a void...very sad.
Old 04-07-2002, 12:35 AM   #14
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

My mind is always wandering. Often it is dancing in the bright land beyond the West, on never-fading green.
Old 04-09-2002, 03:12 PM   #15
galadriel
Elven Warrior

I am lucky enough to have two friends who are extremely addiction-prone, and who are both LOTR fans. Most of my other friends are weird enough themselves to put up with us, even when we're having long conversations debating balrog wings, or whether vampires go to the bathroom (ok, that was a Buffy conversation, but you get the picture).

Everyone else in my school is more-or-less normal and boring, but we all have a mutual understanding: if they agree to zone out our high-pitched squeals about elves and vampires, we'll ignore their rantings about eyeliner and sales at the Gap.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 04:42 PM   #16
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Elvet, you are not alone. I have sunk into a Tolkien Void as well. My friends make fun of me on stien night at the brew pub as I drink from my Burger King Goblet (the Gandalf one).

No one will ask me what movie to see because they know the answer. Oh well. Thank god for entmoot!

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 08:40 PM   #17
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

I'm not really obsessed but I like the books and the movie very, very, very much!

Elvet, that's a good idea to read the letters at work.....That way you aren't right in the middle of a scene when break's over.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 08:50 PM   #18
Elf Girl
Lurker

Ack! A not-obbsessed one! Really, cee2lee2, be careful around the insane Entmooters.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 08:59 PM   #19
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

I'll heed your warning, Elf Girl, and git myself outta here!
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 09:11 PM   #20
Halley_Brandybuck
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by FrodoFriend
Forget Tolkien, there aren't even any teeny-bopper NSYNC fans around here. Not a whiff of obsession for miles around. *sigh*
Excuse me? I resent - er resemble that remark!

my dad hasn't read it for a while and me and him talk about it but the only contact my brother has had (older, mind you) is the movie

but my friends are used to me being obsessed with things... Im an N Sync freak (I saw Lotr on Thursday and then went to an N Sync concert of Friday... pretty good balance there, no?)

I am in search of an MPEG version of the trailer... if anyone finds one, let me know!

Do not meddle in the affairs of females for they are PMS-ing and quick to batter.

"He fears you Aragorn, and what you may become"

Two Towers in 6 months!
Halley_Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote