FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-02-2003, 09:24 AM   #21
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
when Jack died, it was like an axe-blow to the trunk...' [/B]

Just wondering...... Who was Jack?

Last edited by Elvengirl : 08-08-2004 at 04:00 PM.
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 06:47 PM   #22
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Sorry, I should have put a footnote - C. S. Lewis went by "Jack" to his friends.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 08:10 PM   #23
galadriel
Elven Warrior

With a name like "Clive", who wouldn't?

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 10:22 PM   #24
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by GrayMouser
Tolkien disliked Lewis's new friend Charles Williams, who was fairly heavily into the occult (and whom Tolkien may have considered not up to the same intellectual standard)
Really? Defing 'occult' as...?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 01:55 PM   #25
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

In C.S. Lewis' sci-fi trilogy he mentions that if people want to know more about "Numinor and the true west" to read pending work by Tolkien.
Old 08-06-2004, 03:38 PM   #26
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
i thinki it would be cool. but no one can go into middle earth like thye can go into narnia .so i f they were connected the wouldnt people be able to go into middle earth too?
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."-Dr. Bruce Banner
HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
b.banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 03:10 PM   #27
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

As tempting as it is to try and mix Narnia and Middle Earth they tend to clash. Narnia has too much allegory mixed with childish innocnece to mix well with Middle Earth. And Middle Earth is much too openly serious to fit well with Narnia.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 04:22 PM   #28
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

A few of the lines in JRRTs uncomleted epic poem, the Lay of Leithian, had some collaberation by Lewis.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:11 AM   #29
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane
Should'nt Narnia supposed to be somewhere beyond Mordor? I personally think it should, although it's by different authors [after all, C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien were best friends (so I've heard)]? Actually, they have some of the same place names, such as the Northern Wastes. Wouldn't that be interesting?!
n00b! Your logic is flawed.

I've not read either since I originally posted this, but as I have an excellent memory when it comes to these things, it no longer makes any sense. I have severe problems with crossovers, and they bother me now. But there's more to it than this. One has to squint real hard to make the borders of allegory and epic disappear between the two.

I also would like to point out the first sentence, particularly the first three words, a grammatical error.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:40 AM   #30
caboose007
Sapling

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane
n00b! Your logic is flawed.

I've not read either since I originally posted this, but as I have an excellent memory when it comes to these things, it no longer makes any sense. I have severe problems with crossovers, and they bother me now. But there's more to it than this. One has to squint real hard to make the borders of allegory and epic disappear between the two.

I also would like to point out the first sentence, particularly the first three words, a grammatical error.
Damn you got there before me but still I've read both the Narnia and Middle-earth books and they are completely different from one another.

I mean Narnia is placed in a cupboard for a start and that cupboard with Narnia in is on Earth where an even bigger realm holds them all and set during WWII. It confused me to the brink of my youth. Middle-earth however is set as a prehistoric Britain and Northern Europe as though in another Universe.

Also Elves would have to exist in Narnia along with Sauron if it was on Middle-earth. Elves travelled from the East along Middle-earth and many remained behind on the road.

Oh yeah. MEN DON'T EXIST IN NARNIA! thats why all the talking animals, yes talking animals, get all excited because four humans were destined to rule Narnia.

Seriously the whole concept of putting these two worlds together would be flawed to the point that everyones heads would explode from the sheer stupidness of it.
caboose007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:02 AM   #31
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by caboose007

Oh yeah. MEN DON'T EXIST IN NARNIA! thats why all the talking animals, yes talking animals, get all excited because four humans were destined to rule Narnia.
Well, they didn't exist in the country of Narnia, but they certainly existed in Archenland, Calormen and the islands during the reign of the White Witch.

Quote:
Seriously the whole concept of putting these two worlds together would be flawed to the point that everyones heads would explode from the sheer stupidness of it.
Starting with Professor JRR, who hated the Narnia books.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:48 AM   #32
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Originally Posted by galadriel
With a name like "Clive", who wouldn't?
He named himself after - I'm not making this up! - the family dog.

In any case, I believe that the cosmologies are somewhat mutually exclusive. While at first I thought that the multiverse of Narnia (shown as one of many parallel worlds in The Magician's Nephew) would allow for Middle Earth to be, as it were, 'folded in' with those. However, upon further consideration I don't think Middle Earth would really work in such a context.

Oh, sure, there a few minor points of congruity - both worlds begin with music, and both of them have 'heaven' across the seas in the west. But that's about it. Middle Earth is a singular, specially-created world - it is presented as the first and only of it's kind, a thing of wonder even Melkor who has traversed the empty void. If there were other worlds adjoining it, it would seem very odd that even the Valar were not in on the joke. Even more, I don't think Middle Earth could countenance the idea of visitors from another universe - which is practically a staple of the Narnia series, which as pointed out has Humans existing only as migrants from Earth.

I don't think they're actually that compatible after all, to wit, the strain of trying to connect the two worlds would probably shatter them both.

In an unrelated matter, C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy presents the character of Merlin (yes, that Merlin) as being the last surviving descendant of Atlantis, which in that book is also named Numenor.

Make of that what you will.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:52 PM   #33
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer
In an unrelated matter, C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy presents the character of Merlin (yes, that Merlin) as being the last surviving descendant of Atlantis, which in that book is also named Numenor.

Make of that what you will.
I think that was a direct tribute to Tolkien, who was reading LoTR to the Inklings at the time.

Doesn't Ransom say something along the lines of "more of the history of Numenor will be revealed"? i.e. it's only been mentioned in passing by Tolkien.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:04 PM   #34
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider

I once brought this up...
It was met quickly with the responce that Middle Earth was ment to be earth in times forgotten and Narnia is ment to be another world alltogether.

So no, they can't be the same world, sorry.
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:03 PM   #35
The Sasquatch of Fangorn
The Co-president of Entmoot - The Half-Dwarven Guardian of the Ancient Forest

but it would still be cool

"she turned me into a newt!!........but I got better."-Monty Python and the holy grail.

Thanks for breaking up the group Yoko!"- The reduced Shakespeare company.

Fly Eagles fly, on the road to victory.
Fight Eagles fight, score a touchdown 1-2-3.

Hit 'em low,
Hit 'em high,
And we'll watch our Eagles fly.

Fly Eagles fly on the road to victory.
The Sasquatch of Fangorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:32 PM   #36
Feredir
Sapling

Troll's Bane,
I think that Arda (Tolkien's world) and Narnia are 2 separate worlds. I have seen and made a plethora of maps of Arda, although I have not (YET) read the Narnia series, and nowhere is there a place called Narnia. It is not a Sindarin word (although it is similar to Nurn, a region in southern Mordor).
Feredir is offline   Reply With Quote