Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-12-2005, 05:35 PM   #1
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider Middle earth conections

Do you think that middle earth and C.S. Lewises "Narnia" are in the same world? J.R.R. Tolken and C.S. Lewis where friends!

This is my most far feched tread yet!
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 05:38 PM   #2
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

I think it is unlikely that Tolkien and Lewis set their stories in the same world. You have read The Chronicles of Narnia, no?
Although they were good friends, they wrote separate stories for which separate worlds were required to make up the context.
I'm pretty sure you know this, and are just posting to raise discussion, but I don't see how much discussion can really be accomplished on this topic.

My DA page
Embladyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 05:52 PM   #3
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Well... Tolkien's Middle Earth was supposed to have been Our Earth in the indescribably ancient past.

CS Lewis's Narnia stories were centered around children from Our Earth that went to other worlds through whatever means.

So they wouldn't have been the same world, but simply taking the way they are presented there would have been a connection between the two.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:59 PM   #4
Embladyne

well, if the discusion goes in that direction, that's a fun thing to talk about, Wayfarer.

My DA page
Old 01-12-2005, 06:08 PM   #5
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Also, in the last book of 'The Space Trilogy' by CS Lewis, the character Merlin claims to be a descendant of Numenore, implying, again, that the world is the same as Middle Earth (and the stories are also rather similar, involving conflicts between the 'elvish' folks who respect goodness and beauty and the 'orcish' folks who want to take control of the world in order to 'modernize' it in much the same way sauron did - through tyranny and thought control)
Old 01-12-2005, 06:32 PM   #6
Manveru
Elven Warrior

there are some similarities between the two(like how they were both created by songs) but there are tonnes of differences (Narnia is in a flat world but Middle-earth turns round after numenor is destroyed). perhaps the 'emperor beyond the sea' is really Manwe and Aslan is a Maiar
Where the shores are sheer and dim
He launched his bark like a silver spark
From the last and lonely sand;
Then on sunlit breath of day's fiery death
He sailed from Westerland
Manveru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 06:40 PM   #7
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

Location: somewhere in the solar system... more specifically NJ...
now that is a streeeeeeeeeetch.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:50 PM   #8
Embladyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manveru
perhaps the 'emperor beyond the sea' is really Manwe and Aslan is a Maiar
I like that

My DA page
Old 01-12-2005, 10:23 PM   #9
inked
Elf Lord

Lewis does refer to Numinor as noted. JRRT commented that this was a direct borrowing by Lewis but that the spelling Lewis gave it was a result of hearing it and not reading it!

I am afraid the Aslan as Maiar will not function though. Aslan is the Son of the Emperor beyond the Sea. In Middle Earth, Eru is not incarnated until ages and ages after LoTR. This is the part that Tolkien said he would not dare to write! Though there are intimations of the anticipation in a prophecy in MORGOTH'S RING, "The Dialog of Finrod and Andreth" -

"The One will himself enter into Arda, and heal Men and all the Marring from the beginning to the end. This [the Wise] say also, or they feign, is a rumor that has come down through years uncounted, even from the days of our undoing."

Now, when Eru enters Arda, and not until then, we have the equivalent of Aslan in Narnia. Remember that when the eldest Pevensie children are told they will not be returning to Narnia, Aslan tells them to look for Him in their world under another name. And recall that for those who have trod the Uttermost Sea to Aslan's Country there waits The Son of the Emperor over the Sea in the guise of a milk-white Lamb!

Tolkien's world of ME is in OUR world three to four ages ago(pre-incarnational, patriarchal-monotheistic) and is NOT equivalent to Narnia (post-Incarnational, Trinitarian). Each world (though not each story!) has the same Creator but is in a different stage of revelation, if I may use theological terms to distinguish the apparent differences.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941

Last edited by inked : 01-12-2005 at 10:35 PM. Reason: additons for clarity of expression
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 09:52 PM   #10
me9996
Ring-smith

Strider Oh boy!

Quote:
there are some similarities between the two(like how they were both created by songs) but there are tonnes of differences (Narnia is in a flat world but Middle-earth turns round after numenor is destroyed). perhaps the 'emperor beyond the sea' is really Manwe and Aslan is a Maiar
No, a valar!

P.S.
One thing to sumport this treary is that in middle earth the wild is in the north and east and in Narnia it's to the north and west.

P.P.S.
The haradim and colermeans are a lot alike to!

P.P.P.S.
If this "P.P.P.S." thing is bad gramer then gandalf has it to!
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!

Old 01-13-2005, 09:57 PM   #11
inked
Elf Lord

Yo, Dudes!

Aslan would be Eru. See above post by me for the long winded note.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 01-14-2005, 12:18 AM   #12
Forkbeard
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by me9996
No, a valar!

P.S.
One thing to sumport this treary is that in middle earth the wild is in the north and east and in Narnia it's to the north and west.

P.P.S.
The haradim and colermeans are a lot alike to!

P.P.P.S.
If this "P.P.P.S." thing is bad gramer then gandalf has it to!

Nothing unusual about these things though. The north--whether west or east--is the place out of which evil comes in many mythologies--including the Bible and a good deal of medieval literature. So that two medievalists and two Christian authors should in their own creative work use the north as the place where wild and evil things are should occasion no surprise.

The haradrim and carlormen are indeed a lot alike---again, the bad guy for the great majority of middle and high medieval lit and early modern lit is the Muslim--specifically the Turk who were such a threat to Christian Europe. Again that two professional medievalists well steeped in medieval literatures should have enemy peoples who look a lot like a real world enemy in the literature they teach isn't surprising either.
Forkbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 02:26 PM   #13
Manveru
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Yo, Dudes!

Aslan would be Eru. See above post by me for the long winded note.

so Eru is the son of the Emperor beyond the sea?? Aslan could be Orome, who was the only Valar to go that far east
Where the shores are sheer and dim
He launched his bark like a silver spark
From the last and lonely sand;
Then on sunlit breath of day's fiery death
He sailed from Westerland
Manveru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 03:48 PM   #14
Beregond
Hobbit

I dont think they were meant to be the same world. however Treebeard is actually meaant to be tolkiens way of describing C.S. Lewis so he put him in the LOTR and hence invented the ents
Beregond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 04:14 PM   #15
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
so Eru is the son of the Emperor beyond the sea?? Aslan could be Orome, who was the only Valar to go that far east
NOPE, and NOPE. See post #9 in this thread.

Beregrond,

Have you read CS Lewis' space trilogy? The chief protagonist, Ransom, is based by Lewis on JRR Tolkien! Very interesting to compare Treebeard and Ransom, I think. They are so similar and yet each is unique. In this regard, the Ransom in Perelandra is particularly like Treebeard facing Saruman, I think.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:39 PM   #16
me9996
Ring-smith

Strider Huh?

Quote:
NOPE, and NOPE. See post #9 in this thread.

Beregrond,

Have you read CS Lewis' space trilogy? The chief protagonist, Ransom, is based by Lewis on JRR Tolkien! Very interesting to compare Treebeard and Ransom, I think. They are so similar and yet each is unique. In this regard, the Ransom in Perelandra is particularly like Treebeard facing Saruman, I think.
Then does that mean treebeard is like Tolken?
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!

Old 01-18-2005, 10:53 PM   #17
Embladyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by me9996
Then does that mean treebeard is like Tolken?
I think not. I think the point was to compare the way the authors chose to portray each other in their own work...I need to read Perelandra, but have no money really left over from buying text books, so I hope the library has them.

My DA page
Old 01-19-2005, 11:07 AM   #18
inked
Elf Lord

Ransom = Tolkien

Treebeard = Lewis

That is the way the character development worked for each of the authors in their works. It is a starting point of ideas and it is fun to see the similarities and differences. I suspect there are other portrayals of various Inklings had we but the wit to see them!
Old 02-14-2005, 09:19 PM   #19
me9996
Ring-smith

Strider

Quote:
Lewis does refer to Numinor as noted. JRRT commented that this was a direct borrowing by Lewis but that the spelling Lewis gave it was a result of hearing it and not reading it!

I am afraid the Aslan as Maiar will not function though. Aslan is the Son of the Emperor beyond the Sea. In Middle Earth, Eru is not incarnated until ages and ages after LoTR. This is the part that Tolkien said he would not dare to write! Though there are intimations of the anticipation in a prophecy in MORGOTH'S RING, "The Dialog of Finrod and Andreth" -

"The One will himself enter into Arda, and heal Men and all the Marring from the beginning to the end. This [the Wise] say also, or they feign, is a rumor that has come down through years uncounted, even from the days of our undoing."

Now, when Eru enters Arda, and not until then, we have the equivalent of Aslan in Narnia. Remember that when the eldest Pevensie children are told they will not be returning to Narnia, Aslan tells them to look for Him in their world under another name. And recall that for those who have trod the Uttermost Sea to Aslan's Country there waits The Son of the Emperor over the Sea in the guise of a milk-white Lamb!

Tolkien's world of ME is in OUR world three to four ages ago(pre-incarnational, patriarchal-monotheistic) and is NOT equivalent to Narnia (post-Incarnational, Trinitarian). Each world (though not each story!) has the same Creator but is in a different stage of revelation, if I may use theological terms to distinguish the apparent differences.
I think you're working backwards...
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!

Old 03-16-2005, 08:50 PM   #20
me9996