mirrille
Elven Warrior

There's not going to be an ending!

Mwahahahaha!
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 07:33 PM   #22
Anthy Rose
Sapling

I've heard there are going to be twelve books in all.

I'm still in The Path of Daggers....been trying to get through it for about two years now. ^^;; I read books one through six really quickly about five years ago, but when Crown of Swords came out I started to lose intrest. Yet, I still want to know what will happen to the characters. Seems like a lot of people share that opinion. So good in the beginning, but now it seems Jordan is just milking the series....have you seen the new version paperbacks out that are about half as long as the originals? >_<
Anthy Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 10:18 AM   #23
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

well Im starting book four.

I really liked that way he handled that lady who tryed to...... interupt his sleep?......(ahem)

bet she wont try that again

I think its wered how he is making Rand and Engwen brake up.

I also liked it when Elayn and Engwen were trying ot help him with the power.

I agree with him. they said they wanted to feel something, however a pinch on the arm would have worked as well

heheheh boy they got him back though
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 01:58 AM   #24
mirrille
Elven Warrior

I finally got a copy of Winter's Heart. But I'm going to have to ration myself with this because I've got so much other stuff to do.

I was in the bookstore going to buy it and my brother said, "Hehe..Robert Jordan. Apparently if you own Robert Jordan books, you're a geek."
I was thinking, "so where did he get this idea?"
And then he was like, "yeah. Owning Tolkien is OK because everyone owns Tolkien, but Robert Jordan makes you a geek."
Haha... That makes alot of people I know geeks.

Anyways, I'm noticing that some of the characters are getting on my nerves. Has anyone else noticed that virtually all the female characters are incredibly highstrung. The men, only some of them are nuts, but all the women are up to their ears in pride and tend to fly off the handle very very easily. Maybe it's because most of them are Ladies, Queens or Aes Sedai by now?
The first one that shows she can keep a cool head is going to get promoted to being my favourite character.
Old 02-03-2002, 02:29 AM   #25
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Advice on Winter's Heart: Just read the last chapter. Nothing happens in the rest of it.

I HATE the women! They're all essentially the same annoying, stuck-up, prissy personality! I really like Nynaeve in the first book, but then she degenerated and became like all the others. *sigh*

Most of the men suck too. Rand got all muscly and arrogant and weird. The only good character left is Mat.

FAILE MUST DIE!!!!!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 04:36 PM   #26
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Wah!!
Something happens in the last chapter? It's better than I could have hoped. Now I'm all excited. Hehehe
The women...are all...they need some training in anger management. Nynaeve started out sensible, but she got annoying really quickly.
I thought Mat was the first to get really annoying. But that was because of the magic dagger, i guess. He's still such a child though.
I thought Faile was cool while she was still Zarine. She and Perrin actually made a good couple. But once they got married, she went all weird and now I feel sorry for Perrin.
Old 02-03-2002, 05:03 PM   #27
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Yes, the last chapter's cool!

I can't wait for the Last Battle to put them all out of their misery.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

Old 02-03-2002, 11:16 PM   #28
Anthy Rose
Sapling

Quote:
Originally posted by FrodoFriend
Yes, the last chapter's cool!

I can't wait for the Last Battle to put them all out of their misery.
LOL. That's the way I'm starting to feel about all the characters. Just kill them already!!! ^^;;; And I really liked some of them to start out with. Mat's the only one I can still stand. Perrin always falling over himself over Faile, Rand is crazy, the women in the series bicker bicker bicker bicker.....
Anthy Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 09:55 PM   #29
mirrille
Elven Warrior

With that many cranky women who are all really powerful channelers, who needs a Dark Lord? They can bring about Apocalyse just by themselves. Someone insults someone else, things get out of hand...it just become one giganitic Saidar lightning show. If just one of them is strong enough to obliterate a city, then a few hundred could obliterate the continent. Wise Ones against Aes Sedai against Athan Miere against Seanchean. It's getting messy.
One thing I don't get is how the Aes Sedai seem to train their people to be really headstrong. Everyone plots against everyone else and I'm surprised the Tower didn't split up centuries ago. Their "Dune" counterparts (I really think RJ was copying this story when he made the Aes Sedai, the coincidences are just too huge), the Bene Gesserit, would have them for breakfast and they wouldn't know what hit them. No unity. No discipline.
bicker bicker bicker bicker snarrrrl!
Old 02-05-2002, 01:56 AM   #30
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

The Seanchan invade . . . the Seanchan are driven back.

Is it just me, or does that get really old? The Aes Sedai are all dumb. They drive me nuts, with their superiority complex.

Mat is cool! The Aiel are cool too. Mat and the Aiel should get together and take over the world. Gawyn and Min are okay too.

Why does Rand get all crazy in the Dragon Reborn and then less crazy, and then crazy again, and then less crazy again? And why the heck do he need THREE women???

Old 02-09-2002, 03:47 AM   #31
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Oh my god! Rand practically has a whole harem in his head. That's sick! What do they all see in him?
this series is getting weirder and weirder.

Is it just me, or does Robert Jordan spend alot of his time describing clothing and jewellery? Considering how desperate the situation is, I don't understand how everybody manages to buy nice new clothes and jewellery for every place they go to. I mean, jewellery especially, is not something that you generally buy all the time. Most normal people have a few pieces that they like, or was given to them for a special reason and in a situation where you are moving around, you would just wear the same necklace/bracelet/ring all the time. I don't understand how come the girls always have new jewellery all the time. It doesn't make sense. What do they do with their old clothes?
Old 02-09-2002, 06:40 PM   #32
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

He has to spend chapters describing their clothing in order to keep the books up to 600 pages w/o having anything actually happen.

Old 02-09-2002, 09:10 PM   #33
sepulchrave
Enting

Thank you all so much for letting me know about these books...Based on your reactions and comments, I guess that I will never need to waste any money on them. I must give you all credit for perseverance, at least! I hope the ending is not a total dissapointment, it would be a shame to have spent all that time only to be let down by a poor finale!
sepulchrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 09:11 PM   #34
sepulchrave
Enting

disappointment. oops
sepulchrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 05:44 PM   #35
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by sepulchrave
Thank you all so much for letting me know about these books...Based on your reactions and comments, I guess that I will never need to waste any money on them. I must give you all credit for perseverance, at least! I hope the ending is not a total dissapointment, it would be a shame to have spent all that time only to be let down by a poor finale!
Haha!
Yeah. We got sucked in when the series was still good. It's too late for us!
Old 02-14-2002, 01:49 AM   #36
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Yes, we're doomed . . . DOOMED to read every book all the way up to number 15 or however many it will be!!!

Old 02-14-2002, 12:32 PM   #37
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Hey, I'm not complaning.

while they may be turning bad they are long.

Finaly a book I wont finish in half a day.

besides.

the more books he puts out the more stuff there will be in the RPG game when I finaly get to buy it!
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 02:18 PM   #38
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

What?

I finished every single one of the WOT books in half a day. Even the sucky ones.

Get the Eddingses, man.

I think the wheel of time sucks in the same way that the Dune books did.

the characters start out as fairly real people, and then they degenerate into... I don't even know.

Rand, Mat, and Perin were all cool in the first few books. Then
Rand became this inhuman dragon-person, and obviously Jordan has no idea how to write somehting like that.
Perrin was REALLy cool for a while with all the wolf stuff. ANd then he became the lord of something-or-other and he's been boring since.
Mat was only moderately cool, with the spear and the immunity to magic and the sweet luck, and whole bunch of other stuff. It seems like he's joining the dung-heap in the last few books.

It really pisses me off that even the main characters get something like three pages in the last book. A little too complex to be interesting.

As for the girls... let me just say that robert jordan is one of those types who has yet to figure out that females are human. His women are completely one dimensional, and terribly done. Anyone notice that no matter how *ahem* 'strong' his female characters are, they seem to exist soley for the purpose of a) sex b)getting in the way and c) sex.

Once again... you ought to read eddingses. all their characters are very well balanced.
Old 02-16-2002, 09:31 PM   #39
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

"Ed-ding-ses"?

At least Robert Jordan's world is well-rounded. You can't fault him for creating place names, people, cultures, histories, etc. Except they're hard to keep apart sometimes (okay . . . usually).

I sorta like the Asha'man. Especially after they took all those Aes Sedai captive.
Mat's the best! But now he's met that strange Seanchan woman and I'm afraid of what will happen.

As for the women . . . well, if Robert Jordan spends his whole life writing books like this, is it any wonder he doesn't have any women around him to show him what we're really like?