Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-10-2006, 12:18 PM   #21
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Study other languages first, I recommend. Familiarity with at least the basic lay-out of more than one language would help a lot with the construction of one's own language.
what kind of langiages did you have in mind? like Tolkien's and some other fantasy writers??

Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer:
Rimmo nin Bruinen dan in Ulaer!

REST IN PEACE GRANDMA, GREAT AUNT, GREAT UNCLE .....they're gunna fly with the angels now so say goodbye..but i can't. You don't really realize the importance of someone until they are gone
Tamuril Sirfalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:20 PM   #22
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion
As a random comment in the spirit of this thread, there was a character named "Moria" in Robert Jordan's book A Path of Daggers.
thats very interesting..i wonder if i can actually keep that horse name i was talking about...

REST IN PEACE GRANDMA, GREAT AUNT, GREAT UNCLE .....they're gunna fly with the angels now so say goodbye..but i can't. You don't really realize the importance of someone until they are gone
Old 05-10-2006, 12:22 PM   #23
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriadoc Brandybuck
What if someone was writing a story in todays world about a character who is obsessed with Tolkien and his work, and calls his horse Shadowfax, and knows Elvish? Would there be a problem then?
hmmm thats difficult very difficult...i dunno i suppose...what do you think mods? anyone??

Old 05-10-2006, 12:57 PM   #24
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
As a random comment in the spirit of this thread, there was a character named "Moria" in Robert Jordan's book A Path of Daggers.
That reminds me how the sci-fi series Babylon 5 had a bunch of fella's calling themselves Rangers, a character named Lorien and an evil place called Zah'dum. But then again Strazinski, the writer, did on one occasion refer to himself as the 'Tolkien of science-fiction', if I'm not mistaken. (I even recall an old entmoot-thread on the comparison.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriadoc Brandybuck
What if someone was writing a story in todays world about a character who is obsessed with Tolkien and his work, and calls his horse Shadowfax, and knows Elvish? Would there be a problem then?
I must admit I wouldn't know. I suppose it will depend on how much detail and Tolkien-elements you eventually use. If I was writing for a living and found myself writing something like that, I'd check with my editor to absolutely be sure.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:09 PM   #25
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

names

so with all these authors using names like "moria" and others...do you think i'd still get away with using Valandil as a horse's name?

Old 05-16-2006, 03:48 PM   #26
Earniel

I don't think one horse name is going to cause much trouble.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:03 PM   #27
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
I don't think one horse name is going to cause much trouble.
alright cool...how many names do you think someone could use before they got sued?

Old 05-23-2006, 10:11 PM   #28
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Quote:
That reminds me how the sci-fi series Babylon 5 had a bunch of fella's calling themselves Rangers, a character named Lorien and an evil place called Zah'dum. But then again Strazinski, the writer, did on one occasion refer to himself as the 'Tolkien of science-fiction', if I'm not mistaken. (I even recall an old entmoot-thread on the comparison.)
I'm pretty sure that was intentional. Wikipedia had something about it, but I can't find it now. But it mentioned, for example, that someone plunged into an abyss in that Zah'dum place, and then later resurrected. Hmm...sound like anyone's favorite pipeweed-smoking wizard?
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:19 AM   #29
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamuril Sirfalas
alright cool...how many names do you think someone could use before they got sued?
I suppose that's something to be judged case by case.

But personally I think, that if you're trying to rip off as much source material as you can without being sued, you're approaching orginal fiction the wrong way.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that was intentional. Wikipedia had something about it, but I can't find it now. But it mentioned, for example, that someone plunged into an abyss in that Zah'dum place, and then later resurrected. Hmm...sound like anyone's favorite pipeweed-smoking wizard?
Yeah, you're probably right. I still think he went a leeetle overboard with it.

Last edited by Earniel : 05-24-2006 at 03:21 AM.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 12:15 PM   #30
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

[QUOTE=Eärniel]I suppose that's something to be judged case by case.

But personally I think, that if you're trying to rip off as much source material as you can without being sued, you're approaching orginal fiction the wrong way.

no no no im not trying to rip Tolkien off. i was just curious. i have already started making up my own language and its going pretty well actually. i would not rip him off ...its an insult to his memory

Old 05-24-2006, 02:50 PM   #31
Earniel

Then I misunderstood you. Apologies.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:23 PM   #32
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Then I misunderstood you. Apologies.
its alright im not blaming you or anything i would think that too if i hadn't typed it.

Old 07-16-2006, 11:49 PM   #33
Huorn
Elven Warrior

I write as a hobby. There is a remote possibility my stuff could get published. The closest to get to using Tolkien elements is to say that the person in the book is a fan of Tolkien. She finds herself in another world that is obviously not Tolkien's, even though her mind tries to make comparisions because this planet had short bearded folk and walking tree creatures. I don't specifically mention Tolkien's creatures, but it is inferred that is what the main character is thinking. It is apparent right away that these beings are not Tolkien Dwarves or Ents.

Just call me Oakie
Huorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:22 PM   #34
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entwife_Oak
I write as a hobby. There is a remote possibility my stuff could get published. The closest to get to using Tolkien elements is to say that the person in the book is a fan of Tolkien. She finds herself in another world that is obviously not Tolkien's, even though her mind tries to make comparisions because this planet had short bearded folk and walking tree creatures. I don't specifically mention Tolkien's creatures, but it is inferred that is what the main character is thinking. It is apparent right away that these beings are not Tolkien Dwarves or Ents.
hmm very interesting...you should make your own thread and post it, get some feedback...its nice to have you back!

Old 07-20-2006, 08:05 PM   #35
Curubethion

Slightly different topic, but...
What are everyone's thoughts on making veiled references to literary characters? For example: if you happen to have a halfling race, and you mention a pair of unusually tall halflings popping up in an inn, as minor characters. Most LOTR readers would recognize Merry and Pippin look-alikes, but you never actually put Merry or Pippin into the story.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Old 07-28-2006, 06:44 PM   #36
Earniel

Those can be real fun, if used properly, and sparingly IMO. And I can think of at least one published author who I can readily see using that technique.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:22 PM   #37
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Property rights issues aside, I think there's a very reasonable tendency to gravitate towards Tolkien's languages when it comes to naming people, places and things. Given Tolkien's background, it's no surprise to me that he's the only high fantasy author I can immediately think of whose constructed languages (and nomenclature) make sense, and have a feeling of consistency to them. And you'll notice that when it came to the Rohirrim, he borrowed most of the names and language directly from Old English, which made sense considering the kind of society he was depicting. And George R.R. Martin's names are a very limited departure from Middle English (and its continental counterparts of the period), which makes sense because A Song of Ice and Fire is modelled after the War of the Roses.

Obviously, don't steal. But do acknowledge that even if you go off inventing your own thing, you're following certain principles that were likely inspired by somebody - even if it's as broad as how Tolkien used consonants inflected at the front of the mouth for the Elves to make them seem light and flowing, and lots of hacking/coughing glottal sounds for the Orcs to make them seem, well, dirty.

And please, for the love of God, go easy on the apostrophes.

Quote:
What are everyone's thoughts on making veiled references to literary characters? For example: if you happen to have a halfling race, and you mention a pair of unusually tall halflings popping up in an inn, as minor characters. Most LOTR readers would recognize Merry and Pippin look-alikes, but you never actually put Merry or Pippin into the story.
Is it clever, or does it make a point? If not, don't do it. This happens more often in literature (across all genres) than you'd think.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 03:22 PM   #38
Curubethion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronParrot
Lol. You sound like a Robert Jordan reader who's suffered through Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve al'Meara, ta'veren...you get the idea.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:25 PM   #39
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
Lol. You sound like a Robert Jordan reader who's suffered through Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve al'Meara, ta'veren...you get the idea.
Very acute. I think I quit after seven.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:14 PM   #40
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronParrot
A good advice, that I think may be repeated one more time.

In the light of property rights and copyright, I thought this link may be interesting, explaining some of the common misconceptions that go around: 10 myths about copyright