Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-14-2002, 09:41 AM   #21
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by katya
hey i know, ents dancing. "you sway to the left, you sway to the right. shake you leaves and you're doing all right..."
LOL! Ents doing the hokey-pokey, shaking their leaves - I like that!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 06:31 PM   #22
katya
Elven Maiden

hehehe...you put your right branch-arm in, you take your right brach-arm out...hokey pokey...thats kind of scary though.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 05:23 AM   #23
The Ringbearer
Elven Warrior

Location: Crickhollow in the summer, and Rivendell in the winter
Treebeard

That is VERY scary!

Playing with my sister, I get all these incredibly terrifying images (no thanks to her ) ; like Ringwraiths singing on-stage while dancing that dance from Encino Man.....

Or zillions of hypnotized hobbits doing the Chicken Dance......

Creeeeeeeepy.

'But you're a part of this world! Aren't you?'

Frodo lives!
The Ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 11:53 AM   #24
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

"you put your whole trunk in" *gigantic WHUMP as giant ents jump into center of circle* "you take your whole trunk out" *WHUMP* ....

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 09-16-2002, 07:39 PM   #25
katya
Elven Maiden

hahaha. hahaha. thats an entertaining mental image right there. i can't picture sauron (or melkor or anyone else for that matter) dancing except maybe like a behind closed doors sort of dancing, and emarrased expressions when the mouth of sauron unexpectedly comes in to ask about the toothpaste.

Last edited by katya : 07-27-2005 at 12:29 AM.
Old 09-16-2002, 09:04 PM   #26
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by katya
dancing except maybe like a behind closed doors sort of dancing, and emarrased expressions when the mouth of sauron unexpectedly comes in to ask about the toothpaste.
LOL! Does the Mouth of Sauron want to have fresh, minty breath, or does the toothpaste have something like "guaranteed to give you foul, smelly breath" written on it?

Last edited by Rían : 09-16-2002 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-17-2002, 05:37 PM   #27
katya
Elven Maiden

hehe...hehehe... i have a feeling its the latter i am afraid. but who knows? maybe he is a closet nice guy who wants minty fresh breath. or not. either way, you know, um...well...you know. you know, you know? ok sorry i am in a weird mood. we should get back on topic
Old 09-17-2002, 08:03 PM   #28
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

The phrase 'dwarvish dancing' brings to mind Lewis's description of the badger dancing in _Prince Caspian_--Awkwardly hopping from foot to foot,

I don't think that Ranger's would have had any inclination to dance while they were wandering in the wilderness. They were too aware. If you take my meaning. On their guard.

Elves: graceful, slow, free (not syncronized, and nothing like any happy dance I've ever seen!) I imagine that Luthien didn't make any more of an imprint on the ground with her foot than Legolas did when he walked on the snow. If I say they danced like summer's morning breeze, will that help to describe it, or make it more confusing? Certainly not completely solemn like some of the old quadrilles, but somehow joyfull and dignified at the same time.

Men (since you are all mature enough to recognize that 'Men' is a gender inclusive word, I won't bother to add 'women'): Rich, and stately. Pay attention to the dance at the ball on the movie 'ever after', and you'll get the idea.

Hobbits:carefree, but not requiring so much grace as it does the stamina to skip for long periods of time. Or something like the Virginia Reel...
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 07:24 PM   #29
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by crickhollow
The phrase 'dwarvish dancing' brings to mind Lewis's description of the badger dancing in _Prince Caspian_--Awkwardly hopping from foot to foot,
Definitely!! (love those books - see my sig)

Old 09-21-2002, 05:40 AM   #30
The Ringbearer
Elven Warrior

Location: Crickhollow in the summer, and Rivendell in the winter
Go Narnia! I can now imagine Gimli dancing! Goooood...

'But you're a part of this world! Aren't you?'

Frodo lives!
The Ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 12:30 PM   #31
Dolenloteiel
I elenfea

Location: Somewhere in the chaos between the first and second ages! (Actually, CO)
I love all the previous ideas given!! I picture Dwarves dancing (and it's disturbing) The chicken dance, sort of waddling hopping.. watever. That would be a funny Orc dance though lol
Ask me anything
"I have not failed, I've only found 10,000 ways that won't work."
-Thomas Edison
Visit Tolkien RP Site! Need members, RP all three Ages! (UNDER CONSTRUCTION) http://elvellon.suddenlaunch2.com
"Yay, I can hear the voices in my head again!
Dolenloteiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 04:30 PM   #32
Ethereal
Hobbit

i do irish dancing, and my dance class actually practiced with a few people from the Riverdance cast a couple years ago! it was awesome. but yeah, i have to say that seeing aragorn and the other rangers do irish dancing would seriously make my day!!
Old 09-22-2002, 10:01 PM   #33
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Hmmmm...the image of Orks doing the Chicken Dance...

I wanna go dance with the elves an' the hobbits! But today, definitely the hobbits. Happy birthday to Frodo and Bilbo! A long-expected party...

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 12:31 AM   #34
katya
Elven Maiden

I just thought this thread was funny. (And at times disturbing.) Hence the bump. See the thing is, I was about to try drawing a picture and I thought maybe a dancing elf/elves picture would be nice but I needed some reference photos so that everything could look anatomically correct. So does anyone have any suggestions for future reference?
Old 07-31-2005, 12:13 PM   #35
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I'd say it depends on what you want your Elves to be dancin'. Personally I'd try looking up some dances which I would deem the way Elves would dance. And then either google for some images of those dances or - oldfashioned but reliable - go to the library and look up some books with photos of dancers.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:00 PM   #36
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya
I just thought this thread was funny. (And at times disturbing.)
Ah, you also pictured Elrond dancing? *shivers*
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 03:55 PM   #37
katya
Elven Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
I'd say it depends on what you want your Elves to be dancin'. Personally I'd try looking up some dances which I would deem the way Elves would dance. And then either google for some images of those dances or - oldfashioned but reliable - go to the library and look up some books with photos of dancers.
Thanks. I just don't know many really exotic dances by name. I can't see anything to recognizable as being modern. Ballet might work at times though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andúril
Ah, you also pictured Elrond dancing? *shivers*
Well, no, I was thinking more of Sauron and the orcs, and their respective "dancing" adventures.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:33 PM   #38
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

I always think of Elrond when I see this:

http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums...atar-65x65.gif
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 06:28 AM   #39
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by katya
Thanks. I just don't know many really exotic dances by name. I can't see anything to recognizable as being modern. Ballet might work at times though.
Ditto here, I don't know many dance-names, or I only know the dance-names when I have no idea just how the actual dance is performed. Ballet may work for female Elves. But I *personally* don't want to picture male Elves like Fëanor and the likes dance ballet... *sniggers*

Still, I don't doubt there should be sites available where you can research a vast number of dances together. That way you can avoid having to search on specific dance-names.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:22 PM   #40
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Strider

Orcs would dance, I bet. Something with a lot of hooting and stomping...maybe a little bit of sword swinging...a few orcs going wild and losing their heads (literally).
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote