Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-13-2001, 08:01 PM   #21
Bombadil's PR Guy
Hobbit

I have to agree with Silva, that the hobbits look "too pretty." Maybe the guy who's playing Frodo should be doing Galadriel, eh?
I do intend to approach the movie with an open mind (like to get my money's worth). If you walk in with a majorly critical attitude, looking for things that don't identically match the book (or match things as you've always imagined), you may be robbing yourself of some good entertainment. Big budget leading edge computer graphic techno special effects still can't be the equivalent of what a good story teller can conjure in one's mind's eye...but they can be a blast anyway, and it looks like there are some doozies in this flick.
I guess when we walk out of the movie, the big question we ask ourselves should be: did the director really "get" Tolkien, and was he honest in translating the vision to film, without sacrificing to the interests of the lowest common intellectual denominator in quest of the mega box office numbers? I hope that he hasn't, but either way, it should still probably be at least as enjoyable as "Harry Potter" & "Monster, Inc." (ah..the benefits of having kids...) Lots of interesting discussion here at Entmoot.
Glad to have located you all here in Treebeard's forrest!

...so why isn't there a message icon that looks like Tom Bombadil?

Last edited by Bombadil's PR Guy : 12-13-2001 at 08:05 PM.
Bombadil's PR Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 08:57 PM   #22
Thorondor
Sapling

Frodo recieved the ring on the day he "came of age" as a hobbit, which was his 33rd birthday. Hobbits are long-lived, so that's probably about the same as 21 years among humans. Having the ring would preserve him from that point on, so he should look young for his 50+ years. That said, I too feel that Elija Wood looks a bit younger than that.

As to the Hobbit "families", the Tooks and Brandybucks, which would include Frodo, are largely of the "Fallowhide" branch of hobbits. Fallowhides are taller, slimmer, and more fair than other hobbits. Sam Gamgee is probably got more "Harfoot" blood, and should be a bit stouter and darker colored.
Thorondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 10:26 PM   #23
Darth Tater
The man

Tom Bombadil <- Bombadil

^
|
Tom Bombadil
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 10:39 PM   #24
Bombadil's PR Guy
Hobbit

Tom Bombadil

Okay....that can be Bombadil, but we'll have to see what Hollywood thinks, eh?
Old 12-13-2001, 10:58 PM   #25
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Dominic Monaghan BEAUTIFUL? Whoa dude that goes a LITTLE TOO far in describing the Hobbits, the hobbit actors are CUTE and thats far from beautiful, ok Wood is as close as you can get to a beautiful hobbit, but even then he's closer to cute than beautiful. Frodo is of the Fallowhide race of Hobbits and they tend to be fairer and more inclinde to be handsomer then the other two races of Hobbit. But what ever you say the four main hobbits are NOT beautiful cute and boyish yes but not beautiful.
Sam
ps. For any of you who do not know me, I am a girl.
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 01:27 AM   #26
anduin
Entwife

Quote:
I don't care that Elijah/Frodo looks the youngest, I'm just upset that the most important character hasen't even read the book!!! Peter Jackson should have made reading the book a requirement of all actors with more than a few lines.
Elijah as read the books, as has all the other actors and I'm sure most if not all the crew. Where did you get your info?
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 05:54 AM   #27
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Galadriel is not nearly beautiful enough in the film, I agree! Going back to your arguement about Gandalf's love life, I think he was JOKING??!!! (My friend here thinks so too).
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote