Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-18-2004, 04:42 PM   #41
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Where does Jim Carrey actually live? Hollywood? Its clear he spends an awful lot of time there. What do you do for people who actually live most of their life and more importantly work almost all of their life based in another country yet they still want to be part of their birth country? wouldnt that be an excuse for dual citizenship? because quite clearly the political climate in this country directly effects their way of life and their job situation. now i realize the likely response Ill get on this is THEN THEY CAN JUST STAY THE HELL OUT AND MAKE MOVIES IN CANADA! but i dont really see that as realistic (my apologies to the decent underground canadian film industry).

on another note: what of native peoples? If you are a native of the "Lakota Nation" you are also an american citizen right? Or if you are a native of the Inuit are you also a Canadian citizen? should they be forced to renounce their native citizenship because they were concurred and hounded off their land many generations ago?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 04:57 PM   #42
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Where does Jim Carrey actually live? Hollywood? Its clear he spends an awful lot of time there. What do you do for people who actually live most of their life and more importantly work almost all of their life based in another country yet they still want to be part of their birth country? wouldnt that be an excuse for dual citizenship? because quite clearly the political climate in this country directly effects their way of life and their job situation. now i realize the likely response Ill get on this is THEN THEY CAN JUST STAY THE HELL OUT AND MAKE MOVIES IN CANADA! but i dont really see that as realistic (my apologies to the decent underground canadian film industry).
Well considering that a lot of tv shows and movies are filmed in Canada and Toronto is rountinely used as the stand-in for NY and other American cities - I wouldn't exactly call it an "underground film industry".

People have a choice, they can become US citizens - or they can keep their old citizenship - it's a choice. Every day we have to make choices.

I have a house in Indiana - I'm affected by crime, property taxes, municapal services there - yet I don't get to vote in those elections. Why should someone from another country be able to come over here and claim dual citizenship?
Quote:
on another note: what of native peoples? If you are a native of the "Lakota Nation" you are also an american citizen right? Or if you are a native of the Inuit are you also a Canadian citizen? should they be forced to renounce their native citizenship because they were concurred and hounded off their land many generations ago?
They're only a Canadian citizen if they were born in Canada or decide to become a Canadian citizen. They used to have North American passports - but that no longer exists. Now they have their citizenship passport (Canada, US or Mexico). They can move freely throughout the North American continent and live wherever they want though. But as for voting or passports - that is based on their citizenship.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 10-18-2004 at 05:09 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 06:31 PM   #43
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I don't know how it works in the USA, but in Canada, membership to an Indian Band is different than citizenship. All Canadians are citizens (obviously), then on top of that, you can also be a member of an Indian Band.

This only affects internal Candian things, it doesn't change anyone's passport (except maybe that it's in there, but no biggie).

Are you sure Jim Carrey wasn't joking?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 08:03 PM   #44
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
I don't know how it works in the USA, but in Canada, membership to an Indian Band is different than citizenship. All Canadians are citizens (obviously), then on top of that, you can also be a member of an Indian Band.

This only affects internal Candian things, it doesn't change anyone's passport (except maybe that it's in there, but no biggie).
Well Indians used to be able to get North American passports. My friend Trish is an American citizen (by birth), grew up in Buffalo, now lives on Six Nation Indian Reserve in Canada, her mother is a Canadian citizen (by birth), after living in Buffalo for decades (over 30 years) until she retired a couple of years ago, she now also lives on Six Nation Indian Reserve. Both are of the Turtle Clan.

Quote:
Are you sure Jim Carrey wasn't joking?
Im not sure - they didn't show it - they just said it. I still don't like the fact that someone can vote in two countries' elections.

This is my main problem with dual citizenship in the US...

Quote:
I am a dual US/Canadian citizen by birth. I was once told that if I ever voted in either an American or a Canadian election, I would lose citizenship in the other country. Is this true?

No. Neither US nor Canadian citizenship law says anything about losing citizenship as a result of voting in an election in another country.

Note that US law used to mandate loss of US citizenship for voting in a foreign election. However, this provision was struck down by the Supreme Court in Afroyim v. Rusk and was repealed by Congress in 1978.

Canada's current Citizenship Act (in force since 1977) says nothing at all about voting in foreign elections and loss of citizenship. If you are a citizen of some country other than Canada, of course, you will need to check the laws of that country in order to find out if you could endanger your citizenship in that country by voting in a US election.
Dual citizenship is very complicated from country to country based on this site. But I think the US gives way too much away.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 10-18-2004 at 08:19 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 05:39 AM   #45
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
EDIT: Normally your posts make a lot of sense Chrys, but I'm afraid the point of your last one is lost on me. Originally, I thought you were referring to Canada's parliment yelling and screaming (re: the "side of bacon" incident). Politicians are human, and they make mistakes and lose their tempers too. But what does that have to do with dual citizenship?
Sorry, when i read it today, i noticed it made no sense at all,
(had busy day yesterday, brain overload!)
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote