Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-29-2003, 05:14 PM   #21
Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
The Evil One

I almost cried. Sirius was one of my favorite Characters!
Eowyn, Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 06:56 PM   #22
Garina
Elf Lord

I admit, I cried when Sirius died.

I think the main reason Sirius died is that he never grew up. He was a fairly immature teenager - as shown by Snape's Pensieve memory, and you get the idea that while 12 years in Azkaban robbed him of whatever innocence he had, it also caused him quite severe problems with his mental development. Although he tries to be responsible for Harry, when his own safety is in danger he doesn't consider anything. That's not Gryffindor bravery, that's just rashness, and failure to even think about what he's doing. Remus has accepted certain things, especially concerning the Maruader's past behaviour; Sirius still believes, roughly 15-18 years on, that luring Snape to the Shrieking Shack was fully justified, as was their bullying.

Also, Harry is a 'hero'. Heroes never seem to triumph until nearly everyone they care for is dead. (cynicism rules here)
Entmoot Resident Bard #2
Wielder of the shiny fire extinguisher
Worshipper of the divine cheesecake

Hamsters and Rangers everywhere, rejoice!!! Minsc, Baldur's Gate 2
Children, don't take drugs. Become a pop star, then people give them to you for free!!! - Billy Mack, Love Actually.

While I'm sure the nice people from the local archery club meant well, a moment's consideration would have made them realise that giving my friend and I lethal weapons was probably not a good idea!

Dammit, eyeliner and dreadlocks should not be that sexy!
Garina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 01:48 PM   #23
Adrian Baggins
Frodo's lil sis HP LotR fan

I know everyone thinks he is...and I know what the veil is called that gives us good reason to believe it is true...and even the reactions of Dumbledore and Lupin lead us to believe that our beloved character named Sirius Black is dead....but I don't believe it....Sirius is alive....I don't know why, but I get this feeling that the veil, is only a test, if you fail, you die, if you pass, you can set foot out the other side of the veil, and be alive. I guess that this is proibably just another one of my silly conspiracy theories, been making alot of those lately, but I don't think he is dead, it just, doesn't seem right.
Owner of the 3 unknown rings

I LIKE HIEI!! LOOK AT MY AVITAR IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHO THAT IS!!

H. Hysterically cold
I. Insanely unhuman
E. Effortlessly mocking
I. Irresistabely hott

"You're a team player, a save-the-day superhero *pause* I hate people like you." ~Hiei
Adrian Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 07:13 PM   #24
Gulio, Strength of Many
Lover of all things orange and cheesy

I almost cried when Sirius died. So sad. But yeah, I'm pretty sure that he's dead and gone. Not coming back, ever. In (almost)every good book, at least one person dies. It's a bummer that it had to be Sirius, but oh well. I was still mad at him and James for teasing Snape, so that could be why I didn't cry. Maybe his death will help Harry grow up. He's fifteen years old, and he still has temper tantrums. Half the book was in capital letters because Harry was screaming and shouting.

It was like the Manifest Destiny all over again, except, instead of taking and consuming everything in their paths for God, they did so with the same fervor and sense of entitlement for their new god... themselves.

If you want to know more about Jesus, have a prayer need, or want to talk about anything, PM me.
Gulio, Strength of Many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 03:41 PM   #25
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Sirius was my favorite character.
When I read the chapter in which he died, I actually put the book down and wouldn't touch it, until a few hours later, when I felt that I had to finish it off.
I know he's dead, but I get a feeling that it's not the last we'll be seeing of him....
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 07:54 PM   #26
Gulio, Strength of Many
Lover of all things orange and cheesy

Okay, I'm over it. He's gone. And I don't miss him anymore. After thinking it over, I realized what an immature git he was. Probably because he was just...... I dunno......mean. Like a Jr higher. (No offence, it's just that Jr highers tend to be more petty and mean in my experience) Bye bye, Sirius! Have a good time being dead! Don't come back anytime soon!

Man, I'm gonna get toasted for this. *Puts on flame-proof suit*

It was like the Manifest Destiny all over again, except, instead of taking and consuming everything in their paths for God, they did so with the same fervor and sense of entitlement for their new god... themselves.

If you want to know more about Jesus, have a prayer need, or want to talk about anything, PM me.
Gulio, Strength of Many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 08:39 PM   #27
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

*lights flame thrower*

Well think of all he went through! Sure, he was immature in school, but he spent the period of his life where he probably would have matured a great deal being tortured in Azkaban!

He genuinely cared for Harry, so what if he had an irrational hatred for Snape? No one's perfect. Considering all he went through, and his appaling family, I think he was doing very well.

That wasn't really much of a flame. But Sirius was great. Doomed possibly, but underserving of your insults.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 08:00 AM   #28
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I agree with Nurvingiel - Sirius has plenty of reasons for being immature. I think what he went through would screw anyone up. Or in other words, his psychlogical developement was stunted by his early experiences, and he tried to relieve his youth through Harry. Understandable, IMO.

How do we judge maturity anyway? I think Sirius is more mature than Snape, for example.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 02:14 PM   #29
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by gollum9630
i think this is part of JKR crazy plan. In the end of book 7, the same thing will happen as in book 4, but then sirius will ome out and kill Voldemort, and all the death eaters. (just a guess)
umm voldemort didn't kill sirius so why would he come out of his wand
Old 03-09-2004, 11:21 AM   #30
Talathiel
Sapling

I think that she removed Sirius because she knew that he would be an awkward person to put in later. I have written plays and stories, and it is difficult, sometimes, to think of ways to keep people in the story without wracking your brains to think of ways to use them. So you kill them so you don't need to worry about it. It's a bit cruel, but it works. Another thought--maybe she was trying to make him seem like Jesus. I know I am treading sacred ground here, and I'm not religious, but he died to protect Harry, and went bodily into death, both like Jesus. There's also that looming question of whether or not he'll come back. I am eloquent, and sorry.

Cool quote (but I don't know who said it): We live in a time when lemonade is made from artificial flavoring and furniture polish is made with real lemons.
What is this world coming to?!
Talathiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 08:55 PM   #31
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

I heard that she said that she killed Sirius for a reason. Maybe this'll be a big thing later on...
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote