Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-30-2003, 09:59 PM   #1
Legoles
Goddess of the evil smilies

Whay Sirus

Okay here's a question that has been bugging me. Why did she kill off Sirus? He was in what, 3 books? This is just sooooo annoying. Why not someone else?

PADFOOT LIVES!
Legoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 10:19 PM   #2
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

yea im pissed he left. but im sure hell be back it would be wierd to lewave outs harry sort of best friend
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 10:42 PM   #3
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

I want him to be back. But it seems, whatever I hope for never happens, so maybe I should just wish he wont come back and them he will!

Hmm.... she could have killed of Crabbe! I wouldn't have minded!
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 10:45 PM   #4
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady of Rohan
I want him to be back. But it seems, whatever I hope for never happens, so maybe I should just wish he wont come back and them he will!

Hmm.... she could have killed of Crabbe! I wouldn't have minded!

i think this is part of JKR crazy plan. In the end of book 7, the same thing will happen as in book 4, but then sirius will ome out and kill Voldemort, and all the death eaters. (just a guess)

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 12:31 AM   #5
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Gollumsome#s, that would be a horrible ending and highly unlikely.

Why not kill Sirius? Get over it, he wasn't that great of a character in the first place Seriously, I liked him enough but sometimes he was just annoying. She did not really kill off any major character;we can do without him.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 12:42 AM   #6
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
Gollumsome#s, that would be a horrible ending and highly unlikely.
that was supposed to sarcasim. I gues i should of put that in my post. *makes mental note*

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 12:50 AM   #7
HOBBIT

"that was supposed to sarcasim. I gues i should of put that in my post. *makes mental note*"

Maybe you don't know what sarcasm is? Oh well. Or maybe it was clear and made sense in your mind, but sarcasm does not always convery well on computers. Your prediction made little sense either way.

Makes mental note? I care not if you add that you were being sarcastic, which I doubt you were (or if you were, you messed up horribly imo), or not. If you are going to change it, just change it. Don't talk about changing. There is an edit button for crying out loud.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Old 07-01-2003, 01:25 AM   #8
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
"that was supposed to sarcasim. I gues i should of put that in my post. *makes mental note*"

Maybe you don't know what sarcasm is? Oh well. Or maybe it was clear and made sense in your mind, but sarcasm does not always convery well on computers. Your prediction made little sense either way.

Makes mental note? I care not if you add that you were being sarcastic, which I doubt you were (or if you were, you messed up horribly imo), or not. If you are going to change it, just change it. Don't talk about changing. There is an edit button for crying out loud.

im thinking you dislike gollum9630 very much
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 04:57 AM   #9
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Hmmm...

JKR moves in mysterious ways.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 11:32 AM   #10
sun-star
Lady of Letters

She said she had to kill someone, and there wouldn't be much point in killing off a character Harry/the reader didn't care about, would there? Also, this is a war. People die in wars.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 03:49 PM   #11
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Yeah, but Sirius was stupid. That's why he died.

Quote:
Only a pair was still battling, apparently unaware to the new arrivel. Harry saw Sirius duck Bellatrix's jet of red light: he was laughing at her.
'Come on, you can do better than that' he yelled...

.... The second jet light hit him squarely on his chest...
what was he doing? Probably JKR wanted to kill him, but had no idea how.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 11:42 AM   #12
EyeSeeYou
Hobbit

my friend pointed out to me that sirius DIDNT DIE when the jet of light hit him, he was merely stunned. his expression changed from laughter to shock, so therefore he wasnt dead. BUT then he fell through the veil, so he.... i dunno.... went to the place where dead wizards go. so the question really is.... will he return? (very unlikely, but i hope that is the case..... must stop contridicting myself...)
Old 07-03-2003, 12:46 PM   #13
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
Originally posted by EyeSeeYou
my friend pointed out to me that sirius DIDNT DIE when the jet of light hit him, he was merely stunned. his expression changed from laughter to shock, so therefore he wasnt dead. BUT then he fell through the veil, so he.... i dunno.... went to the place where dead wizards go. so the question really is.... will he return? (very unlikely, but i hope that is the case..... must stop contridicting myself...)
I was thinking something along those lines too. Here's a guess:

Remember Dumbledore mentioning that it was the Death Chamber where the others were left when he was talking to Fudge after Voldy and Bella escaped from him?

Remember that Harry and the others were just about mesmerized with that waving veil in the middle of the Death Chamber where Sirius fell through?

What I'm trying to say is that, perhaps the chamber is a place of execution where souls are beckoned from their bodies. It seems like a humane way to die and Sirius just left the world serenely. Just a thought...

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 01:03 PM   #14
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
Hmmm....a very good thought. But I don't really think Sirius is coming back, I mean if he did then why couldn't Harry's parents come back? But I think that there is some significance to the mirrior that Sirius gave Harry. I've never heard (or rather read) anyone else mention the mirrior I geuss it was just to much of a minor point in the book but still even if Sirius didn't have the mirrior (which i think he did, but Sirius was to busy at that momment to notice that Harry's head had poped up in the mirrior) Harry could give the other one to Ron and then they could get into more trouble.
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 07:25 PM   #15
HOBBIT

Quote:
Originally posted by Fimbrethil
Hmmm....a very good thought. But I don't really think Sirius is coming back, I mean if he did then why couldn't Harry's parents come back? But I think that there is some significance to the mirrior that Sirius gave Harry. I've never heard (or rather read) anyone else mention the mirrior I geuss it was just to much of a minor point in the book but still even if Sirius didn't have the mirrior (which i think he did, but Sirius was to busy at that momment to notice that Harry's head had poped up in the mirrior) Harry could give the other one to Ron and then they could get into more trouble.
No, he most likely will not come back, nor will Harry's parents.

First of all, what is a mirrior? Do you mean mirror? And second you don't make any sense - sorry.

Also - we know nothing about the veil except it has something to do vaguely with death. From what we know - what is beyond that veil is death. He is stunned before he falls into it - but once he passes that veil - he is dead, gone - as far as we know anway.

What are you talking about here: " I geuss it was just to much of a minor point in the book but still even if Sirius didn't have the mirrior (which i think he did, but Sirius was to busy at that momment to notice that Harry's head had poped up in the mirrior) Harry could give the other one to Ron and then they could get into more trouble."

What????? Sirius is DEAD - we don't know anything about the wizarding afterlife yet - but he is DEAD. He probably can't look through any mirror that connects to the living - and even if he could, he could not - and does not - respond.

How in the world could Harry give the other 'mirrior' to Ron???? We don't know where the other one is - maybe serious had it when he died and thus, it is GONE FOR GOOD - or it is in that awful house somewhere with Kreacher. But it doesn't matter really because Harry SMASHED HIS. Of course I guess they could always repair it, but still.

Old 10-03-2003, 08:59 PM   #16
Lollypopgurl
Elven Warrior

As much as I want Sirius to come back, I'd rather they not 'mess' with his death. *sigh*
Old 10-12-2003, 08:39 PM   #17
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
Waht I was getting at was that Sirus was just to busy being dead to notice that Harry was talking to him in the mirror.

Maybe he could use it maybe he can't we jsut don't know.

If he didn't have the mirrior then Harry would probably find it and give it to Ron. Once he accepted the fact that Sirus was gone this would be easier to do.

I hope taht's clearer.
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 11:23 PM   #18
Percy Weasley
Enting

Sirius is dead.

Both Lupin and Nearly Headless Nick confirmed it.

However, I would like to offer an alternate theory - that perhaps his death was not as random as it seems.

For those of you familiar with the novel Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, the central character, Jean Valjean, is a convict who has been freed from prison after serving nineteen years for committing a menial crime. He breaks his parole, and is forced back on the run, slipping into despair and debauchery until he saves the child of a woman who dies due to mistakes that he himself made (unwittingly) in the past.

It is the love of this child, and Valjean's love towards her, that leads Valjean on the path from crime to redemption, from evil to Righteousness, and eventually wins him his salvation, when he makes the ultimate sacrifice for this child's happiness.

I think perhaps JK Rowling is doing a similar thing with Sirius. In watching out for Harry, Sirius is paying the weregild owed to James and Lily for his part in their betrayal or death. While not directly responsible, I believe that he feels guilt for being the one to suggest the change of Secret Keepers to Peter, the move that directly lead to the Potter's death. It is only by making a sacrifice of equal value that Sirius can redeem himself in his own eyes. It is through his death in an attempt to save Harry's life that Sirius finds salvation from his guilt, and freedom from the law that would always have hounded him.

Sirius' death, therefore, may not be tragic, but redemptive.

~~~~~~~~

Howard Dean in 2004!
Percy Weasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 03:05 PM   #19
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally posted by Percy Weasley
In watching out for Harry, Sirius is paying the weregild owed to James and Lily for his part in their betrayal or death. While not directly responsible, I believe that he feels guilt for being the one to suggest the change of Secret Keepers to Peter, the move that directly lead to the Potter's death. It is only by making a sacrifice of equal value that Sirius can redeem himself in his own eyes. It is through his death in an attempt to save Harry's life that Sirius finds salvation from his guilt, and freedom from the law that would always have hounded him.

Sirius' death, therefore, may not be tragic, but redemptive.
Are you suggesting that Sirius deliberately sought a redemptive death, or that, occuring without his volition, it was a fitting end for him? I would be more inclined to support the second idea than the first. Sirius died saving Harry, as he believed was his duty, but surely he also believed that he could better protect Harry while alive. We can see that nothing in his life became him like the leaving it, but to Sirius and Harry it's still an untimely and unnecessary death.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.

Last edited by sun-star : 10-20-2003 at 03:06 PM.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 08:48 PM   #20
turtlelover
Elven Warrior

sirius was my favorite character and at first when i read his death scene i thought "oh no" but then i realized that even though sirius is dead he might still be an important character and, like harry's parents be mentioned often. Even more so cause harry knew him better, but for those of you that believe that sirius might come back, i didagree because as nick and lupin said he is GONE. though it is sad i do not believe he will be back.

"I don't know why it does this! maybe i'm allergic to bras?"-Dee
turtlelover is offline   Reply With Quote