Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-10-2000, 12:05 PM   #21
Taimar

Re: I enjoyed the earlier stuff

I`ve read all the Discworld books (my wife has bought every one, she really likes Pratchett). I think they are rather hit and miss. When they are good (Guards, Guards! & the other City Watch books) they are very good, but when they are bad (The Witches books) they are..............
Old 07-11-2000, 12:37 AM   #22
The Randy Hobbit

Re: Doesn't parody fantasy?

Oh Anne, Prattchet definitely parodies fantasy. Three words......Cohen the Barbarian. Enough said.
TRH
Old 07-13-2000, 12:36 AM   #23
Jonce

Hey Randy, what about Vic the Inhaler.:lol:
I hope people know there history or thats gonna fall flat on its face!!

Anyway as anyone read Pratchett's Truckers Trilogy?
There an absolutely brilliant and could match up to any Discworld book he's written.

By the way this is one of the best EZboards I've seen.

Jonce
Old 07-13-2000, 03:11 AM   #24
anduin

Thank you very much Jonce, and welcome!
Old 07-13-2000, 07:13 PM   #25
Anne Dralen

I'll amend. Pratchett parodies life and often makes fun of fantasy.

BTW, I just read The Fifth Elephant. Excellent. I loved the politics.

I enjoy the witch books.
Old 07-13-2000, 11:55 PM   #26
etherealunicorn

Thanks for the book advice, ya'll

I had heard of Discworld, but no details. After so many good reccommendations, I will look for the books and give them a try.
Old 07-25-2000, 11:16 AM   #27
dunedain lady

Terry Pratchett's Discworld is so cool! I like how you have to know some history or literature to get a lot of the jokes, such as the "Pictsies." If I am in an odd mood when reading them, they really make me think.
Old 10-28-2000, 10:45 PM   #28
etherealunicorn

Well, having now read Small Gods, Equal Rites and Eric, let me now give a great, fat vote of thanks to ya'll for turning me on to these wonderful little gems. I have not laughed so hard at a book in a long time. Reminds me of a fantasy version of Hitchhiker, in a way.
Old 11-20-2000, 11:45 PM   #29
Elentir

Re: Pratchett

In fact, there's just been a new addition to the Discworld line here in the U.S.: the 25th novel, "The Truth." It's all about how print journalism comes to Ankh-Morpork, and introduces some good new major characters. I continue to love what Mr. Pratchett does, although I always prefer the Ankh-Morpork books (the Watch etc.) more than others, like the witches (although Small Gods is truly brilliant.)
Old 11-28-2000, 09:10 AM   #30
kvasir

Discworld

I started with "the colour of magic" and now I am reading "Men at arms"
Terry Pratchett is one of the most brilliant writers that I have ever read any books of, his sarcasm and cynism, just great!
Death is also one of my most favourite characters in the books, but I also think Rincewind, the Librarian, Granny Weatherwax, Bruda and the Luggage are very funny and complex characters (okey, the Luggage perhaps isn't that complex )... and also the other characters are great...
Pratchett is clearly making fun out of life itself (human stupidity, etc...) and indeed some classical fantasy creatures (such as elves, gnomes, dwarves, dragons, etc...) aren't acting like they usually do in other fantasy books... but I think Terry is just being creative with these creatures their characters (you already have kind of idea how they look like) for the comedy note in the books then to make other fantasy writers ridiculous...

"Two things will everlast: human stupidity and the universe. But I am not sure about the Universe."
--Einstein
Old 02-23-2001, 08:16 PM   #31
Elrond

Re: Discworld

I went 2 see Phantom of the Opera recently and laughed all the way through. U can't take it seriously after Maskerade.

Who said the earlier books r better? I didn't tink they were really up 2 standard. And I liked the witches ones, too.

I have every single discworld book, many in hardback, which is a total waste of my money but who cares?

Anyone else seen the cartoons or the plays?
Old 07-30-2001, 12:21 AM   #32
EZ Board Nomad

Re: Discworld

Cartoons? Where?! I've never heard of there being cartoons for them... I played the first playstation game for it though.

And when someone uses punchlines over and over, It's called a running gag, and is intentional.

*gets seasick on damp grass*