Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-05-2000, 08:21 PM   #1
Jaro

Discworld

Anyone else read any Terry Pratchett? Hilarious stuff - parody of modern civ and the fantasy genre. A lot of puns, sarcastic characters, tongue in cheek descriptions..
Old 02-05-2000, 09:09 PM   #2
emilsson

Re: Discworld

I love his books, but so far I have only read a few of them. I really like the humour. I consider "Guards! Guards!" and "Mort" to be my favorites. Death just got be my favorite character .
Old 02-06-2000, 09:07 PM   #3
Jaro

Death Rocks. Have you read "Soul Music"? I highly recommend it.
Old 02-07-2000, 09:03 AM   #4
emilsson

I don´t know, I read them in Swedish. But if I haven´t I´ll take a look at it.
Old 02-09-2000, 11:18 PM   #5
The One Ring

I love Discworld! Soul Music is definitely one of my favorites, along with Men at Arms, Carpe Jugulum, and Interesting Times. I haven't read them all, but I've only got a few left to go... Anybody read Good Omens? It's not a Discworld book, but it's by Pratchett and Neil Gaiman (a great author) and is very funny. I highly recommend it.
Old 02-10-2000, 06:37 AM   #6
Jaro

I have! It's a parody on a movie (I think the movie is titled "Bad Omens" about a diplomat's kid who is the Antichrist.)
Old 02-10-2000, 10:03 PM   #7
The One Ring

That's interesting.... because I just found out "Good Omens" is being made into a movie itself! It's going to be directed by Terry Gilliam (formerly of Monty Python, director of Time Bandits, Brazil, etc.). No cast yet but it should be great.
Old 02-10-2000, 10:10 PM   #8
juntel

There was a movie calle "The Omen", with Gregory Peck and Lee Remick; Peck was the us ambassador to britan, his and Remicks son was the Antichrist. There were two sequels (the last one being "The Final Conflict", with Sam Neil as the Antichrist).
Old 02-11-2000, 01:49 PM   #9
Hernalt

Is Discworld that movie I saw one time with John Travolta? He was in a white suit or something. Had really cool music.
Old 02-11-2000, 10:44 PM   #10
The One Ring

Re: ...

Er, no, that would be Saturday Night Fever, and it's disco, not Discworld. (If your post was humor, forgive me but there was no little smiley or anything to indicate it) Discworld is not a movie, it's a series of books that hilariously parodies the fantasy genre. Since you clearly know your fantasy stuff, and are a highly intelligent reader, you'd probably enjoy them a lot. They're by Terry Pratchett.
Old 03-30-2000, 12:14 AM   #11
The Randy Hobbit

Re: discworld

Pratchett Rocks!! I am reading Carpe Jugulum right now and am about to get The Fifth Elephant. It always amazes me when I read Discworld books how one minute I'll be laughing histerically and the next I'll be sitting back having to think, sometimes hard! He has some very deep subjects in his books.
Old 04-04-2000, 05:25 PM   #12
TheRobRoy

I enjoyed the earlier stuff

But not the later stuff. Perhaps I grew in the wrong direction, but I just didn't find his later stuff funny at all, whereas the earlier books, Colour of Magic and the like were incredibly funny. Again, perhaps it was just me. Obviously he has a strong following.
Old 04-05-2000, 01:09 AM   #13
anduin

Re: I enjoyed the earlier stuff

Could someone please list the books in the Disc World series.....in order? I got a gift certificate for my bookstore and thought of getting some of these.......
Old 04-05-2000, 05:39 PM   #14
Jaro

Here's the list from inside The Last Continent:

The Colour of Magic
The Light Fantastic
Equal Rites
Mort
Sourcery
Wyrd Sisters
Pyramids
Guard! Guards!
Eric
(with Josh Kirby)
Moving Pictures
Reaper Man
Witches Abroad
Small Gods
Lords and Ladies
Men at Arms
Soul Music
Feet of Clay
Interesting Times
Maskerade
Hogfather
Jingo
The Last Continent
The Fifth Elephant

and:

Mort: A Discworld Big Comic
The Streetof Of Ankh-Morpork
The Discworld Companion
The Discowrld Mapp
The Pratchett Portfolio
Old 04-06-2000, 01:34 AM   #15
anduin

Thanks Jaro!
Old 04-12-2000, 02:18 AM   #16
The Randy Hobbit

OK, he does have a tendancy to reuse the same joke over and over, but there is some comfort in knowing when a certain punchline is coming up! Just the same, when a new Discworld book comes out I run to the bookstore! TRH
Old 04-20-2000, 02:29 PM   #17
The Rheim Kennar

Jaro:
Your list missed out 'Strata' which must be considered as a discworld book, but from the point of view of outsiders (i.e. extra-discestrials) Its v. funny as usual, but quite different. It's an early one.
Old 04-21-2000, 09:09 AM   #18
Jaro

oooh, thanks! It wasn't listed on the inner cover, but I do remember hearing about it.

Old 05-01-2000, 05:43 PM   #19
andustar

i love terry pratchett
hey has anyone here read the carpet people?
i wish i could get hold of some more discworld books, ive only read about half of them. (and yes, Death is my fav character)

andustar
Old 07-09-2000, 06:11 PM   #20
Anne Dralen

Pratchett doesn't parody fantasy, it's just the way he writes it. He makes fun of people and life in general more than he does any specific genre. He parodys life in a fantasy format.

I read Carpe Jugulum. It was funny, not as funny as some, but definitely a good one. I liked seeing Agatha again and more of Perdita after Maskerade. I haven't got my hands on The Fifth Elephant yet but I'm looking forward to it. I love Soul Music too, but I haven't read Mort yet which I might like better. DEATH is definitely my favorite character but I love the little police chief too. Guards! Guards! was my first Pratchett book and I'd like to read more than the Discworld ones as well as ALL of the Discworld but I'm limited to what they've got at my library.