Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-03-2003, 05:05 PM   #1
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Honesty, Heroism or Hedonism?

Nice simple question this one......or is it?

The scenario.....

Saturday morning. You decide to take a taxi into the center of town. You climb into the taxi, the driver seems surly but his driving is ok, he doesn't seem interested in any small talk.

On the floor in front of the seat beside you, you notice a battered leather bag. It is partially open and you're sure you can see a large amount of used $50/£50 notes. The driver seems oblivious to both yourself and the bag so you lean forward for a closer look. Sure enough the bag is stuffed with a large amount of used money but there are also two handguns and a few unspent bullets lying atop the money!

What would you do?

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 05:27 PM   #2
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Hmm...I don't know...I think I'd turn in the guns, and probably the money, but I'm not sure...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 05:31 PM   #3
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Fifties are too closely monitored by the Feds. Maybe just grab enough for a night on the town.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 05:34 PM   #4
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

quickly memorise where the guns are lying and make like i dropped something, or had to tie my shoe and slip just a few packets of notes into my pockets/bag/pants/socks/shoes.... putting everything back where it was.
then i would tell the guy about the sack laying back there, and if he gets that nasty look inhis eye like "don't touch it" then you don't touch it again, and you still get a reward.

not the most honest thing to do, but then again, who is really truly honest these days??
Old 03-03-2003, 05:34 PM   #5
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

I would probably turn in the suitcase, how I don't know. But considering that I don't take cabs, then the chances of that happening to me nowadays is pretty slim.

Last edited by Lady of Rohan : 03-03-2003 at 05:37 PM.
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 05:35 PM   #6
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Take em. Dispose of the guns safely. Sit on the money for a little while to see if theres any news on it. Then launder it appropriately.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 05:42 PM   #7
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
Then launder it appropriately.
Lather, rinse, and repeat?

My brother and I found a gun in a suitcase behind a jewelry store when we were kids. Some brilliant thieves there!
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 05:48 PM   #8
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
Maybe just grab enough for a night on the town.
That's exactly what I would do............I'd probably regret not taking the lot later .............. but time in jail is no fun at all.

Beatallica
Old 03-03-2003, 05:58 PM   #9
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
That's exactly what I would do............I'd probably regret not taking the lot later .............. but time in jail is no fun at all.
I dont know if its jail time youd have to worry about quite as much as dealing with the thugs that own the guns and the money. they are gonna want it back and we can assume they have more guns. if somehow the authorities track you what can they do? you didnt steal it. theyll slap your hands and tell you you are an idiot for playing such a dangerous game with dirty money. its found money. granted taking the guns could be criminal but even that wouldnt get you much. at least not over this side of the atlantic

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 06:04 PM   #10
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
I dont know if its jail time youd have to worry about quite as much as dealing with the thugs that own the guns and the money. they are gonna want it back and we can assume they have more guns. if somehow the authorities track you what can they do? you didnt steal it. theyll slap your hands and tell you you are an idiot for playing such a dangerous game with dirty money. its found money. granted taking the guns could be criminal but even that wouldnt get you much. at least not over this side of the atlantic
That's the trick. In the UK the "dirty money" could easily be dealt with but yer caught with a firearm in a public place it's a mandatory 5 yrs in jail with no chance of parole

I'd just take enough cash for a couple of good hangovers......and maybe a small(ish) motorbike

Beatallica
Old 03-03-2003, 06:15 PM   #11
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

I think id try to take a little cash, plot on about reaching down and slipping a little in my hand.but... Id probably chicken out , being scared of getting beat up or worse by the cabbie , not even mention it to anyone but have a good story to blab to all my friends about. ...If I was feeling brave, Id blindly grab a wad of cash and treat everyone to expensive dinners!
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 07:07 PM   #12
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I would probably become very interested in what's going on outside the cab. And try not to look at the money. Then as soon as the cab gets were I need to be, pay for the ride and get the hell out of there as fast as I can without becoming suspicious.

Now if it was only the money, I might be tempted to nick a few notes. But since I usually suffer from a very acute sense of honesty I probably wouldn't even dare to steal some even then. But the guns are enough to make me panic and because of their presence I probably wouldn't even dare to look at the money.

Well, I won't deny that I'm a coward but I'd rather be alive and a coward than a few illegal bucks richer and a little bit dead. That bit of money isn't worth dying over. I probably wouldn't even regret that I didn't take the money, I'd probably be more relieved that I got out alive!

I might call the police afterwards to report what I saw. But further than that I wouldn't go.

Last edited by Earniel : 03-03-2003 at 07:08 PM.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 07:50 PM   #13
Evenstar1400
Elven Warrior

well im assuming that its the cab drivers stuff, so heres what i would do.

1. say "Oh wait! stop here! my friends there on the sidewalk!"
2. as he pulls over, id knock over my purse and proceed to pick it up.
3. while doing that, say "youve been a great driver, whats your name??
4. say thanks, and "i wont be long can you wait here?"
5. take my purse, approach a person that looks trustworthy, say hey and be like the guy thats driving my cab has a gun can you call the police for me
6. hope that the guy wont leave and the person will call the police and that theyll actually come
Old 03-03-2003, 08:53 PM   #14
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

that's a good idea evenstar.
Old 03-04-2003, 02:36 AM   #15
Baby-K
Corruptor

I'd take some notes out with my toes (very nimble feet) - just enough to have a whole lotta fun with. When I get out I'd thank him for the ride & pay him with his own money (presuming it is his).

What type of gun is it? Is it something small that can be concealed easily or is it a larger type? This info could seriously alter my actions...............
Old 03-04-2003, 03:09 AM   #16
Elven Archer
Elven Warrior

well if it was his, why would it be in the back seat? So assuming it's not his, i'd ask him he ever leaves anything in the back seat of his cab or something like that,just to be sure it's not his. If he looks like someone who might try to fight me for the money or something then i would't tell him about. I'd get his cab number,name,company or whatever(never been in a cab) that might be useful later. then i'd go to the police with it,cause it might be stolen and then they might be able to use the info i would have got to try to find out who was in the cab before me and then catch him.