Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-17-2002, 01:51 PM   #1
Faeirex
Hobbit

Location: A place inside my head, where none but myself dare go.
There's ppl from all different countries here, isn't there?

I need a favor. Basically, I've been challenged to find the phrase "You're ugly and your mother dresses you funny" in as many languages as possible. So far the count runs to 2- Elvish and Finnish. Can anybody help me add to the list?
Am becoming disenchanted with palantir guy. Refuses to send me photo, except of one v. large eyeball. Says he is shy but I rather suspect he is fat, or perhaps hairy. Have heard some v. bad stories about palantir relationships. Should probably cool it for a while.

Well, wouldn't you know, palantir guy turned out to be Dark Lord of Mordor. Just my luck. Could have been worse, I guess. Sauron not far or hairy, just disembodied force of evil. Must go now, have to raise massive demon army to scourge the earth. Also, have manicure appointment. Is no easy task keeping nails pointy.

Am tired of climbing up and down eight million stairs just to taunt Gandalf. Should have imprisoned him in easy-access dungeon where could taunt more effectively, and would not have to wait until after breakfast.

Have crossed orcs with goblin men in caverns below Isengard. V. tedious experience as orcs and goblin men most reluctant to breed, even with dinner and flowers. Next time will try something easier, such as breeding goblins and cheerleaders to create super-perky army that can travel by day and will not complain about pink uniforms.

Did not know when decided to make demon army for Sauron that would be so darn messy. Curse my decision to be Saruman the White. Should have decided to be Saruman the Muddy Brown, or Saruman the Faintly Greenish. White just shows all the slime.
Faeirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 03:37 PM   #2
Claenoic
Queen of Prolonged, Unexplained Absences

No unun musangyoko noyo umaga osul okigae ipyunae. That's in Korean, mind.

FREAK RAIN!!!!!!!! O.o

Queen of prolonged unexplained absences and long, loooong car rides.

Well, hullo everyone. As you can see, I don't hang out here muchly anymore. There's a good reason for this. Y'see, I've been hanging out at a different chatboard called Cardboardia. So far, I've been havin' a blast. Not that I don't love the TLA, but the magic of Entmoot is lost on me. So, as soon as TLA ends, so will my existance here, probably.

Who knows though? I might stay. Highly unlikely however. This is a good bye in advance, then. Unless you want to join me and my group of friends at Cardboardia.

Cheers!
Claenoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 04:17 PM   #3
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

An online translator says that in french that would be this, "Vous êtes laid et votre mère vous habille drôle". I don't kno enough french to tell you if it is right...

There is a cool website called the The I Can Eat Glass Project. Description: The Project is based on the idea that people in a foreign country have an irresistable urge to try to say something in the indigenous tongue. In most cases, however, the best a person can do is "Where is the bathroom?" a phrase that marks them as a tourist. But, if one says "I can eat glass, it doesn't hurt me," you will be viewed as an insane native, and treated with dignity and respect.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 04:55 PM   #4
Faeirex
Hobbit

Thanx u guys! Any others?
Am becoming disenchanted with palantir guy. Refuses to send me photo, except of one v. large eyeball. Says he is shy but I rather suspect he is fat, or perhaps hairy. Have heard some v. bad stories about palantir relationships. Should probably cool it for a while.

Well, wouldn't you know, palantir guy turned out to be Dark Lord of Mordor. Just my luck. Could have been worse, I guess. Sauron not far or hairy, just disembodied force of evil. Must go now, have to raise massive demon army to scourge the earth. Also, have manicure appointment. Is no easy task keeping nails pointy.

Am tired of climbing up and down eight million stairs just to taunt Gandalf. Should have imprisoned him in easy-access dungeon where could taunt more effectively, and would not have to wait until after breakfast.

Have crossed orcs with goblin men in caverns below Isengard. V. tedious experience as orcs and goblin men most reluctant to breed, even with dinner and flowers. Next time will try something easier, such as breeding goblins and cheerleaders to create super-perky army that can travel by day and will not complain about pink uniforms.

Did not know when decided to make demon army for Sauron that would be so darn messy. Curse my decision to be Saruman the White. Should have decided to be Saruman the Muddy Brown, or Saruman the Faintly Greenish. White just shows all the slime.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:22 AM   #5
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

According to freetranslation.com ...

Spanish -
Usted es feo y su madre lo viste chistoso.

German -
Sie sind häßlich und Ihre Mutter kleidet Sie lustig an.

Italian -
Lei sono brutto e sua madre lo veste buffo.

Norwegian -
De De' ang. stygg og Deres mor kler på De morsom.

Portugese -
São feio e seua mãe veste-se-o engraçado.

I wouldn't be too sure that these things are 100% correct, but I think they're close.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 03:01 AM   #6
mirrille
Elven Warrior

I'll contribute up to 2 dialects of Chinese if you tell me how rude or colloquial you want it to sound. Or if it's more supposed to sound joking.
The "funny" is a tough one. Please specify the level of cuteness you want for "funny".
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 11:37 AM   #7
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

mirrile can you check your PM's

Thanks

AE

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 12:54 PM   #8
Faeirex
Hobbit

The 'funny' I think is supposed to be in the context of 'strange' or 'wierd'. And I suppose it shouldn't be too rude, in case in a moment of madness I try to speak it (god forbid...)
Really, it's up to you.

Wow, that glass website is cool...

I really do have too much time on my hands.

~Fae

Old 06-18-2002, 04:17 PM   #9
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Dutch:
Je bent lelijk en je moeder kleedt je raar aan.

Flemish dialect: (mind you it is a spoken dialect so I wrote it down using the dutch sounds instead)
Ge zij lelek en auw muder kleed au roar an
Old 06-18-2002, 09:27 PM   #10
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Quote:
Originally posted by emplynx
An online translator says that in french that would be this, "Vous êtes laid et votre mère vous habille drôle". I don't kno enough french to tell you if it is right...[/I]
Pretty good, but I would say, "Vous êtes laid et votre mère vous habille bizzare "

(the word "drôle" is more for saying you are funny- funny-haha, not strange/weird).

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 12:12 AM   #11
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Cantonese:
Nei ho yuk-seun. Nei ah-ma gow nei jeuk duk gum dut-yi.

Note-dut-yi is a more "cute" kind of strange. "goo-gwai" is more of an "odd" kind of strange. In cantonese, I can't think of a verb that means to dress someone else. Dressing is something you do to yourself, so what i said is more like "your mom teaches you to dress so funny"

Mandarin:
"Ni de yangzi hau nankan. Ni mama gei ni chuan de yifu you dian qiguai"

Mandarin is not my first dialect, so this may not be the most colloquial sounding way. It may in fact sound very odd. Again, no way to say your mom dresses you. So I changed it to "the clothes that your mom gives you to wear are kind of strange"
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 08:55 AM   #12
elendili
Elven Warrior

I would give you a russian one but the letters won't come out, sorry.

"Courage my soul, now learn to wield
The weight of thine immortal shield
Place on thy head thy helmet bright
Ballance thy sword against the fight
See where an army strong as fair
With silken banners spreads the air
Now if thy bee'st that thing divine
In this days combat let it shine:
And shew that nature wants an art
To conqeur one resolved heart"
Andrew Marvell

Last edited by elendili : 06-19-2002 at 08:57 AM.
elendili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 06:09 PM   #13
Claenoic
Queen of Prolonged, Unexplained Absences

*Counts* There's thirteen for you. Need any more?

FREAK RAIN!!!!!!!! O.o

Queen of prolonged unexplained absences and long, loooong car rides.

Well, hullo everyone. As you can see, I don't hang out here muchly anymore. There's a good reason for this. Y'see, I've been hanging out at a different chatboard called Cardboardia. So far, I've been havin' a blast. Not that I don't love the TLA, but the magic of Entmoot is lost on me. So, as soon as TLA ends, so will my existance here, probably.

Who knows though? I might stay. Highly unlikely however. This is a good bye in advance, then. Unless you want to join me and my group of friends at Cardboardia.

Cheers!
Claenoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 11:09 AM   #14
Elbereth
Elven Warrior

I could tell you in sign language, but it is sort of hard to type. Just one question, does anyone know if the letter 'j' is pronounced like 'y' in Denmark, Finland, and Iceland?

'Fate goes ever as fate must.' Beowulf (Seamus Haney's translation)

FRODO LIVES!!!
Elbereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 11:47 AM   #15
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Not sure the meaning is translatable into Ukrainian, other than literally -- which comes out "you are ugly, and your mother wears you oddly."

At any rate, if you are addressing a male informally (this is transliterated phonetically rather than being written in Cyrillic)

Ti yeh poskudniy, iy tvoya mama tebe divno odyahayeh.
Hasty Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 12:49 PM   #16
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
According to freetranslation.com ..

Norwegian -
De De' ang. stygg og Deres mor kler på De morsom.
Funny-funny!!
The correct phrase is:
Du er stygg og din mor kler deg rart.
So don't trust these translation sites.
Old 08-31-2002, 03:38 PM   #17
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Jy is lelik, en jou ma klee jy sonderling. (Afrikaans)
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote