Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-21-2002, 02:55 AM   #1
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

National Geographic Geography Quiz

National geographic had a geography quiz for 18 - 24 year olds. Here is a sample test with 20 questions and the scores for each country - Global Geographic Literacy Survey

Quote:
Survey Results: U.S. Young Adults Are Lagging

Despite the daily bombardment of news from the Middle East, Central Asia, and other world trouble spots, roughly 85 percent of young Americans could not find Afghanistan, Iraq, or Israel on a map, according to a new study.

Americans ages 18 to 24 came in next to last among nine countries in the National Geographic-Roper 2002 Global Geographic Literacy Survey, which quizzed more than 3,000 young adults in Canada, France, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Sweden, and the United States. Top scorers were young adults in Sweden, Germany, and Italy.

Out of 56 questions that were asked across all countries surveyed, on average young Americans answered 23 questions correctly. Others outside the U.S., most notably young adults in Mexico, also struggled with basic geography facts. Young people in Canada and Great Britain fared almost as poorly as those in the U.S.

Among young Americans’ startling knowledge gaps, the study found that

• nearly 30 percent of those surveyed could not find the Pacific Ocean, the world’s largest body of water;
• more than half—56 percent—were unable to locate India, home to 17 percent of people on Earth; and
• only 19 percent could name four countries that officially acknowledge having nuclear weapons.
Several perhaps interrelated factors affected performance—educational experience (including taking a geography course), international travel and language skills, a varied diet of news sources, and Internet use. Americans who reported that they accessed the Internet within the last 30 days scored 65 percent higher than those who did not.
Sadly only 30% of Americans could find New Jersey on a map. And 11% couldn't even find the US.
Quote:
34% of Americans know the tiny Marquesas Islands, where the last season of reality TV show "Survivor" was filmed, is located in the South Pacific. But only 30% could point to the location of New Jersey.
Global goofs: U.S. youth can't find Iraq
Geography: The lost world

How important is geography? I always had maps hanging my room and whenever we drove out of state I always followed our trips and where we were on a map.

It seems pretty sad that we only came a head of Mexico. I thought it was also pretty bad that the test is even multiple choice.

How well do you do on it?

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-21-2002 at 03:06 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 03:18 AM   #2
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I suck at geography, but I still managed to get 15 out of 20. I got the US population question wrong, and I got the Israel location wrong, and japan (!), and I thought that the religion question was a trick question, so I when for Islam, and which two countries had population numbers over 1 billion - I knew that China was one, but I couldn't decide between Russia and India.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:19 AM   #3
Getchan
Hobbit

Got 'em all right!! It's pretty sad when you can't find your own country on a map!
Old 11-21-2002, 09:37 AM   #4
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

19/20

Got one wrong, didn't realise that Christianity was the biggest religion, thought it was Buddhism.

Guess those boring Geography lessons at comprehensive school paid off ............ maybe should have paid more attention at Religious Educations tho'

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 10:26 AM   #5
Draken
Elf Lord

Re: 19/20

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
Got one wrong, didn't realise that Christianity was the biggest religion, thought it was Buddhism.

Guess those boring Geography lessons at comprehensive school paid off ............ maybe should have paid more attention at Religious Educations tho'
Same here, except I thought it was Islam. I'm sure it USED to be biggest. I might demand a recount!

Anyway it's not just the "yoof" who struggle - I was on a Rhine cruise once and got talking to this very nice older couple. "Just imagine", he said. "If we kept going on this river we'd get to the Med!"

I pointed out as diplomatically as I could that rivers don't flow between seas and the Rhine starts in the Alps!

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 11:35 AM   #6
jerseydevil

I got them all right - but the Christianity one I also thought was a trick question. I just thought that Europe, North America, South America and Australia are basically Christian continents - so I guess that that had to be the answer. Also - Christianity includes Lutheran, Roman Catholic, Greet Catholic, Russian Orthodox, Pentecostal, Baptist, Southern Baptist, Methodist, etc.

3% of Swedes didn't know where Sweden was. If the multiple choice list included Finland or Norway in the choices - then I would have been guessing. I couldn't remember which one was Sweden.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-21-2002 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-21-2002, 12:11 PM   #7
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Pretty dreadful all round. It's not really surprising, though, is it, given that most Americans don't own passports. There are less reasons for them to know about other countries anyway (no EU to complain about, no interminable harping on about Empire in history classes, no international cricket scandals, etc). Though you'd've thought they'd've figured out where they were going to invade by now. All I can say is, Lithuania better look to its border defences.

The UK is not much better. I hate it when there's a disaster on the news and they go on about how many Britons chipped a nail while the train crashed, killing hundreds.

Last edited by Dunadan : 11-21-2002 at 12:13 PM.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 12:43 PM   #8
Silverstripe
Empress of the Writewraiths

Location: Running around somewhere inside my head. So what are YOU doing here?!
What's really sad is when we Americans don't even know where our OWN country is. And it's not as if the shape is hard to recognize, either!
Silverstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 12:55 PM   #9
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

19/20. I missed the Religion question, too. couldn't remember if Islam passed up Christianity yet or not.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 01:01 PM   #10
Silverstripe
Empress of the Writewraiths

Location: Running around somewhere inside my head. So what are YOU doing here?!
I got them all right, but I also wasn't sure about the religion question.
Silverstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 01:48 PM   #11
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Dunadan
Pretty dreadful all round. It's not really surprising, though, is it, given that most Americans don't own passports.
Not directing this at you Dunadan - just pointing this out....

It does annoy me when people bring up the fact that most Americans don't own passports or speak a second language. As I've said before, if you superimposed our country over Europe - it would extend from the western coast of France to the Ural Mountains in Russia.

I recently figured out what the equivalent cities I would have lived in in Europe had I moved around like I have in the US. With London as being the point of New Jersey and Russia being the west coast (I know backwards) - I would have lived in England, Belgium, Germany, Russia and Turkey. If every state required a passport to travel between them like Europe did until just 1999 - Americans would have passports too. I can fly from New Jersey to California and any place in between (which I have done). This is 3,000 miles and all I need to show is my ticket and picture ID (security is a little stricter now after 9/11, but that is still all I need).
Quote:
Schengen Free Movement Begins
On March 26, 1995, the seven Schengen countries of Germany, France, Spain, Portugal and the three Benelux countries abolished border controls between themselves. These countries have established the Schengen Information System in Strasbourg, simplified extradition arrangements, and agreed on a list of countries from which visas will be required to enter any Schengen member country. Britain threatened to veto any attempt to mandate the extension of the Schengen agreement to all EU states.

The traveling public noticed little change because most of the land borders shared by the seven countries had been reduced or eliminated since customs checks ended on January 1, 1993 with the launching of the single European market. The main impact of the Schengen changes will be felt at airports, which will make a distinction between passengers arriving from within the Schengen area and those flying in from outside. Hence, flights between Munich and Paris will be able treated domestic trips, and passengers will be able to travel without their passports.
Quote:
European Mobility
One important component of a united Europe is the freedom of persons to move within the EU’s borders. Under what is known as the Schengen Accord, the participating countries have abolished their border controls on the movement of people. This has also, since 1999, been inscribed in the EU’s constitution. At the same time, measures to combat illegal immigration are essential.
Quote:
Euromyths
Fact:
Firstly, there is no such thing as a European passport. There are British passports, French passports, German passports, etc. Each follows a European format in order to speed up travel in the EU by making it easier for customs and police officers to recognise.

There are no plans to replace the Queen’s crest with the EU stars. In any case, no such measure could be imposed on Britain. ‘Euro officials’ cannot order changes to passports without the agreement of the UK government.
But how many Europeans actually travel outside of Europe? It's not that Americans don't travel - it's just that we have a huge country of our own that we can travel in. If someone in England says that they've been to France - well that's like me saying that I've been to New York. I've been to 40 states, so I've seen most of the US. I've also lived in 6 of those states - so I have a very good idea about the different areas of the US.

The fact that Americans travel to fewer foreign countries is all relative to European countries being the size of out states. It's easy for a European to say they've traveled outside their country. It's much harder for us when we live in one of the largest countries in the world and are surrounded by water on both sides.

By the way - I had a passport when I went to England twice - but I let it expire. I don't need it to go to Canada (even if I fly in there) and I don't need it for Mexico. If I travel overseas again - which I plan to - I will get another one.

In terms of speaking foreign languages - the same holds true. Our country is an English speaking country. The European Union has this to contend with -
Quote:
EU translation plan provokes protest
The EC currently employs 2,500 translators among its 20,000 staff and its translation costs make up 1% of the annual budget but 40% of administration costs.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-21-2002 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-21-2002, 01:49 PM   #12
jerseydevil

continued...

I do think that the US's numbers are ridiculous though. We have some of the best universities in the world, the best industries, and the best companies - yet people can't find New Jersey on a map or know where the hot spots of the world are. Obvisouly more people would rather worry about who the "Bachelor" picked ('Bachelor' picks brunette Helene) than what is going on in Iran or Iraq or any other part of the world.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what society or schools can do to make people more educated in geography and what is going on in the world?

In my 6th grade we had open classrooms (4th, 5th and 6th all in one class and people worked at their levels) - every Friday we had a news cast. Someone was assigned international, national, local, sports, etc and had to research an event that was happening. We had about 5 newscasters a week and we sat at the "anchor desk" and reported the news (someone also did weather ). We then discussed as a class the news items. At the time I guess I didn't think I was learning anything - because it was fun and everyone had a good time. We sat in circles and talked about things and figured out where things were happening in the world. Now I realise that I was actually learning there and I wish schools would look beyond the standard methods of teaching.

Here is a quiz (Take the European test) about the European Union that was given to Europeans. England came in second to last.
Quote:
Quiz reveals Europe's knowledge gap
Britain and Portugal do worst - only getting around half of the 20 questions on the EU, European history, geography and culture correct.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-21-2002 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-21-2002, 02:04 PM   #13
katya
Elven Maiden

I just missed the US population question. I got the rest right. And I'm not even 18 yet. (14)
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 03:50 PM   #14
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Re:Europea Test

I only got 7/8 ...........although the question I got wrong was "Who wrote Hansel and Gretal" so I think I can live with myself

It is shocking that many of the basic facts of geography and history aren't being taught (or not being taught effectively enough).......I last studied geography 13 yrs ago and can still remember the basics as covered in the National Geographic quiz.

I wonder exactly what kids are taught in school these days Whatever it is it's not enough

What also worries me is that parents seem oblivious to it........would you not become concerned if your child couldn't identify their home country on a map?

Beatallica
Old 11-21-2002, 04:55 PM   #15
Draken
Elf Lord

Re: continued...

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
England came in second to last.
England? The item said Britain.

....or am I?
Old 11-21-2002, 04:58 PM   #16
Draken
Elf Lord

Re: Re:Europea Test

Quote:
I only got 7/8 ...........although the question I got wrong was "Who wrote Hansel and Gretal" so I think I can live with myself

It is shocking that many of the basic facts of geography and history aren't being taught (or not being taught effectively enough).......I last studied geography 13 yrs ago and can still remember the basics as covered in the National Geographic quiz.

I wonder exactly what kids are taught in school these days Whatever it is it's not enough

What also worries me is that parents seem oblivious to it........would you not become concerned if your child couldn't identify their home country on a map?
7 for me too, got my Scandinavians mixed up, which is never pleasant.

....or am I?
Old 11-21-2002, 04:59 PM   #17
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

Re: Re:Europea Test

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Coney
[B]I only got 7/8 ...........although the question I got wrong was "Who wrote Hansel and Gretal" so I think I can live with myself

THE BROTHER'S GRIMM. Mx
Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 05:15 PM   #18
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Re: Re: Re:Europea Test

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Miranda
Quote:
THE BROTHER'S GRIMM. Mx
Ty my European knowledge is now complete

Beatallica
Old 11-21-2002, 05:16 PM   #19
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

Re: Re: Re: Re:Europea Test

Quote:
Ty my European knowledge is now complete

Glad to be of service. Mx
Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 05:29 PM   #20
jerseydevil

Re: Re: continued...

Quote:
Originally posted by Draken
England? The item said Britain.
Sorry - Britain. Mistyped. I do know the difference between the two.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide