Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-20-2002, 03:34 AM   #1
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
HTML - a couple of questions!

I've just begun tinkering with HTML to make my own homepage. I've found a couple of sites with basic HTML codes. But they seem a bit jumbled.

My questions:

1. Has Tables replaced Frames? I tried to find Frames in the lists of basic HTML I found while searching the net.

2. Which are the number-letter codes for regular colours: Blue, Red, Yellow, Green, Black, White and Brown? A list of the alternate shades would be nice to have as well.

3. Do you think that Word works as well as Notepad in the writing of HTML and subsequent viewing of the result?
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 03:49 AM   #2
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

I'm not really an expert on this and it's been a while since I've done any HTML, but I'll try to help..

1. I think frames are a bit more advanced than basic HTML.

2. For regular colors like those, you can just use the tag:
<font color="name_of_color">
Do you know the system for HTML colors yet (RGB, hexidecimal, etc.)? I think you'll need that if you want alternate shades.

3. I think most people prefer Notepad (or similar programs) because it's simpler. Word is designed for writing, not coding, so it has some annoying features. If you do use Word, remember to save as .html

Good luck with your website.
Old 08-20-2002, 05:06 AM   #3
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Mirahzi
I'm not really an expert on this and it's been a while since I've done any HTML, but I'll try to help..

1. I think frames are a bit more advanced than basic HTML.

2. For regular colors like those, you can just use the tag:
<font color="name_of_color">
Do you know the system for HTML colors yet (RGB, hexidecimal, etc.)? I think you'll need that if you want alternate shades.

3. I think most people prefer Notepad (or similar programs) because it's simpler. Word is designed for writing, not coding, so it has some annoying features. If you do use Word, remember to save as .html

Good luck with your website.
Thank you. After I've written the code in Notepad I tried to open the document in Internet Explorer (in offline mode) but it didn't work (in spite of the fact that I saved it as "text only"). So, info on how to view the results would be gratefully received.
Old 08-20-2002, 05:14 AM   #4
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

I think you need to save it as an HTML file (.html) as opposed to a text file (.txt).
Old 08-20-2002, 06:22 AM   #5
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

BTW, if you have trouble saving it as a .html file in windows, saving it as a .htm will do (w/o the l at the end).

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 07:30 AM   #6
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

HERE is where i got my info on colour from. It's a chart of colour numbers and names. Hope that's helpful!

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 11:05 AM   #7
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Elfmaster XK
HERE is where i got my info on colour from. It's a chart of colour numbers and names. Hope that's helpful!
Perfect. Thanks a lot. Just what I've been looking for. All the colours I would ever need.
Old 08-20-2002, 04:15 PM   #8
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Re: HTML - a couple of questions!

I've just begun tinkering with HTML to make my own homepage.The BEST way to start!

1. Has Tables replaced Frames? Sort of. Frames are still used on some pages, but are very annoying because of browser-incompatability and other problems. Tables are used for design of most webpages, but they are being replaced by <DIV> and <SPAN> and similar tags used with CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) but don't bother using those tags right now, stick with Tables. (to learn CSS which is very helpful check out http://www.jessett.com/web_sites/css/index.shtml )
Which are the number-letter codes for regular colours: Blue, Red, Yellow, Green, Black, White and Brown?You can use [font color="colorname"> as someone said, but your best bet would be to use a hexadecimal chart like elfmaster listed.

3. Do you think that Word works as well as Notepad in the writing of HTML and subsequent viewing of the result? DON'T USE WORD! Notepad is by far the best. Word will wrap text and try to spell check and all sorts of bad things.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 06:43 PM   #9
Faramir
Elven Warrior

I understand HTML, but it's a real pain.
==========================
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
==========================
I Love Jesus!

Last edited by Faramir : 08-20-2002 at 06:44 PM.
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 08:59 AM   #10
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Re: Re: HTML - a couple of questions!

Quote:
Originally posted by emplynx
I've just begun tinkering with HTML to make my own homepage.The BEST way to start!

1. Has Tables replaced Frames? Sort of. Frames are still used on some pages, but are very annoying because of browser-incompatability and other problems. Tables are used for design of most webpages, but they are being replaced by <DIV> and <SPAN> and similar tags used with CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) but don't bother using those tags right now, stick with Tables. (to learn CSS which is very helpful check out http://www.jessett.com/web_sites/css/index.shtml )
Which are the number-letter codes for regular colours: Blue, Red, Yellow, Green, Black, White and Brown?You can use [font color="colorname"> as someone said, but your best bet would be to use a hexadecimal chart like elfmaster listed.

3. Do you think that Word works as well as Notepad in the writing of HTML and subsequent viewing of the result? DON'T USE WORD! Notepad is by far the best. Word will wrap text and try to spell check and all sorts of bad things.

thanks for all the info.
Old 08-21-2002, 12:00 PM   #11
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

There's no real reason to code HTML completely by hand anymore. Netscape browsers include an HTML editor free. It's WYSIWYG too. So you just drag and drop and get to see what the page looks like as you design it. For instance to change the colors of your page - you just choose "Format" from the main menu and select "Page Colors and Background". Select the "Custom Colors" radio button - choose "Background" and a popup appears with the actual colors. When you select one - it also tells you what the associated HexCode is. When you select okay - it changes the color of the background in your design window so you actually see it as it will look to the users.

Netscape Download

I use Netscape 7.0 - the browser is really cool with a lot more functionality than IE. I no longer use Netscape to design webpages though - I use Dreamweaver UltraDev. But for a free webpage design tool - I've never seen anything that comes close to Netscapes.

In terms of Tables replacing Frames - no they're not. They're used for two different purposes. I use frames on my AboutNewJersey.com site. Although I know some people hate them - but sometimes frames come in handy. I use it to keep the top and bottom sections stable and then the dynamic webpages appear in the main middle section. I have another design where it uses no frames - AboutNJ.com

If you have any questions - let me know. I'm teaching someone HTML and webdevelopment at work right now.

By the way - I just quickly looked at Netscape's 7.0 built in Webpage designer and it looks really good. It has tabs on the buttom so you can easily switch from graphic design mode to raw HTML mode. . Before you had select "view code" and it would open in an external text editor like notepad. It also has a "Preview" tab and a "Show Tags" tab. The show tags tab is cool because it shows you what tag the HTML element uses - but keeps you in design mode. It's hard to explain - but I would seriously check it out - it'll make learning HTML a thousand times easier

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 08-21-2002 at 12:19 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 09:57 AM   #12
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
There's no real reason to code HTML completely by hand anymore. Netscape browsers include an HTML editor free. It's WYSIWYG too. So you just drag and drop and get to see what the page looks like as you design it. For instance to change the colors of your page - you just choose "Format" from the main menu and select "Page Colors and Background". Select the "Custom Colors" radio button - choose "Background" and a popup appears with the actual colors. When you select one - it also tells you what the associated HexCode is. When you select okay - it changes the color of the background in your design window so you actually see it as it will look to the users.

Netscape Download

I use Netscape 7.0 - the browser is really cool with a lot more functionality than IE. I no longer use Netscape to design webpages though - I use Dreamweaver UltraDev. But for a free webpage design tool - I've never seen anything that comes close to Netscapes.

In terms of Tables replacing Frames - no they're not. They're used for two different purposes. I use frames on my AboutNewJersey.com site. Although I know some people hate them - but sometimes frames come in handy. I use it to keep the top and bottom sections stable and then the dynamic webpages appear in the main middle section. I have another design where it uses no frames - AboutNJ.com

If you have any questions - let me know. I'm teaching someone HTML and webdevelopment at work right now.

By the way - I just quickly looked at Netscape's 7.0 built in Webpage designer and it looks really good. It has tabs on the buttom so you can easily switch from graphic design mode to raw HTML mode. . Before you had select "view code" and it would open in an external text editor like notepad. It also has a "Preview" tab and a "Show Tags" tab. The show tags tab is cool because it shows you what tag the HTML element uses - but keeps you in design mode. It's hard to explain - but I would seriously check it out - it'll make learning HTML a thousand times easier
Thanks indeed for all the info. Will definitely download that Netscape pgm. Currently I have something called Coffecup HTML editor which I think is a bit difficult to handle and it has a termination date (last only 50 days, which I think doesn't allow for learning all the necessary functions properly). Will therefore try Netscape instead.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 08-23-2002 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-23-2002, 09:59 AM   #13
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Another editor you can get it Web Artist 1.0 SE. Not sure where from, you mite be able to download, but if not i got a copy froma magazine disk, i think it was supposed to be a only wroks for so many days thing but we managed to keep it somehow...

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote