Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-19-2002, 02:23 PM   #1
Churl
Elven Warrior

Insteresting speculation

Here’s an interesting question for all of us who have read The Lord of the Rings before seeing the movies.

Do you think you would enjoy the movies more if you had never read the book beforehand?

Please note that I’m not asking “which is the better sequence to maximize enjoyment of the book?” Obviously you would want to read it first, get the real story, bask in Tolkien’s language, form your own mental images, and only then come here to gripe and nitpick after seeing the films.   That’s not my question, though.  I’m just asking whether or not you would have enjoyed the films more if you weren’t familiar with the book.

When you consider the dissatisfaction you feel when the films “get something wrong,” it’s easy to answer “yes” immediately.

But try to imagine all you’d be missing: the thrill you feel when they get things absolutely right … when someone delivers a line right out of the book, exactly as it should be delivered … familiarity with the geography of who’s where at any given time … all the references (Valinor, the White Tower of Ecthelion etc.) which would seem vague or inexplicable without prior knowledge of the book … much more.

On the other hand, though, it’s telling to note that some of the films’ harshest critics (ahem, you know who you are) are we who love the book most.  Everyone else — professional critics and general moviegoers alike — seem to be utterly blown away by the films.  So, sheerly for the purpose of enjoying the movies, maybe it’s better not to have read the book first.  (Again, I’d never recommend this because of the effect it would have on your first reading, but remember the question.)

For myself, despite the occasional frustrations, I still believe that reading the the book beforehand has allowed me to enjoy the movies more.  Of course, despite my attempt to stay objective, my answer might be tainted by knowing how priceless that first read is …

What do you think?

P.S.  Try to keep this thread free of spoilers for the Two Towers film … there’s already a thread (jerseydevil’s What people think of Two Towers (*SPOILERS*)) for specific raves and gripes about it.

Last edited by Churl : 12-19-2002 at 04:36 PM.
Churl is offline   Reply With Quote