Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-22-2003, 05:30 AM   #1
Aragorn_of_the_west
Enting

Speculation: What if Sauron got the One?

Everything that is related to LOTR has a connection to the fact that Saurons ring was destroyed and was throne into the void.

So, a interesting question( if there is already thread like this- im sorry) is- what if he did get his? how would it affect ME? and my last question is- would he try something even more drastic than conquring ME- might he attact he west?

Copy and past the URL and press continue:
http://www.kingsofchaos.com/page.php?id=437705
Aragorn_of_the_west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 05:59 AM   #2
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

If he had got the One, all what had been made with the Tree would have fallen and the elves would have to part or to remain in ME and fade. So, for elves, there would be no difference: once the One was found, their last hope to live in ME was lost.

So, the main purpose of Sauron if he had got the Ring would be to enslave all men.

I don't think he could attack the West since in the Third Age there was not a proper West. The Blessed realm was unreacheable except for the elven ships, and those for a special grace of the Valar.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:06 AM   #3
Aragorn_of_the_west
Enting

Strider

Oh, but if Sauron would gain very much power- he would eventually have the power to attack the west- that is actual overall porpose- just like Morgoth- he wants to dominate Arda.

Old 04-22-2003, 06:49 AM   #4
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Oh, but if Sauron would gain very much power- he would eventually have the power to attack the west- that is actual overall purpose- just like Morgoth- he wants to dominate Arda.
So what are the Orcs going to fly over the sea and make their way to the straight road? Melkor's 'creatures' or even evil men had a natural 'hatred' of the sea (it being a Morgoth free element).

Besides even Morgoth didn't dream of conquering the west when the Valar removed to Aman, as he knew he wasn't powerful enough, and Sauron had no where near enough power to take it. and he wouldn't have contemplated such a thing.

Myths Transformed tells us:

Quote:
He (Sauron) did not object to the existence of the world, so long as he would do what he liked with it....
It's is probable that the world here is a reference to M-E. So Sauron would've turned the whole of M-E into a giant Mordor. It would’ve been something akin to Beleriand after the Nirnaeth except on a larger scale and little chance of a Valinorean intervention. Myths Transformed also tells us about his view on the changing of the world after the fall of Numenor:

Quote:
He problably deluded himself with the notion that the Valar having failed, Eru had simply abaonded Ea, or at any rate Arda would not concern himself with it any more. It would appear that he interpreted the 'change of the world'...Valar under (and Elves) were removed from effective control, and men under god curse and wrath...
Quote:
was throne into the void.
Sauron's ring was not THROWN into the void. It was destroyed at Orodruin. The void is Arda's equivalent of the solar system. Things aren't just thrown into the void, Morgoth’s was executed by Namo and his spirit fled there and in the Published Silmarillion Tolkien comments on Sauron’s fea removing into the void.
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 07:16 AM   #5
Aragorn_of_the_west
Enting

Thanks- now that part is clearer to me.
one more question- did Sauron gain power once he had the one ring( not army, personall power), did it make him a more powerful Maia, or did it others lesser than him?

Old 04-22-2003, 10:48 AM   #6
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

Quote:
one more question- did Sauron gain power once he had the one ring( not army, personall power), did it make him a more powerful Maia
It increased his power.
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 11:56 AM   #7
Elvellyn
The Redneck Elf

There is a thread about this kind of stuff here.

Last edited by Elvellyn : 04-22-2003 at 12:02 PM.
Elvellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 02:19 PM   #8
Aragorn_of_the_west
Enting

thanks guys( and gals )

Old 04-22-2003, 02:22 PM   #9
MasterMothra
Elven Warrior

There can be no doubt that The Blessed Realm and Aman would be next on Sauron's list. Absolute Power corrupts absolutely. He would not have been satisfied until ALL of the known world was under his control. I'll use IS's quote from MT:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He (Sauron) did not object to the existence of the world, so long as he would do what he liked with it....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty clear.

How would he reach Aman? Who knows? They said Aman was unreachable before, and then Ar-Pharazon set foot on the holy land. Where theres a will, theres a way.

Quote:
did Sauron gain power once he had the one ring( not army, personall power), did it make him a more powerful Maia, or did it others lesser than him?
Sauron's power only increased to the point he could control those who wore the other rings. If no one would have worn the rings, he would not have gained any power.

Last edited by MasterMothra : 04-22-2003 at 02:25 PM.
MasterMothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 06:39 AM   #10
Aragorn_of_the_west
Enting

thanx- thats cleared things up.

Old 05-07-2003, 07:10 AM   #11
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Sauron's power only increased to the point he could control those who wore the other rings. If no one would have worn the rings, he would not have gained any power.
This is an eminently incorrect statement.

The ring's power did /not/ stop at controlling the other rings. That was merely the beginning, and the reason it could control them was that they drew on the same source as it for power.

The ring was described as giving power according to one's stature. With the ring in his possession, sauron could bend the wills of others because that's what he was able to do without it. Gollum's senses became keener, he gained the ability to find out secrets, because that was his nature. Samwise was tempted with a vision of turning mordor into a garden paradise because, as is shown later when he helps heal the shire, he was a gardener at heart.

The ring represents, I believe, the very raw, unconstrained essense of power. It is the localized ability to do whatever your heart desires.

And so one needs not speculate. What any given individual would accomplish with the use of the ring is the same as what they could accomplish without it, only more so, and invariably in a corrupted form.

Sauron, in his heart, desired order. And that desire for order was turned to a desire to control, which led to a desire for domination. Had he regained his ring that is what he would have accomplished- dominated, controlled, ordered middle earth as he saw fit.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:38 PM   #12
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

Here's my theory on what would happen to each race:

Men: Sauron wouldv'e probably targeted them first. They would've tried to fight back, but couldn't and eventually would be completely wiped out, or they would try to ally with Sauron instead.
Elves: Well, being the stuck-up race they are (sorry ) they would've already left Middle-earth, but the few remaining ones probably would probably attack Mordor, but fail, leaving Middle-earth Elfless.
Dwarves: Mostly likely fight against Sauron, but die in the process.
Ents: Sauron would probably burn them all down.
Hobbits: These guys would be last to survive, and eventually wage war with Sauron (and they'd win, too)
Old 05-07-2003, 08:50 PM   #13
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

What do you think would have happened to the wizards???
I personally think Gandalf would have started a secret rebel society to conquer Sauron, and Pippin and Merry would have been his cheif conspirators! Mwahaha...que the 007 themesong....Ahahahaha....

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Dreran the Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 08:44 AM   #14
MasterMothra
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
This is an eminently incorrect statement.
not in relation to the benefits sauron gained from the ring. that was the question asked. we are well aware of the power that others received from the ring, but as far as sauron is concerned the one ring was forged to control the other rings. that was the power that sauron received from his precious.

i think this was the question asked:

"one more question- did Sauron gain power once he had the one ring( not army, personall power), did it make him a more powerful Maia, or did it others lesser than him?"

this was the response:

"Sauron's power only increased to the point he could control those who wore the other rings. If no one would have worn the rings, he would not have gained any power."

if sauron gained any other powers from the ring then i stand corrected.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:46 AM   #15
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

I think, If Sauron got the One Ring, there would have begun a very long age when Men gloomily die off and elves are reluctantly massacred. Once the Ring's power had destroyed everything, it would have somehow corrupted Sauron and then left him to his doom. Eventually, ME would cease to exist.

Unless the Eldar interfered after the destruction.

But what about the dwarves? I think if Sauron got the Ring the dwarves could have done something about it. I suppose it would be up to Tolkien.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:33 PM   #16
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

Hmmm....Dwarves. Sauron would probably try to take some and turn 'em into little, bearded orcish guys. Of course I don't think it'd work, but he'd try. They'd fight him too, wage a little war of their own.

If Sauron did end up controlling the other Ringbearers, would Gandalf be corrupted too?? That's scary.

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Dreran the Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 02:04 PM   #17
Aragorn_of_the_west
Enting

yeah- and sad too- that everything that was good was destuctive-
but i dont think that the one ring would corrupet Sauron because he made it and it is part of him, so it "co-opperates" with him and helps him to achieve his goal.

Old 07-01-2003, 01:32 AM   #18
Gamigar
Elven Warrior

Re: Speculation: What if Sauron got the One?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Aragorn_of_the_west
[B] Saurons ring was destroyed and was throne into the void.

If this is so, what if Sauron was thrown into the void and got the ring there, could he come back and enslave the world? Or would he just rule the infinite nothingness?
And I must follow if I can
Pursuing it with eager feet
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet
And wither then I can not say
Gamigar is offline   Reply With Quote