Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-09-2003, 12:34 AM   #1
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Accents

There was a thread a while back discussing how to speak with a British accent, but this thread is devoted to accents in general. Do you speak with an accent? What kind of accents do you like to hear in other people?

I guess I speak with a Southern Drawl, although I like to think that it's not as pronounced as the stereotypical Southern accent. To me, it's more apparent when I say certain words. I'll say one of those words and think, "I sound like a hick...".

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 12:48 AM   #2
wahine
The Original Amazonian Coconut

I think I have stated this before, but I was born in England, so I have a British (proper English) accent. Which is extremely weird when I say the few Hawaiian phrases I know. Although, I know it has toned down alot over time, both of my older brothers have prodominent accents. (So thick you could slice it with a knife).

I personally like the Scottish montra. And Australian. And Upper East Cost. (NJ, NY, ME, etc.)

Scottish because it sounds hilarious.
Australians cause almost all of them love surfing, and I've known oh so many.
Upper East Cost, traditional American accent. Sometimes clean cut, sometimes not, it all sounds good.

Is that sufficient Khamul?
Old 01-09-2003, 01:01 AM   #3
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I have a kiwi accent. Imagine australian, only not as heavy. We have a tendency to speak fast, and have a slight inflex at the end of our sentences... sorta sounds like a questioning tone. We also have a shortened "i" sound which can sound quite mushy sometimes.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:08 AM   #4
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I have an Australian accent (duh!). I think the New Zealand accent is very close to ours and you can only separate them when New Zealanders say certain words (like fish). Everybody here probably knows the Kiwi accent from listening to Peter Jackson anyway. I wonder if (say) Americans can tell the difference between the Australian and New Zealand accent, because I can't tell the difference between the American and Canadian accent. I love Scottish and Indian accents.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:11 AM   #5
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Mine would be flat Midwestern (US), I suppose. Although occasionally I'm asked where I'm from, and when I speak German I'm told I sound Austrian. Probably comes from speaking Ukrainian growing up (my parents were immigrants and I was brought up speaking Ukrainian at home). Can't help but trill my 'rrr's when I speak anything besides English.

Last edited by Hasty Ent : 01-09-2003 at 01:13 AM.
Hasty Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 02:10 AM   #6
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I dunno, I guess I have a 'northwestern US accent'

I think my favorite accents would be Scottish and Irish. I think I can pull off a semi-decent Scottish accent, but I'm sure it sounds terrible

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 02:24 AM   #7
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
...New Zealanders say certain words (like fish).
To clarify:

Aussie: Feeeesh
New Zealand: Fush.

Old 01-09-2003, 02:52 AM   #8
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

I've picked up the Canadian accent during my time at school here in BC (my home is just north of Seattle, Wash.)

The difference, Cass, is especially distinguished (as you've pointed out for the Aussie and Kiwi accents) in certain words. Most common example: about. Americans pronounce the 'ou' as like you would if you said "ouch", while Canadians close their vowells, and sound as if they are saying, "aboat".

Also, if an American is turning a sentence into a question, they'll add, "huh?" to the end, while Canadians typically will end in "eh?"

General rule of thumb is that Canadians tend to close their vowells, and chop their words short, while Americans tend more to draw things out.

Favorite accent? definately Indian. music to my ears
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 02:57 AM   #9
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I think my accent is slightly Canadian, after reading your descriptin, Crickhollow. Not only do I say 'eh?' as opposed to 'huh?' I also tend to chop things short some.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 03:03 AM   #10
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

Yeah, people tell me alot that I have a canadian accent. I think the a's are different, people always say the way I say 'family' and 'against' are the most noticable. And eh?
~Celebréiel
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 05:30 AM   #11
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Wy aye hinny, tis a canny auld life!

I speak with a Geordie/Scots/Irish accent

I live in N.E. England........I kick around with a bunch of Scots and I spend a good part of the year in Ireland.........I'm a bit of a mocking bird so when I spend time with folks of differing accents I tend to adopt them .

Favourite accent: Defo' Scots.......those folks actually talk at a decent speed

Worst: A Brummie (Birmingham) accent..........ya can fall asleep waiting for a Brummie to complete a sentence

Beatallica

Last edited by Coney : 01-09-2003 at 05:33 AM.
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 05:35 AM   #12
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

I'm a cockney lass through and through!!!! Maybe with the odd Irish twang here and there- family origins- and I can be dreadfully posh when I want to be! But most of the time I sound like I should be selling flowers on Tottenham Court Road!!! Mx
Old 01-09-2003, 06:46 AM   #13
Dwarven Sen
Elven Warrior

I have a mancunian accent, but its not strong. ie, i call my sister jessica, not jessicoh. For some reson though i say 9 as nyne. I have a slight tendency towards irish (family), and will be going to a scottish university for 5 years so by the time i'm 23 i will be a complete mix up.

Dont heckle the supervillain

Note to Self: Remember that sarcasm is hard to detect from text.

What ever you do, don't click this link!

my LJ
Dwarven Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 01:50 PM   #14
Elf.Freak
Orli's lil fan

i have an English accent (not proper though!) but sometimes when i speak too fast i sound Scottish!
~
I've gotta new avatar! looks kinda like me...anime style!
~
LOST: Orlando Bloom. If found, please send him straight to Elf.Freak
Elf.Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 02:29 PM   #15
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Miranda
I'm a cockney lass through and through!!!! Maybe with the odd Irish twang here and there- family origins- and I can be dreadfully posh when I want to be! But most of the time I sound like I should be selling flowers on Tottenham Court Road!!! Mx
Ach, I once got into a conversation with a real EastEnd cockney......the barmaid interrupted and asked if either of us were actually speaking in English

Beatallica
Old 01-09-2003, 02:44 PM   #16
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Anybody ever heard South African accents? I wouldn't really know how to describe mine, other than....flat.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 02:52 PM   #17
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by crickhollow
The difference, Cass, is especially distinguished (as you've pointed out for the Aussie and Kiwi accents) in certain words. Most common example: about. Americans pronounce the 'ou' as like you would if you said "ouch", while Canadians close their vowells, and sound as if they are saying, "aboat".
ah-HA! THAT'S the word I was trying to remember, crick - just like 'fish' for NZs and Aussies, 'about' is the word to listen for to tell a Yank and a Canadian apart - Yanks say "aBOWT", Canadians say "aBOOT" or "aBOAT". BTW, are there any slang terms for Canadians?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 03:36 PM   #18
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Canuck
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 03:38 PM   #19
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Anduril
Anybody ever heard South African accents? I wouldn't really know how to describe mine, other than....flat.
I've a good friend in Durban.......I'd descibe his accent as a cross between Germanic and Welsh ......tis a pretty cool accent tho'.

Beatallica
Old 01-09-2003, 03:45 PM   #20
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Hmmm. I'm trying to compare my accent to that of other nationalities, but I can't. I sound nothing like generic Merkians or Brits, or Ozzies or....or anybody.

Perhaps I should record my voice and get some 'Mooter opinions. Sorry, no mic.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote