Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-23-2003, 08:12 PM   #1
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

ROTK: Did you cheer?

I have never been to a theater where there was such an involved audience than when I went to see ROTK. I knew it was going to be a good crowd when I drove up and saw an elf, Boromir, and Rosie Cotton standing in line. The first cheer for the movie came when the words "Wingnut Productions" floated onscreen. "WINGNUT!!" shouted this fellow behind me. I loved it so much, my friends and I are going to do the same thing when we go and see it again. I just hope we don't get thrown out of the theater, because I'm going to a small-town one for the second time round.
We cheered for Gimli's resolute "Face it laddie, we're goin' with ya." and for Sam sticking Orcs and Legolas killing the Mumakil single handedly (although the real cheers came for Gimli's "That still counts as one."). I was the one (congratulate a shy person for distiguishing herself so in a crowd of people) who started the cheer for good old Pippin beating Gandalf to the punch on that Orc. WHOO HOO! We even clapped and cheered along with the Gondorians for Aragorn's speech.
Other things that got reactions were Sam and Rosie's kiss, most of Gimli's lines, the wandering three-some (Strider, Gimli and Legolas) jumping from the ships at Pellenor, Aragorn and Arwen's kiss, Eowyn killing the witch-king, Pip lighting the beacons (now THAT was AWESOME).
Did you cheer? If so, at what moments?
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 09:47 PM   #2
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I plan to! I haven't seen it yet.
(hard to dump two kids this time of year. If there was a good kid movie playing at the same time like there was when TTT came out, I could do it easy enough... )

but when I do, I plan to cheer all I want. (and wail when Theoden dies! ) I'm not shy, and I like to cut lose when I feel strongly, so...let it rip baby! Don't say nothin to me now!
Old 12-23-2003, 10:48 PM   #3
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

well at the end of the movie there was a pathetic attempt at astanding ovation(which i was not involved in) but im sure more people wanted to just to embarrassed
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 01:45 AM   #4
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

When the credits started rolling in, we stayed to see the great sketches of all the main characters and my group The Philippine Tolkien Society applauded when our favorite actors/actresses were shown.

When Gimli came up, I stood up and did a Gimli-like roar of triumph while saying "YEEESSS!!" and everyone cheered! It was great!

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 12-24-2003 at 02:05 AM.
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 08:35 AM   #5
zinnite
Elven Warrior

Unfortunately, at the showing I atended the biggest cheer came when Gandalf wacked Denethor around. I just wanted to throw my drink at someone.
Eowyn/Merry/Witch King got a really good response, though, as did the scenes where Sam rescued Frodo (Shelob and carrying him), which almost redeemed the audience.
"WHERE? WHERE?"
"Oh. Well, it blazes up from a crimson-sheathed visage brooding darkly above the haunted towers of impotent indignity which, like melons hovering unhappily over lifetimes of empty meaning which-"
"THE ADDRESS!"
"Oh. Oh, I didn't notice. But look for a brooding, glaring trail of cosmic fury rising from a crimson-sheathed visage-"
They lead him back to his car, and send him on. -- Philip K. Dick

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." -- Diderot
zinnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 08:38 AM   #6
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
Originally posted by zinnite
Unfortunately, at the showing I atended the biggest cheer came when Gandalf wacked Denethor around. I just wanted to throw my drink at someone.
Same here. Though I didn't have any drink...
Old 12-24-2003, 09:02 AM   #7
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
Oh why don't they put up RotK without subtitles at Gimli .... uhhh, I mean GIMLE, as they did with FotR. Then I would have a drink to throw ... though probably at giggling Legsie-fans.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:21 AM   #8
zinnite
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
I'm seeing it again today. I think I'll buy two drinks, just in case. And maybe some hard candy

I just remembered an odd applause moment--they did it when the giant rock was falling towards the elephant-man orc. It built up and built up as the rock was coming, and then stopped dead when the orc moved out of the way. It was pretty funny.

And there was one guy (not me) who clapped every time a character said the right line from the book at the right moment.
"WHERE? WHERE?"
"Oh. Well, it blazes up from a crimson-sheathed visage brooding darkly above the haunted towers of impotent indignity which, like melons hovering unhappily over lifetimes of empty meaning which-"
"THE ADDRESS!"
"Oh. Oh, I didn't notice. But look for a brooding, glaring trail of cosmic fury rising from a crimson-sheathed visage-"
They lead him back to his car, and send him on. -- Philip K. Dick

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." -- Diderot
zinnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 02:45 PM   #9
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

When ROTK finished and the credits started rolling everyone started clapping and cheering and whistling and it was great!

But no one cheered at all throughout the movie (i don't think) I heard people sobbing though. lol
I cheered a couple of times (quitely)...like when Eowyn slayed the Witch King and when Rohirrium army rode over the hill at the Armies from Mordor. That was brilliant
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 03:39 PM   #10
Goldberry1
Elven Warrior

Hmm, no one when I saw it was so involved. This one person - I think towards the front - started clapping when the opening credits were coming on and almost instantly stopped when no one joined in. I don't even think anyone clapped at the end... one guy shouted 'finally!' when the endings ended.
Old 12-24-2003, 04:02 PM   #11
Elvedans
Diamond Of The Night Sky

When i went to see it the first time the crowd clapped and cheered loads and it was really great especially at the bedroom scene near the end when all the fellowship are appearing in the door, but some people laughed and started taking the mick. Needless to say my friends had to restrain me from whacking them one! I was (embarassingly for my friends) the main participater and apparently i was 'fighting' and 'riding' along with all the characters. All i remember is the tears! The end credits were so sad but i stood up and cheered alone all the same. I was still there when the theatre had nearly emptied, but what the heck!
Elvedans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 04:04 PM   #12
Aden
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Oh why don't they put up RotK without subtitles at Gimli .... uhhh, I mean GIMLE, as they did with FotR. Then I would have a drink to throw ... though probably at giggling Legsie-fans.
Same here! Though I wouldn't waste my drink...
Aden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 12:41 AM   #13
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I make it a point to not cheer and clap at movies, just because I feel odd. I save that for stage performances.

There was, however, a LOT of cheering when Eowyn beheaded the fell beast, and I gave my little "yes..." under my breath.
Old 12-27-2003, 04:28 PM   #14
thranduil
Elven Warrior

I saw it opening night, oddly there was no cheering at all. All I heard were three girls behind us and laughed there heads off when frodo got stung and when Bilbo was shown. At the end I threw a piece of popcorn at the closest ones head.
thranduil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 04:48 PM   #15
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
The audience I saw it with was very responsive, and cheering was frequent. Gah, I don't even remember allt eh times they cheered. When Eowyn beheaded the fell beast, when the beasons were lit, ah . . . yeah, when Gandalf whacked Denethor . . . but I love Sour Patch kids, so no, I didn't waste any pitching them. I just glared. Anyways, we did a lot of clapping . . . I'll try to remember what bits . . .

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 05:05 PM   #16
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

I WANTED to cheer a lot, but I restrained myself. There were several times when I did a little 'yes' to myself when I thought they really nailed (in a good way) a crucial scene. I MOST wanted to cheer (and did clapping motion without making sounds) at the wedding of Sam & Rosie... hey, Hobbiton was clapping, so it would've been easy enough to join in!

It's another thread, but I got closest to tearing up at the passing of Theoden.

Gotta go see it again!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 10:09 PM   #17
Sophie
Sapling

Gollum Cried

I cried numerous times. I don't know why. Oh, there were definite tears at the end. I think it was, other than the pure beauty of the movie, that the ending of the movie series marked the end of an era for my friends and I. We have gone to the 12 shows all together beginning in sophomore year. Now, we are seniors and going our separate ways. sniff sniff. makes me sad thinking about it.
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 01:24 AM   #18
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

I cheered, I clapped, I giggled, and I wimpered a bit. (nasty Shelob!)
I went to see the all 3 movie marathon. Lots of audience reaction, no stupid talkers and cell-phone users. Big fun!

This post property of Entmoot.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 06:06 PM   #19
Diamond
Hobbit

The crowd I was with was somewhat... subdued. I laughed at plenty of things that I found funny and no one else in the theater did. I cried a lot, and I cheered plenty. Particularly when Sam was being heroic in Cirith Ungol and carrying Frodo up to the cracks of Mt. Doom, when Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli jumped off the ship, and when Aragorn was finally crowned king.

Liz

Last edited by Diamond : 12-29-2003 at 06:10 PM.
Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 07:56 PM   #20
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

the people in the theatre I went to cheered a lot. The first time they cheered was for Legolas, when he brought down the oliphaunt by himself. Everyone started shouting and clapping. I also remember people cheering when Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli jumped off the one of the corsairs, they laughed alot when Gimli walked into Frodo's room at the end and cheered when Legolas did the same, and when Frodo looks over from where he's laying in the bed and smiles at Sam, a bunch of guys behind me got up and shouted "RUDY!". And if it counts, some old guy swore when me and my friend got up in front of him to run to the bathroom.

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Dreran the Green is offline   Reply With Quote