Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-11-2003, 11:58 AM   #1
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

Gandalf vs. the Nazgul at Amon Sul

In a (now closed) thread on the movies forum, I made reference to Gandalf's battle with the Nine at Weathertop. Jerseydevil commented that the text is ambiguous on whether all Nine were actually present. Upon review of the relevent passages in The Council of Elrond, I find that he is correct that Gandalf does not explicitly say that he battles all Nine. However, my opinion is that immediately following statements referring to the folly of seeking Frodo in the Wild with all the Nine at his heels, and the fact that Gandalf drew off four leaving only five to attack the camp on 6 October, strongly implies that all Nine were present at Amon Sul on 3 October.

Thoughts?

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 02:04 PM   #2
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Will need to re-read relavent sections later tonight.

One possiblilty:

If some of the black riders found Gandalf @ Amon Sul they may have rounded up the others, thinking that Gandalf would travel with Frodo and the ring would be found nearby. By the time Gandalf left weathertop, all nine gathered around Amon Sul and were at his heels.

(just a thought)

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 03:48 PM   #3
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Quote:
'So I stayed [at Bree] that night, wondering much what had become of the Riders; for only of two had there been any news in Bree, it seemed. But in the night we heard more. Five at least came from the west and they threw down the gates and rode through Bree like a howling wind; and the Bree-folk are still shivering and expecting the end of the world. I got up before dawn and went after them.
'I do not know, but it seems clear to me that this is what happened. Their Captain remained in secret away south of Bree, while two rode ahead through the village and four more invaded the Shire. But when these were foiled at Bree and at Crickhollow, they returned to their Captain with tidings, and so left the Road unguarded for a while, except by their spies. The Captain then sent some eastward straight across country, and he himself with the rest rode along the Road in great wrath.
'I galloped to Weathertop like a gale, and I reached it before sundown on my second day from Bree - and they were there before me. [snip]
'At sunrise I escaped and fled towards the north. I could not hope to do more. It was impossible to find you, Frodo, in the wilderness, and it would have been folly to try with all the Nine at my heels'
(italics mine) This seems to me to indicate that "all the Nine" were present at the siege of Gandalf at Weathertop.

Last edited by Attalus : 12-11-2003 at 03:50 PM.
Attalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 06:10 PM   #4
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus
(italics mine) This seems to me to indicate that "all the Nine" were present at the siege of Gandalf at Weathertop.
I believe so too.

IIRC some people like to quote Gandalf to Denethor on the WK:
Quote:
But our trial of strength is yet to come.
and take this as proof that the WK was not present at Weathertop. I myself do not interpret his saying like that.
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 07:32 PM   #5
Attalus

Ah, another grenade to avoid. There should be an official sticky, perhaps called "Bones of Contention."
Old 12-11-2003, 07:48 PM   #6
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

Since I was the one that brought this arguement up. I will state my views.

Quote:
Originally posted by mithrand1r
One possiblilty:

If some of the black riders found Gandalf @ Amon Sul they may have rounded up the others, thinking that Gandalf would travel with Frodo and the ring would be found nearby. By the time Gandalf left weathertop, all nine gathered around Amon Sul and were at his heels.
This is what I am thinking. I have always thought that possibly afterward they all tried to follow Gandalf. I can't see all of them going after Gandalf on Weathertop - since he didn't have the Ring and it would be too easy for it to have slipped past them in the night while they were battling. I feel some of them must have stayed to watch the road and then at daylight - went to follow Gandalf.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 12:07 AM   #7
Attalus

I really don't feel that more than one or two of them had that much will. That would be the Witch-King and Khamul.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:10 AM   #8
Attalus

That would be Khamûl, the Terror of the East.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:31 PM   #9
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

The impression I got of the matter was this: That gandalf fought the assembled nine, and escaped, and that only half of them followed him while the rest stayed and watched Amon Sul. These were the five that Frodo and co. were attacked by.

The other four lost Gandalf at some point, and broke off to stand guard over the last bridge. Glorfindel came and forced them away, so they fell back to the fords of rivendell, which was where they were when the company (pursued by the remaining five) came upon them.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:32 PM   #10
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus
thanks for the quote.

FOTR: The Council of Elrond
(p259 from 1 vol. book Printed by Houghton Mifflin Co.)

I agree with you and think the text would imply that Gandalf faced all nine at Amon Sul.

It seems that Gandalf could hold his own for a while against the nine.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Last edited by mithrand1r : 12-12-2003 at 09:35 PM.
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 01:06 AM   #11
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
The impression I got of the matter was this: That gandalf fought the assembled nine, and escaped, and that only half of them followed him while the rest stayed and watched Amon Sul. These were the five that Frodo and co. were attacked by.

The other four lost Gandalf at some point, and broke off to stand guard over the last bridge. Glorfindel came and forced them away, so they fell back to the fords of rivendell, which was where they were when the company (pursued by the remaining five) came upon them.
That's how I understand it as well, thanks for typing it for me
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 04:05 PM   #12
Attalus

Quote:
Originally posted by mithrand1r
thanks for the quote.

FOTR: The Council of Elrond
(p259 from 1 vol. book Printed by Houghton Mifflin Co.)

I agree with you and think the text would imply that Gandalf faced all nine at Amon Sul.

It seems that Gandalf could hold his own for a while against the nine.
LOL, you are welcome.