Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 10:27 PM   #1
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Varied and Imaginative Expressions of Displeasure

Black Breathalizer has voiced what I think is a valid complaint against "posters who tell us at least ten bajillion times a day that Jackson is 'a hack who only gave us a mindless action flick.'" He says to those of us who dislike his precious films that "I don't mind opposing views but PLEEEEEEEEEASE give us some variety!"

Therefore, I dedicate this thread to coming up with new and inventive ways for us to say just what we really think about those miserable excuses for Tolkien films that PJ has so helpfully provided us. Don't just Bash Jackson- Do it In Style!

(Note: If you happen to be a fan of the films, and do not have enough of a sense of humor to deal with this, please at least have the decency not to bother posting in this thread. We purists don't need your defensive claptrap ruining our fun.)

Last edited by Wayfarer : 12-04-2003 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:29 PM   #2
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Peter Jackson is a hack who only gave us a mindless action flick.

Peter Jackson's films were about as faithful to Lord of the Rings as Jesus Christ, Superstar was to the Christian gospel.

Peter Jackson is a filmmaker that has been successful only in his unmitigated mediocrity.

The dazzling heights of Jackson's promises when he begin making the films has been equaled, to date, only by his spectacular to do what he said he was going to do.

As Treebeard would say: that evileyed blackhanded bowlegged flinthearted clawfingered foulbellied bloodthirsty... that /vermin/ of an orc.

The fury which Jackson's poor treatment of the subject matter ignites within me burns with the fury of a thousand dying suns going supernova. The dead, sinking weight I feel in the pit of my stomach every time I watch the films is analagous to the superdense heavier-than-lead elements that would be forged in such a reaction.

Last edited by Wayfarer : 12-04-2003 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:46 PM   #3
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I have to think about this - because I have had so many complaints, contrary to what BB thinks, I can't remember all the phrases and comments I have used.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-04-2003, 11:12 PM   #4
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

To be sure, JD, to be sure. :P

To say that Peter Jackson has not kept entirely true to the books in no way does him justice. No, quite on the contrary- He brutalized, tortured, and raped the source material, then eviscerated it and then dumped the remains , still breathing, into a shallow, unmarked grave.

Ah, now that's vitriol at it's best. ]; )

In point of fact, the corruption which Jackson has wrought upon Tolkien's masterwork is only slightly less evil than that which Melkor and Sauron wrought upon those poor children of Eru who were to become Orcs. The latter did so out of a selfish desire to dominate and control other lives- the former, out of a equally selfish desire to take the greatess and beauty of an already existing work and twist it to his own gain.

Last edited by Wayfarer : 12-04-2003 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:23 PM   #5
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
...selfish desire to take the greatess and beauty of an already existing work and twist it to his own gain.
This describes jackson's view of the books and their relationship with the movies PERFECTLY. He tried to convince us that he was going to be bringing a movie to the screen that would stay true to the books. Instead he gave us action movies (as it was even described on Primetime just now) and Aragorn RUNNING from his heritage. he gave us Arwen xen-elf. He gave us Merry and Pippin as comic relief, not to mention dwarf tossing jokes.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-05-2003, 12:38 AM   #6
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Peter Jackson has claimed that he was making a film for those who were already fans of Tolkien. Having seen that this has not been the case so far in the first two films, if the third does not make up for them and more, I intend to make him eat his words. No, I am not going to bother trying to prove him wrong- what he has done speaks for itself. Rather, I have engraved his words into these shards of hot glass here, and I intend to force-feed them to him.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:52 AM   #7
Ruinel
Banned

hmmmm... *thinking* ... can I call Jackson a crack whore here?
Old 12-05-2003, 04:33 AM   #8
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Peter Jackson's films were about as faithful to Lord of the Rings as Jesus Christ, Superstar was to the Christian gospel.

I'd love to add a few, but sadly, time is too dear. Carry on!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 12-05-2003, 10:48 AM   #9
squinteyedsoutherner
Elven Warrior

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is the best quote I've read in here in a while - Well done!
Old 12-06-2003, 02:12 PM   #10
Ruinel
Banned

My opprobrium of Jackson...

To keep in the spirit of this thread, I will refrain from using inappropriate jibes at either Jackson or his beloved worshippers who follow him blind. (Though, for those who really know me... you know how truely insurmountable that might be.)

My first and primary complaint is with Jackson's continuous endeavor to dupe the loyal fans of JRRT. From the first announcement he made, claiming to pitch the idea as a "movie for the fans" to the release of the last bastardized interpretation of JRRT's RotK, he as lied through his proverbial teeth. To give him the benefit of the doubt, if his intent was ever to stay true to JRRT's stories, he failed miserably. Which only proves indubitably his inadequacy for the task.

... more later... my pizza's done.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:14 PM   #11
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
... Rather, I have engraved his words into these shards of hot glass here, and I intend to force-feed them to him.
cool... can I watch?
Old 12-06-2003, 03:26 PM   #12
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

I think PJ's version of LOTR can be summed as follows:

It is similar to a food that starts off sweet in the mouth, but leaves you with a bitter aftertaste.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
Old 12-06-2003, 03:44 PM   #13
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Okay, under the current circumstances with the new rules being applied and enforced at this time, I find this thread to be in violation of the new rules, and it can only serve to exacerbate the situation that I am attempting to remedy.

Closing.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Closed Thread