Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-04-2003, 09:58 PM   #1
Tolman Muggworts
Hobbit

Where to get icons?

As you can see, I do not currently have an icon and I would like recommendations to websites that have icons. (The kind that go under your name and information.)
Old 12-04-2003, 10:11 PM   #2
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

I've just found images I like and then I resize them using photoshop
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 11:51 PM   #3
Ruinel
Banned

errrr... icons? Do you mean... avatars?

If you mean avatars, then find a pic you like and you can use any program that will resize it. MS Paint will even do. You just need to make sure the size is 60 x 60 pixels... or something.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 12:11 AM   #4
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
errrr... icons? Do you mean... avatars?

If you mean avatars, then find a pic you like and you can use any program that will resize it. MS Paint will even do. You just need to make sure the size is 60 x 60 pixels... or something.
Copycat
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 12-05-2003, 12:14 AM   #5
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
Copycat
Well, I think Paint comes as an app on your OS if you've got Win9X, not sure about the NT versions. And Photoshop is expensive, isn't it?
Old 12-05-2003, 12:17 AM   #6
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Well, I think Paint comes as an app on your OS if you've got Win9X, not sure about the NT versions. And Photoshop is expensive, isn't it?
Not expensive when you know where to download it for free

--Linaewen
Old 12-05-2003, 12:19 AM   #7
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Not expensive when you know where to download it for free
You better pm that to me Or you can post it here if you like.
Old 12-05-2003, 03:53 AM   #8
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

If you want icons, you might try a Catholic or Orthodox church.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 02:32 PM   #9
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

*groan*....

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 02:36 PM   #10
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
If you want icons, you might try a Catholic or Orthodox church.
*smacks palm of hand to forehead*
Old 12-05-2003, 06:07 PM   #11
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

badassbuddy.com has the ones with the little faceless people.

"Most people never been to Hell," Jacob said.

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"
Ornelírë Mistë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 06:10 PM   #12
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
*groan*....

Quote:
*smacks palm of hand to forehead*
I know, I know; I rule.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 06:42 PM   #13
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
You better pm that to me Or you can post it here if you like.
I will upload it to an FTP this weekend and send you a link for it

--Linaewen
Old 12-05-2003, 07:55 PM   #14
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
I will upload it to an FTP this weekend and send you a link for it
file transfer protocol... ok. If you could use TFTP that would be quicker.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:20 PM   #15
Goldberry1
Elven Warrior

just try a search... and maybe narrow it down with a specific type (i.e. LOTR, a band, etc.) and a lot of times if you go to official website of say, a band or something like that, they will have different avatars you can use.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:12 PM   #16
Tolman Muggworts
Hobbit

Avatars! Avatars! Right, well any specific sites that have them for free?
Old 12-09-2003, 09:27 PM   #17
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Well I also find pics I like and make my own avatars out of them by combining things or changing them. Like this one - my USA and Twin Towers was made with two different pics combined.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:43 PM   #18
Tolman Muggworts
Hobbit

So, run it past me again. How do you change a picture into an avatar?
Oh, and I'm not a computer wiz so in plain English if you don't mind.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:51 PM   #19
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Tolman Muggworts
So, run it past me again. How do you change a picture into an avatar?
Oh, and I'm not a computer wiz so in plain English if you don't mind.
Well if you have a pic you are interested in turning into an avatar - you can e-mail it to me. Or if you found it on the web - just send me the link for it.

You need a paint program and you basically have to reduce or cut it down to 60x60 pixels in size. If it's a large pic - you won't be able to reduce it down without losing a lot of detail and possibly not even be able to see the pic.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 10:04 PM   #20
Tolman Muggworts
Hobbit

I think it is pretty much a lost cause because I can't receive pictures via E-mail and my computer doesn't have paint. I'll just have to look on websites with avatars to download.