Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 09:43 PM   #1
gdl96
the greg the admin

COOL People THread

And by COOL, I mean those of you who LIKE what Jackson has done with the movies and are greatly looking forward to ROTK.

In this sense, I am way COOL. Who else is COOL?

Maybe it's because I don't have as much of an emotional attatchment to the books. I saw FOTR when I was almost finished with the book, and I finished the other two books well before TTT came out. So I can kind of see where purists are coming from who have read the book many times over many years.

But seriously, lighten up. They're just movies. And damn good ones at that. And there are a few changes I didn't care for (warg battle and aragorn's death) but that is not enough to ruin the other 6+ hours for me. And I get annoyed when people go around bitching about how it isn't faithful and crap. So what? It's PJ's movie, not yours. I really don't think any one of you little whiners can do a better job than him.

But this thread is for COOL people only.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:52 PM   #2
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Guess I'm uncool, bro, but everyone has a right to an opinion.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:52 PM   #3
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by gdl96
And by COOL, I mean those of you who LIKE what Jackson has done with the movies and are greatly looking forward to ROTK.

In this sense, I am way COOL. Who else is COOL?
I'm cool and extremely intelligent because I'm able to see through jackson's hype and propaganda. The JLA - Jackson Lovers Anonymous meeting is in the next thread though. It will cure you of your problem of erroneously thinking you are cool.
Quote:

Maybe it's because I don't have as much of an emotional attatchment to the books. I saw FOTR when I was almost finished with the book, and I finished the other two books well before TTT came out. So I can kind of see where purists are coming from who have read the book many times over many years.
Could be. You were obvioulsy never a fan then.
Quote:

But seriously, lighten up. They're just movies. And damn good ones at that. And there are a few changes I didn't care for (warg battle and aragorn's death) but that is not enough to ruin the other 6+ hours for me. And I get annoyed when people go around bitching about how it isn't faithful and crap. So what? It's PJ's movie, not yours. I really don't think any one of you little whiners can do a better job than him.
I don't really care if no one could do a better job of him though. I think that Jackson however did a crappy job. The movies should have been far more intelligent instead of the simplistic action films they are. If it wasn't for the name - they wouldn't be getting as much attention as they do.

By the way - I like the flame from an Admin.
Quote:
you little whiners
Quote:

But this thread is for COOL people only.
As I said - I'm cool.

But I suggest you get over yourself. Just because you like the films - doesn't mean they are good films. After Star Wars - the Star Wars movies went down hill. I'm not going to defend the hack of Lucas either - just because a bunch of people like them.

You might consider yourself cool - but it takes absolutely no brains to watch the movies. Any brainless idiot can watch the movies and enjoy them.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 12-04-2003 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:05 PM   #4
gdl96
the greg the admin

I am so cool.

But maybe I could have layed off the flaming. Sorry. Although it wasn't really directed at anyone in particular. Just at a group of people. Kinda like racism, except with LOTR fans, and not with races.

I am uber cool.

Old 12-04-2003, 10:08 PM   #5
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

i wouldnt say im cool but i like his movies im sure i would have enjoyed the books more had i read them before i saw the movie but since i have seen the movie first the books arent that good
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:16 PM   #6
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

whoohooo...Par-tay Time!!!

Where's the keg and who's got the remote? It's time to watch some LOTR, baby!!!
Old 12-04-2003, 10:20 PM   #7
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer

Go read the books already.

greg - didn't think the flame was directed at anyone in particular. But you, as admin, should know that flaming is not allowed. Oh and I do NOT like racism.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 12-04-2003 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:39 PM   #8
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

Quote:

i dont have the keg but i sure as hell have the doobies
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
Old 12-05-2003, 02:01 PM   #9
Katie of the Golden Wood
Enting

Yay! Thanks for starting this gdl96. (You're doubly cool too...because you're from Jersey )

I've read the books seven times, several of them before I ever knew a movie was going to be made. I LOVE the movies. I think people just say they hate the movies because they think it makes them a better fan of the books.

Katie
Old 12-05-2003, 03:43 PM   #10
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i've read the books more times than i care to count... along with just about every other tolkien-related book... i can't think of another author i enjoy more

i really enjoyed the first two movies and will probably enjoy the last one... i try to see it as a movie, not a movie of a book... almost all book adaptations to the screen that most consider classics vary greatly from the book (The Shining, Lawrence of Arabia, To Kill a Mockingbird)... that is part of what makes them great movies

i won't go so far as to say LoTR ranks among those classics, but it's extremely good, especially for a fantasy movie

i agree with the original poster, lighten up and try to see past the "but it's not like the book" whine
Old 12-05-2003, 03:55 PM   #11
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Who burned the hole in the sofa with their pipeweed ashes??!?!?! And who left all these damn lembas crumbs on the floor?!?!?!

Hey, guys, it's okay to have a cool people party but let's TRY not to totally trash gdl96's place here, okay?

Is jerseydevil still here? He left? How come? Oh, don't tell me, let me guess. We just got to the flight to the ford scene in FOTR, right?
Old 12-05-2003, 03:58 PM   #12
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Strider

Quote:

Is jerseydevil still here? He left? How come? Oh, don't tell me, let me guess. We just got to the flight to the ford scene in FOTR, right?
(to paraphrase "The Virginian")

Hey BB, SMILIE when you say that...
Old 12-05-2003, 04:10 PM   #13
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

Re: COOL People THread

Quote:
It's PJ's movie, not yours.
But it is Tolkien's story, characters, and world, not PJ's.
Crist by Cynewulf (lines 104-5)
Old 12-05-2003, 04:21 PM   #14
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Katie of the Golden Wood
I've read the books seven times, several of them before I ever knew a movie was going to be made. I LOVE the movies. I think people just say they hate the movies because they think it makes them a better fan of the books.
That has nothign to do with it. I don't like the newest star wars that much either. I give those movies a C too. Terminator 3 - C. A Beautiful Mind an A. The movies just weren't that great. They had great scenary, great music and they had great acting (for the most part). The director and writers whoever gave us Arwen and the Flight to the Ford, Theoden Exorcism. They gave us the dwarf jokes and the town idiots Pippin and Merry. They gave us a Treebeard who didn't know what was happening in his own forest - a forest TOLKIEN made very clear he would know everything that is going on in.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-05-2003, 06:51 PM   #15
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Katie of the Golden Wood
With all due respect, Katie, that is bull pucky, and I cannot see why anyone would draw that conclusion, except out of some form of condecension. I dislike any poor adaptation of a book; my favourite Dracula movie is Bram Stoker's Dracula. Of the half-dozen or so that I've seen, that is theclosest to the movies. They needlessly gorified and oversexed that adaptation, but the story is still the closest. I just grimace through the gore, and fast-forward past the sex. I didn't like the new Count of Monte Cristo; IMO, the ending ruined the whole movie, because it destroyed any real or serious ramifications of Edmond's path of vengeance. My dislike of the movie has NOTHING to do with "wanting to be cool". I have felt since before TTT came out that they were poor adaptations; however, I didn't mind the movies, and enjoyed them as separate from the books. I have since been subjected to the most far-out comments constantly, stating that the movies were the absolute best anyone could have done, and that they are better than the book; this shock treatment has virtually destroyed my ability to separate the two. To me, Tolkien's Lord of the Rings is a supreme story; and I mean that. I believe that it may very well be the best story ever written. Heck, me being a superstitious fool, I go so far as to believe that Tolkien's work was divinely inspired to a degree. Also, Tolkien is my personal role model. To see such utter disrespect for his work, and often going directly against his expressly stated wishes if it were to be made into a movie, really puts me out. It does NOT have to do thinking that makes me a better fan.

Okay, rant over; since all who refuse to bow before Jackson have been officially labelled uncool and "drab and awful" by an admin, I will let you all continue unbothered by a jerk such as myself, who only pretends to dislike the movies because I think it makes me cool.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 12-05-2003, 07:14 PM   #16
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
With all due respect, Katie, that is bull pucky, and I cannot see why anyone would draw that conclusion, except out of some form of condecension. I dislike any poor adaptation of a book; my favourite Dracula movie is Bram Stoker's Dracula. Of the half-dozen or so that I've seen, that is theclosest to the movies. They needlessly gorified and oversexed that adaptation, but the story is still the closest. I just grimace through the gore, and fast-forward past the sex.
I didn't like Bram Stoker's Dracula. I didn't think it matched the book and I thought Dracula looked terrible. I have read Dracula several times and I still think that Bela Lugosi's version was the best. There were sometings removed and not everything was accurate - but the majority of it it straight from the book.
Quote:

My dislike of the movie has NOTHING to do with "wanting to be cool". I have felt since before TTT came out that they were poor adaptations; however, I didn't mind the movies, and enjoyed them as separate from the books. I have since been subjected to the most far-out comments constantly, stating that the movies were the absolute best anyone could have done, and that they are better than the book; this shock treatment has virtually destroyed my ability to separate the two.
I have always disliked the movies -b ut at least they were palatable. But you brought up the points that the movie fans, and BB in particular, have been saying for the past year. This is why I am so pissed and frankly tired of it. people can blame me, but if you notice - the people complaining about my comments haven't been here for ages or else they are new.
Quote:

To me, Tolkien's Lord of the Rings is a supreme story; and I mean that. I believe that it may very well be the best story ever written. Heck, me being a superstitious fool, I go so far as to believe that Tolkien's work was divinely inspired to a degree. Also, Tolkien is my personal role model. To see such utter disrespect for his work, and often going directly against his expressly stated wishes if it were to be made into a movie, really puts me out. It does NOT have to do thinking that makes me a better fan.
Exactly - especially since jackson kept making those statements we all know are false now. He tried selling us a rolls royce and it ended up being a honda. Not all of us are happy with the bait and switch tactic.
Quote:

Okay, rant over; since all who refuse to bow before Jackson have been officially labelled uncool and "drab and awful" by an admin, I will let you all continue unbothered by a jerk such as myself, who only pretends to dislike the movies because I think it makes me cool.
You're not uncool - you're enlightened and not easily swayed by mass marketing gimics.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 12-05-2003 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:22 PM   #17
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

You know, who needs the movies? These threads are much more entertaining (and they also give you a chance to participate, to take an active part in the story - can't believe Jackson never thought of that).
Old 12-05-2003, 08:39 PM   #18
gdl96
the greg the admin

Once again I apologize for my flaming. I am an admin, and I should lead by example.

But I'm still so cool that I need a sweater. Brrrr
Old 12-05-2003, 08:44 PM   #19
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Once again I apologize for my flaming. I am an admin, and I should lead by example.

Okay Mr. Cool, why don't you show me some of those cool admin abilities and help me get this forum under control, lazy boy.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-05-2003, 08:44 PM   #20
jerseydevil

Quote:
Apology accepted - now don't let it happen again. Unless of course you are agreeing with me.

Quote:

That's not because you are "cool" - it's because we're in the process of getting 12 inches of snow.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Closed Thread