Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-04-2003, 08:13 PM   #1
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul LotR on Primetime on ABC at 10:00pm eastern

Just to let people know - behind the scenes look at Lord of the Rings will be on Primetime tonight. I am doing this to be nice. I don't need any snide comments from the Movie Morons.

It's on at 10:00pm eastern on ABC tongiht.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 08:55 PM   #2
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Movie Morons? I beg your pardon! This is your "nice"! I think you need a massage or something.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:11 PM   #3
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Movie Morons? I beg your pardon! This is your "nice"! I think you need a massage or something.
Yes - Movie Morons. I got tired of BB and others constantly saying "Purists" in a deragatory way. So the BB crowd is now known as the Movie Morons. The question is - are you a movie moron?

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-04-2003, 09:14 PM   #4
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Thanks for the heads up, jd. I don't watch the major networks at all, so I would have missed this. I might give it a shot.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 09:23 PM   #5
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
Thanks for the heads up, jd. I don't watch the major networks at all, so I would have missed this. I might give it a shot.
Just roll your eyes when Jackson starts going on with his propaganda lies. Just a heads up - these include "I made the movie as a fan for the fans", "you see, we needed to spice this up, there was just no other way of doing it", "we didn't particularly like this part, but there was no other choice", etc, etc.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-04-2003, 09:31 PM   #6
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

(covering face in shame)

How could I ever have shilled for this bozo?

Like a REAL fan of the books would ever find it necessary to re-write Tolkien....
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:23 PM   #7
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

People like bropous and jerseydevil spend hours here telling us all ad nauseum how bad these films are. But they'll be tuning in to the sneak preview on TV tonight and will be at the Midnight showing on December 17th. hmmmmm....

I smell closet LOTR movie fans!!!!
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 10:34 PM   #8
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
People like bropous and jerseydevil spend hours here telling us all ad nauseum how bad these films are. But they'll be tuning in to the sneak preview on TV tonight and will be at the Midnight showing on December 17th. hmmmmm....

How would we be able to talk intelligently on why we don't like the films or Jackson with out seeing them. I know you fiund that strange since you can go on and on about Lord of the Rings without having read the books. If I'm going to complain or praise something - I want to have an educated opinion. Unless some people in this thread.

By the way - Bropous used to be like you - but he saw the error of his ways and joined the enlightened side.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 12-04-2003 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:35 PM   #9
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Yes - Movie Morons. I got tired of BB and others constantly saying "Purists" in a deragatory way. So the BB crowd is now known as the Movie Morons. The question is - are you a movie moron?
I like the movies, I'm NOT a moron. I refuse to sink to a new low of name calling here. Rise above the crud.
I suspect you guys enjoy calling each other silly names.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:38 PM   #10
jerseydevil

Quote:
I like the movies, I'm NOT a moron. I refuse to sink to a new low of name calling here. Rise above the crud.
I suspect you guys enjoy calling each other silly names.
What the truth hurts Lizra? Just wait. I have something BIG planned.

Anyway - you're opinion is fine - it's the BB attitude and the baby BB's that are getting annoying.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 12-04-2003 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:53 PM   #11
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I haven't been on much lately...we have "baby BB's"? Oh boy!
Old 12-04-2003, 10:57 PM   #12
jerseydevil

Quote:
I haven't been on much lately...we have "baby BB's"? Oh boy!
Yes - there are little BB's running around now.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-04-2003, 11:41 PM   #13
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

Re: LotR on Primetime on ABC at 10:00pm eastern

Quote:
Just to let people know - behind the scenes look at Lord of the Rings will be on Primetime tonight. I am doing this to be nice. I don't need any snide comments from the Movie Morons.

It's on at 10:00pm eastern on ABC tongiht.

silly purist hes comin over to the semi dark side. now he knows about tv specials
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 12:00 AM   #14
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

What do you know, I didn't watch the ABC thing, nor will I see return of the King at the first midnight showing.

BB, wrong as usual.

I will be seeing Return of the King. I will still be very disgusted when I walk out of the theatre.

Too bad BB won't read the books so he could be at least as well-versed with the books as folks like jd are with the film.

What a limited, small-minded crowd-follower BB is. The masses bought it, it HAS to be good, right?

[snicker]

Last edited by bropous : 12-05-2003 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:01 AM   #15
jerseydevil

Re: Re: LotR on Primetime on ABC at 10:00pm eastern

Quote:
Originally posted by gimli7410
silly purist hes comin over to the semi dark side. now he knows about tv specials
Not quite. If a single special on Lord of the Rings would make me like the movies - don't you think I would been by now?

I like how Arwen and Aragorns love plays a far greater role in the story than Frodo - as is demonstrated by what was shown on primetime.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-05-2003, 12:05 AM   #16
jerseydevil

Quote:
What do you know, I didn't watch the ABC thing
YOu still have time - isn't it just going on your time now? I would recommend seeing it - just to see how much jackson put into the special effects and the prop - but screwed up on the story and directing.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-05-2003, 12:07 AM   #17
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Re: Re: Re: LotR on Primetime on ABC at 10:00pm eastern

Quote:
I like how Arwen and Aragorns love plays a far greater role in the story than Frodo - as is demonstrated by what was shown on primetime.
That's crap and you know it man. Besides, all reports of RotK so far have said the Hobbits roles are the biggest out of all characters...

On a side note, I enjoyed the special tonight. I still am a big fan of the movies and a big fan of the books. I do take offense to the way you guys deem those who enjoy the movies. I am just able to take aspects from each and like them, regardless of changes or whatnot. Hell my favorite book is RotK and I know there will be changes and ommissions, but I am sure in the end I will still like the movie...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen

Last edited by Dúnedain : 12-05-2003 at 12:08 AM.
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 12:17 AM   #18
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
That's crap and you know it man. Besides, all reports of RotK so far have said the Hobbits roles are the biggest out of all characters...
It isn't crap. All you have to do is watch TT and then see how the Fellowship switches to Aragorn and Arwen after the hobbits hook up with Aragorn. And just because ALL reports say this - does not make it so. All those sites that indicate that are pro-Jackson sites.
Quote:

On a side note, I enjoyed the special tonight. I still am a big fan of the movies and a big fan of the books. I do take offense to the way you guys deem those who enjoy the movies.
Well I take offense at the fact that because they're Lord of the Rings we're just expected to like them. I don't like many things - and I wouldn't like them if they were even in another movie. I think a lot of the stuff is hollywood cliches and cheesy crap.
Quote:

I am just able to take aspects from each and like them, regardless of changes or whatnot. Hell my favorite book is RotK and I know there will be changes and ommissions, but I am sure in the end I will still like the movie...
I could have liked them - if Jacksoon didn't screw them up. He made them into cheap Hollywood action films on a huge budget. The fact that MOST of the money went to WETA is just as I expected - especially since he OWN WETA. If he took as much care with the script - the movie truly could have been great. He changed way too much.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-05-2003, 12:35 AM   #19
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
(covering face in shame)

How could I ever have shilled for this bozo?

Like a REAL fan of the books would ever find it necessary to re-write Tolkien....
Don't sweat it bropous. It's easy to have been mistaken. PJ surrounded himself with top people in their fields, only to compensate for his lack of skill. You were deceived, that's all.
Quote:
Originally posted by PJ worshipping BB

Uh... I didn't watch it.

I plan on going to see RotK so I can gather as much ripe evidence to smash your silly little bubble with.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 12:52 AM   #20
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

and the war wages on :P

Quote:
I will be seeing Return of the King. I will still be very disgusted when I walk out of the theatre.
I'm sorry to see that you already have decided to dislike the movie. Then why are you going?

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote