Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-01-2003, 12:45 AM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Age differences in dating

What are your general thoughts here?

Do your perceptions changes with the sexes involved?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 02:06 PM   #2
Ruinel
Banned

I think that it depends. What ages are we talking about? IMO, if it's an adult over the age of 18 yrs and out of their parent's house they can date whomever they please. I think that if the two people have a lot in common, then they'll get along, regardless of age.

However, I think this goes both ways. I don't think that it makes a difference if it's the woman or the man that is older.

My opinion only goes for two people who are attracted to each and have things in common, not to gold diggers looking for a fast buck. And not old farts looking for young tarts as trophy wives. Just wanted to clarify that.

Last edited by Ruinel : 12-01-2003 at 02:59 PM.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 02:43 PM   #3
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

well personally I would never date a younger man! knowledge is power man! my husband is only 2 years older than me.
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 09:03 PM   #4
Ben
Retired Ent

I think that even before adulthood, age differences aren't too problematic.

My girlfriend is 15 and I'll be 18 this month, but we have a lot in common. Obviously in high school even small age differences tend to be more pronounced, but so far everything is great.

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 09:20 PM   #5
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

all you need is love. culture is the Great Oppressor. thats all Im gonna say about it.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 09:25 PM   #6
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

The way I see it is that once you reach the "college age" 18, then everything is fine. It's weird how like in High School if you date someone that is 4 years younger than you, it's weird, but if you do that in college, say someone 22 and someone 18, then it's ok. Personally, I've dated women that were almost 4 years younger than me (in college that is ), but I've also dated older women as well. Last year when I was 24, I was dating a 31 year old woman for a few months...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 10:09 PM   #7
gdl96
the greg the admin

Wow Ben, way to post!

Anyway, what does one have to say about a senior in high school with two freshmen admirers? One of my friends told to use the situation to finally get some action.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 11:06 PM   #8
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by bmilder
My girlfriend is 15 and I'll be 18 this month, but we have a lot in common. Obviously in high school even small age differences tend to be more pronounced, but so far everything is great.
On Dúnedain's note about the perception of age difference, just think about it Ben: when you're 73, she'll be 70. No big deal.

How mature are your admirers Greg? I had one who was borderline psycho and fortunately for me, as usually happens with that type, she moved on. Actually, to be honest, I think there's a 7th grader in my high school band who "admires" me.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 11:27 PM   #9
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

I think it depends, personally, I wouldn't want to date someone more than two years older than me, and definitely not someone more than two years younger. But If other people feel differently that's their choice, not mine. One of my distant cousins married someone older than her own father and is apparently fine with it. Though, that example is a little extreme, there was a 30 year age difference between them and her husband was 90 at the time they were married.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 11:38 PM   #10
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

dont go out with a froshie as a senior

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 12:09 PM   #11
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Willow Oran
I think it depends, personally, I wouldn't want to date someone more than two years older than me, and definitely not someone more than two years younger. But If other people feel differently that's their choice, not mine. One of my distant cousins married someone older than her own father and is apparently fine with it. Though, that example is a little extreme, there was a 30 year age difference between them and her husband was 90 at the time they were married.
Hey, you've got to admire both!!!

AFAIR, the bigest age gap I had was I was 21 and she was 16- that felt a little weird, especially as I could go into bars and she couldn't- high school dances and all.

We went to a friend's house across the border in the States for a weekend- she had to get a note from her Mom!- and the way the Customs guy looked at me, I certainly felt like a perv.

As a teacher, I've had high school girls come on to me- I've never been silly enough to see if it went past the point of flirtation- though the temptation...I think a sense of dignity helps.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 02:01 PM   #12
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by GrayMouser
...As a teacher, I've had high school girls come on to me- I've never been silly enough to see if it went past the point of flirtation- though the temptation...I think a sense of dignity helps.
ick
I'm glad to hear you haven't reciprocated the flirtation or gone past that. Especially since you are a teacher. eeewwww
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 07:46 PM   #13
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

I "dated" someone who was a lot youner than I was.

I mistook physical and mental maturity for emotional maturity.

I have dated older women to. I blew a great relation due to my immaturity.

Now, as being in my mid-30's I think the dating scene for me will be a lot easier because I am more aware of myself .

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Last edited by afro-elf : 12-02-2003 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:49 PM   #14
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Sorrydeleted post

'Dern Helm"

Last edited by afro-elf : 12-02-2003 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:14 PM   #15
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Originally posted by Ebony at Sf Fandom

I think it's wise that people be in the same 'place' in their lives. For example, if someone has grown children and gets involved with someone who has not yet begun a family, it could be just asking for trouble. I believe that when you have a relationship with someone, you should try to bring as few obstacles with you as possible. People should have as much in common as they can. I think this also applies to different cultures, religions, and values, and I speak particularly when entering a marriage. I believe that couples have a hard enough time getting over the differences they have without throwing extra ones into the pot. When people are young they think love will overcome all. But it doesn't. It gets stale, and the man that used to set your blood boiling just by looking your way suddenly can seem like an obnoxious pain in the tushy, or at the very least, you find you're suddenly living with your brother. So you and your 'brother' had best have as much in common as possible. JHMO.

Interesting post. Though I do know a few people who have not succombed to

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It gets stale, and the man that used to set your blood boiling just by looking your way suddenly can seem like an obnoxious pain in the tushy, or at the very least, you find you're suddenly living with your brother.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe it is because they have followed the the advice in the former part her post.

'Dern Helm"

Old 12-03-2003, 05:05 PM   #16
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Ages

Well said Afro-Elf. Common ground is important, and sustained intimacy is needed as well to keep the relationship from becoming 'stale' and living with your brother/sister.

I dated and married a 20 year old woman when I was 20. She was 18 days younger than me. It ended in disaster though a great son came of it. I then dated and married a 26 year old woman when I was 32, and it has been good though communication and intimacy has been declining over the years.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:27 PM   #17
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Thanks for the insight Snowdog.

'Dern Helm"

Old 12-03-2003, 11:12 PM   #18
johnnyrod
Elven Warrior

Don't be so judgemental about peoples' ages, it's not the end of the world or anything (see Snowdog after all). I think most people want someone younger, and if it all goes a bit quiet after a while, well, I think most people would say that this happens. Some people would see age difference as an obstacle, but then are they really seeing past the surface?
Old 12-04-2003, 12:00 AM   #19
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Age difference doesn't matter after you are an adult because you are both (supposedly) mature , CERTAINLY more mature than high school students.

And you all have a high school level education and after college, a college education.

So there isnt that smarter because older and learned more factor AS MUCH as in Middle and High School.

There is a bigger difference between grades than you would think besides about a year (give or take several months) in age difference. There is also a HUGE difference in maturity - emotional mostly.

Middle School relationships are different than high school relationships. Freshmen girls have the mentality of a middle schooler.

Freshmen are DEFINITELY less mature in many areas and less knowledgeable than upper classmen - sophomores to some degree too.

Hope you understand that

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 01:19 AM   #20
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I find it interesting that younger women dating older men is generally accepted up to a point (not like Anna Nicole Smith and J. Howard Marshall III -- eww). However, younger men going after older women is generally frowned upon (see Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore). At least, that's my general observation -- it's better for a woman to date an older man than for a man to date an older woman. I'm not talking about age differences of 1, 2, or even 5 or 6 years. I mean like 10+ year age differences.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote