Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-29-2003, 08:31 AM   #1
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Ice Village, Chapter Three: Mariel

Well where it is! Chapter three of Ice Village. I hope you guys enjoy it at least a little .

Chapter Three

A faint shuffling sound was the first thing to break through the fog in Danlor’s mind, a sound of soft shoes against a stone floor. The second thing that broke through was the sound of singing, quiet singing as one might do if they were lonely and trying to fill silence.

It was an effort, but Danlor slowly forced his eyes open. More darkness. Bit by bit the darkness faded away and wooden beams swam into view, solidifying into roof rafters after several blinks. He seemed to be lying down on a soft bed, and he felt bandages wrapped around his arms and chest. The singing stopped suddenly as Danlor brought a hand up to run his eyes, which burned faintly.

“Oh good! I’m glad you’re finally awake! I was afraid maybe those men were too much for you.” a soothing voice broke through the last of the fog in Danlor’s mind as a short woman appeared beside him. Her emerald eyes sparkled with relief; and although her loosely held brown hair was mussed, she appeared calm. The dress she wore was a plain brown color and her belt was made from some kind of animal skin, a small pouch hanging on it with several plant stems sticking out its opening.

“I’m Mariel, Mariel De’vanon, the Healer of this village. You were just in time; I think they were going to finally kill me… I certainly gave them enough trouble for them to.” Mariel nodded in self-satisfaction and smoothed her skirts, which Danlor noticed were as mussed as her hair, and even a little dirty looking. In his mind he seemed to hazily recollect that she had been wearing that same dress when he entered the town.

“I’m Danlor Avindar.” Danlor half-groaned, pushing himself cautiously up on his elbows. His whole chest was covered in one large bandage and parts of his right and left arms were wrapped in more of the same, but he could sense that his wounds were already mostly healed, which seemed strange as they still felt fresh.

“A Psionic, I know. You said that bit before you killed those five Chaos Wielders.” Mariel stated with common sense, snapping out of her self-appreciation to eye Danlor up and down in a professional manner, gauging how much strength he had.

“I’ll go make some soup, you must be starving.” Mariel said, switching topics seamlessly as she saw the dark look that passed over Danlor’s face when she mentioned Chaos Wielders.

“Yes thank you, I am rather hungry…” Danlor said absently, trying to draw up the memory of what exactly he had done. The last thing he remembered was charging into the Wielders in front of him and dodging the ones trying to hit him with Chaos Fire. Then… Nothing.

“What… What happened?” Danlor asked carefully, fussing with the pillow that had been under his head and propping it against the bed’s headboard so he could sit up. He was in a smallish building it seemed, half sickroom and half two-room house.

“Oh, well they were talking about their ‘job’ again and suddenly there was a big commotion and you showed up. I guess you startled them by showing up, although come to think of it… that seems strange since they were laughing that they would capture a Psionic or something like that... At any rate, you killed four and a half of them and I shot the one and a half who were left.” Mariel said quickly, blushing lightly as she got to the part about shooting the ‘one and a half’. She was sprinkling small handfuls of various spices into a bubbling pot of stew that hung over a merrily crackling flame. Danlor’s mouth began watering as he suddenly caught a whiff of the aromatic soup.

“One and a half?” Danlor asked, half his mind on the wonderful smells that were still drifting over towards him from the pot.

“Well one was still… wiggling around so to speak. Anyways, I shot him with Master Eldarin’s longbow, the one that always hangs over his door… and… and…” Mariel’s voice caught in her throat and as Danlor turned to look at her, she quickly ran a hand across her face and sniffled quietly, unable to finish her sentence.

Last edited by Tessar : 11-29-2003 at 08:35 AM.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 08:34 AM   #2
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

“They're scum you know. You shouldn’t feel any guilt about killing one of them, they’re less than human beings.” Danlor said quietly, wishing he could go and comfort her, but the warning twinges of pain preventing him from doing more than sitting up straighter.

“Oh I’m not sorry about that. I was glad to.” Mariel looked Danlor in the eye, tears trickling down her face as she spoke. “I shot each of them several times to make sure they were as dead as possible. They killed my entire village, desecrated the grave yards, took all my things and destroyed anything I loved… I only wish I could think of a word that would describe them. They must be the most evil… creatures ever created!”

“I’m sorry…” Danlor’s voice was soft, and he was genuinely sorry. If he could have made it there faster… But no, it had been planned out perfectly; whoever came to the rescue would be too late and could be used as a messenger. If it had been anyone other than Danlor, that was.

“Soup’s ready.” Mariel sniffed, trying to put a smile on as she began ladling the steaming soup into two bowls of sturdy pottery. She briskly brought one of the bowls to Danlor and took the other along so she could sit on the small stool that was beside his bed.

“It’s hot!” Danlor exclaimed, dropping his spoon in the bowl and quickly gulping from a cup of water Mariel handed him. She laughed a little and her tears stopped as Danlor made a funny face and peered at the soup.

“It’s wonderful soup, very meaty. A tad on the spicy side though.” Danlor panted comically and finished off the cooling water in his cup. “Not as spicy as the soup the cook at the Psionic Academy made though. It was always interesting to find out who the soup was used as a reward for and who was punished with it.” Danlor added in an overly thoughtful tone, tapping his chin and nodding slightly.

“Soup as a punishment?” Mariel smiled wider, forgetting her worries for the moment.

“Oh yes, Cookie, that’s what we called the cook, loved to make plain food and then dump something like half a bag of spice into the pot or pan. Some people just couldn’t stand it; others loved it and ate serving after serving of it. I’m afraid I was one of those gulpers.” Danlor laughed and patted his stomach, it wasn’t as funny as it would have been if Danlor had actually had some fat on his lean frame, but the effect was still amusing. It also might have been more amusing if Danlor had remembered to pretend he thought the soup was hot, but Mariel didn’t notice the fact that his eating went on without taking another sip from the water she refilled his cup with.

Mariel’s eyes sparkled and she leaned back in her chair, laughing at Danlor’s animated explanation. Later on Danlor could find out what the Wielders had wanted, and get both Mariel and himself out of the town on the way to Camin. The Psionic Council needed to know what had happened, even if it was simply a random act of cruelty.

Danlor suddenly came to the realization that he didn’t feel the shadow anymore. Keeping only a small part of his mind on an amusing tale he had begun about the food fight where he tried to throw twenty boiled eggs simultaneously at multiple targets, Danlor reached out and searched as best he could for the shadow. Only faint traces of it were to be found, and those were fading away swiftly. The shadow must have had something to do with Chaos, and now that it’s makers were gone, it was dieing too. It was a small relief that he wouldn’t have to deal with it again.

There was little doubt why the Chaos Wielders must have kept this woman alive. She radiated a feeling of healing and kindness very strongly. To Danlor’s keen senses her aura was strong, but even an unobservant person would have noted a certain feeling of… rightness to her. The kindest people always made the best Chaos Wielders… once they were broken that is.

’Next time, Chaos,’ Danlor thought grimly inside as he kept a comical appearance on the outside, ’Next time we meet I’ll make sure you get a thorough repayment for this, and I’m sure I wont be alone.’
Old 11-29-2003, 10:04 AM   #3
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

Oooi Nice Tessar. I really enjoy your use of adjectives and the flow you now have in your writing. Nicely done!

So there is still one sain human in this town not being killed, interesting I wonder if she'll ever turn to evil

Ah! Again I find that I am wanting more... ending a chapter with an open question to the reader is just plain evil Tessar! Just plain evil!!!!

Old 11-29-2003, 10:07 AM   #4
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

*blinks innocently* Me? Evil?

<-- take a look at that sweet face! Do I look evil to you!?

Anyways, thanks for the review. *cackle*

Of course now I have to sit down and actually write again because I realized that my fourth chapter isn't what the story needs. Oh well. Back to the drawing board.
Old 11-29-2003, 10:10 AM   #5
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

Even smiling faces can hide the hidden, evil truth. A strong facade you have forged, Tess, though I see through it as easily as through my bedroom window. You can not fool me... or something... err...
Old 11-29-2003, 10:13 AM   #6
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Well then, WWDD?

What would Danlor do?

Other than slay me of course.

On second though, WWDND.

What would Danlor NOT do.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:51 PM   #7
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

WWDD:

I'd guess, because of his suspicions of the cause of Mariel's survival, he'd be constantly surveying her in a way. Always watching her mood changes and such... trying to always draw her towards a good mood. But to laugh in times that peril is upon her, wouldn't that be an escape of our world? Could it not very well result in a turn to evil? Hard to say is it not?

As Danlor can feel this "shadow", and when evil is near, I'd guess he'll always be overprotective of Mariel when he gets that feeling... he can not risk to let the shadow be alone with Mariel I'd say...

WWNDND:

He would not kill Mariel, even if she turns into an evil thingie. But then again, that may be a pinacle Danlor would have to climb beyond to get rid of the evil ones and for all.

Danlor would not leave Mariel eather, I'd say. Hmm...

You have many ways to go here Tessar... scary
Old 11-29-2003, 03:41 PM   #8
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tessar
*blinks innocently* Me? Evil?
<-- take a look at that sweet face! Do I look evil to you!?
Is that a rethorical question or do I have to dignify that with an answer? In that case: Yes. Yes, you do.

This chapter does answer my question about why she was still alive. Though remembering your laughing at my comment on the previous chapter, I can't help but being a little suspicous about what you have in store yet for this Mariel. At this you'll probably cackle most evilly again
Old 11-30-2003, 12:41 AM   #9
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
At this you'll probably cackle most evilly again
Don't mind if I do.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Thanks, that felt good.

Ahhhhh la la la, the wheels of the plot go round 'n round, round 'n round, round 'n round...
Old 11-30-2003, 08:18 AM   #10
Earniel

Now I know why they say writing can be entertaining. For the author that is.

Tessar, if we ever meet in real life, I'm going to whack you for this. Until now, I'll be satisfied with a virtual whacking.

*whacks Tessar*
Old 11-30-2003, 07:47 PM   #11
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

All right, I'm finished reading this one, Tessar. Waiting for the next.

I found it interesting how at the end you got into Danlor's head and showed us how in this case his exterior actions and his interior thoughts can be doing completely different things. He was busy physically entertaining the girl (haven't memorized her name yet), but at the same time he was seeking out his opponent and considering the situation. I did like that ending bit a lot.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 04:47 PM   #12
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Okay I have just seen RotK.

You will be seeing a new chapter shortly.

And many more after that.

Thank you, that is all .
Old 12-17-2003, 05:09 PM   #13
Earniel

Well then, let them come. I'm ready for it.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:00 PM   #14
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

Ah, so you were just waiting to see that movie afore ye posted next one ey? You better be up for it Tess

Haha No, the movie was good, but not "that" good for those who remember the books. As a movie it is great... must admit I could hardly hold the tears back at times
Old 01-20-2004, 10:44 AM   #15
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Io! What's this?! No Ice Village on the first page?!

And, as a chill ran down his spine, Tessar knew in his heart what he must do. He must go forth, write another chapter of the story, and though hell might bar the way, provide the rest of his story to the people who so patiently waited while he gave his empty word that there would be more.

I realized last night that I needed to make a choice between my normal writing and the mud building writing, so I'm gona be dropping the mud writing. This means I WILL have time to write fun stuff.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:44 PM   #16
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

And, as stupidity entered his head, Lief knew in his heart what he did not know.

What's "Mud Building Writing"?

Out of curiosity, how's your plot coming?

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 01-24-2004 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-24-2004, 06:01 PM   #17
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

This is a sample of what Mud Building is. It's pretty limited stuff, but I'm glad that I did it for a while as it helped me with describing things .

Quote:
Opening like the mouth of some great fanged beast, this dark tunnel runs northward, deep into the mountain rock. Muffled echoes of a waterfall sound within the entrance of the cave like some giant’s drum, booming loudly and calling hollowly to the spirit of the cave. Cold and clear, the water ripples gently, making a sloshing sound against the rocks at any disturbance to its surface. Just below the watery mantle, pale white blossoms the size of a man’s hand wave gently in unseen currents, tiny fish playing beneath their leaves and petals.

The waterfall’s roar slowly fades away as the stone cave progresses northward, deep into the cold and hard rock. Ancient as the very mountain it invades, this tunnel begins to wander off into several different directions a little farther north; a tricky and treacherous passage. Glowing a faint green, moss grows in one place only on the wall here, too strangely placed for it to be natural growth. Closer inspection shows that the moss is growing inside words that have been etched on the cave’s surface. ‘To make a man with towering mass,’ it reads.

Sloping gently upward, the rocky floor rises above the water’s chill touch, forming a dry island that continues on north, east, and west into the cave. The walls close in, and the ceiling drops suddenly, hardly high enough to allow safe passage while still standing straight. Small grooves in the floor have collected water over time, and little delicate water plants grow in them. The air is still and heavy here, as if it hasn’t been breathed in many an age.

Branching off the main tunnel which lays east of here, the cave enters into a large, domed area. Glimmering in even the faintest of light, great pillars of rock rise from the ground and fall from the ceiling high above; stalactites and stalagmites fusing together with gold and semiprecious gems peeking out from their berths in the rock. The ground is rough and uneven, dipping and rising so suddenly that it would be difficult to move with any great speed. In the eastern wall there appears to be a small tunnel, which leads into a little cave.

Small and dark, this part of the cave has lain forgotten for a very long time. The air is musty and cold, rank with the smell of age untold. The thick rock walls muffle any sound, too close to make an echo of anything. Dripping silently from the roof, water droplets fall to the floor and carve slick rivulets. Raised slightly from the ground, a small area of the rock floor protrudes in a roughly circular shape, little pools of the water forming in the cracks that line its surface.

And as for the plot, the plot hasn't been touched due to the stupid mud building. *hits himself*

But that's okay, this gave me more ideas which will work their little ways in.

Last edited by Tessar : 01-24-2004 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-24-2004, 06:19 PM   #18
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

You're smart to construct mud buildings. My "mud building" was Shore Conquest, which I posted here. Obviously, I don't do much pure description writing. Though Part 4 of The Uirlon Cord (my book), I think, does include more description than the other three parts. I'm not practicing, but I read in a creative writing book that it's smart to practice description in this way. My main practice, I suppose, is in the writing of my book, because I'm too lazy to write many short stories.

The last two short stories I wrote were done purely to vent my feelings, when I was particularly frustrated about some things and wanted to show how wrong they were.

Good luck on your plot construction. Remember, this doesn't have to be a novel. It could be wrapped up at between chapters 8 and 10. It could even be all a mere set-up, establishing characters in a previous adventure so that we'll be more into them in a more intricate work that comes afterward.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:41 PM   #19
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

Actually MUD stands for Multi User Dungeon and is a telnet game that runs online. It is the forefather of the MMORPGs like EverQuest and Ultima Online. It is a game that only consist of text, no graphics, so that is why Tessar is doing his descriptions. It describes actual rooms in the game.

In my opinion MUDs are the best computer games out there... there is basically no limits to the roleplaying potential, which I like.

I love MUME, a mud set in Middle Earth during the 3rd age and the war of the ring. (http://fire.pvv.org)

...and we are indeed waiting for your next chapter here Tess
Old 01-25-2004, 02:40 PM   #20
Earniel

That explains a lot. (And goes to show I know nigh nothing of role playing out of this site. But then again, I already knew that. )

When I first read 'mud building writing' I though Tessar had gone bonkers and had started writing how to build mud castles on the beach.