Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-24-2003, 07:44 PM   #1
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Jury Duty

I was going to post this on Friday - but I decided to take a break from Entmoot during the weekend - for one thing I wanted to work on my website.

I was wondering if anyone has had jury duty.

On Friday I had to go for jury selection. The thing is - this isn't a minor case. It's a death penalty case. The case is baiscally this - a person broke into an apartment (not by me) where a 12 year old girl was watching her infant brother. He is accused of attempted sexual assault and then stabbing her repeatedly. Anyone who knows my opinions - knows I don't have a problem with the death penalty - so that's not the issue, it will take about 3 - 5 weeks though. I guess at least we aren't sequestered. I had to fill out a 15 page questionaire and on the 22nd, I have a private meeting with the judge. Other than what the judge said - I know nothing about the case.

I was just wondering - if anyone has been on jury duty - can you let me know what it's like. On Friday I was at the courthouse from 8:00am - 1:30pm.

BTW - it's a State of New Jersey vs. person case.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-24-2003 at 07:46 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 07:50 PM   #2
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Wow, JD ... that's pretty serious. I haven't ever been a juror. Having young kids, and one with a handicap, I just defer it every year. I wanted to be a juror before I had kids, because I think it's a civic duty, but was never picked from the group. Let us know what happens...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 07:53 PM   #3
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I haven't been on jury duty, but I did get a letter a few months ago telling me I could be called up for jury duty within a certain period.

It sounds like a distressing case -- I hope I'm not involved with something like that.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:58 PM   #4
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
It sounds like a distressing case...
I think that's an understatement - because we will probably be shown crime photos and clothes and stuff.

I was 1 out of 278 potential jurors they called in. I think they were calling more in today - not sure. They said they go through the questionaires and then meet with people to narrow down the selection to 50 people - 16 of which will be chosen as jurors on the court date.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-24-2003, 09:44 PM   #5
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I really doubt if you'll end up on the jury after they talk to you, JD - attorneys don't usually like people with a sense of justice, like you, on the jury. Sad but true... How many "no reason" tossouts does each attorney have, do you know? I think 2.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 09:56 PM   #6
Ruinel
Banned

I was called for jury duty, and I had to report a couple of weeks after I was scheduled to move to a city 3 hours away. I called and asked if I could report at my new city or if I had to drive all the way back. They said just mail it back to them with a note saying I had moved and post mark it from my new city. I haven't been called since.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 09:57 PM   #7
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

A death sentence case?? In New Jersey? Isnt that like extraodinarily rare in New Jersey? In fact have there been ANY executions at ALL in New Jersey in the past 30 years?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 10:03 PM   #8
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
A death sentence case?? In New Jersey? Isnt that like extraodinarily rare in New Jersey? In fact have there been ANY executions at ALL in New Jersey in the past 30 years?
Bring him down to Texas. We'll fry him like bacon.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:22 PM   #9
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

in one of my classes all we are learning about is juries and cases and stuff. sounds like a brutal case though jd. has anyone seen runaway jury i havent but im wondering what people thought
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 10:30 PM   #10
jerseydevil

Quote:
No - we haven't executed anyone in a long time. Usually it seems like they just get conficted and receive the death sentence - but then it's never carried out. But the judge said - if it's beyond a reasonable doubt and some other criteria the jury MUST give the death penalty.

Rian - I'm not sure how much of a say the attorneys have in this case. Maybe there is more interviewing the judge didn't explain to us on Friday - but we only meet with him sometime in December one on one - for about 1 to 2 hours. I'll let you know if I get tossed out. I could get tossed out on the questionaire.

Gimli - yeah it does sound like a brutal case. It would be interesting to be involved with it - but it would probably be really disturbing at the same time. During the jusry selection - we "met" the attorneys and the person who is charged with the crime - along with the judge of course.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-24-2003 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:50 PM   #11
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Ooo, I'm surprised that I haven't heard about any of this. You seem well along into the process, I'd imagine that it should made the news.

That's going to be a tough case to observe. I don't know if I say, good luck? Maybe, good luck to the other jurors; if you don't all agree, I trust you'll be Hell for them. I've confidence in your decision JD.

About whether or not I've served: I'm 15. The general message I recieve from anyone opening a call for duty is just-shoot-the-suspect-and-get-it-over-with-I've-got-a-job-to-go-to. But I don't think it can suck all that much. I'm very interested in law, and I'd like to get into that feild, so jury duty might be interesting for me one day.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:00 AM   #12
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
Bring him down to Texas. We'll fry him like bacon.
well thats texas... you get a speeding ticket in texas and you can get electrocuted. its a state sport down there.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 12:59 AM   #13
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
well thats texas... you get a speeding ticket in texas and you can get electrocuted. its a state sport down there.
Did you see the winky? I'm taking advantage of the stereotype of Texas being the "death penalty state" in poking fun at myself.
<--see? winky.
We do tend to deal out the death penalty a bit much, but then we also house other state's inmates, as well.
Old 11-27-2003, 02:52 PM   #14
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

hahaha fry him like bacon!

anyways, i was on a teen jury last year.. no big cases of course, just some vandalism and breaking and entering.

as much as i would hate to admit that you'd be GOOD at something, JD.. i think you'll do fine at this.. it's takes some analysing and lots of imaginative thinking... which seems to be what you doo.
(im still nursing burns from our last flame war)

anyways, not to be morbid, but have fun.. and try not to get too disturbed by it..

one reason why i could never be on CSI.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:30 PM   #15
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by LuthienTinuviel
hahaha fry him like bacon!
Just a little poke at my own state.
Quote:
anyways, i was on a teen jury last year.. no big cases of course, just some vandalism and breaking and entering.
That's cool. How did it go? I'm interested in knowing if "justice" was served.

Quote:
one reason why i could never be on CSI.
What is CSI?
Old 12-02-2003, 03:19 PM   #16
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
What is CSI?
CSI -- Either Crime Scene Investigation or Crime Scene Investigator, I can't remember which. It's also one of the most popular shows on TV, airing on CBS at 8 p.m. central standard time Thursday nights.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 03:41 PM   #17
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
CSI -- Either Crime Scene Investigation or Crime Scene Investigator, I can't remember which. It's also one of the most popular shows on TV, airing on CBS at 8 p.m. central standard time Thursday nights.
Ah, thanks. I don't watch too much TV.

That sounds like something to do with forensics. Is that what the show is about?

Last edited by Ruinel : 12-02-2003 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:54 PM   #18
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Yeah. If you've seen Forensic Files on the Discovery Channel it's basically the same thing in a drama format. There are usually two storylines going on in one episode unless one is really complex, then there will be only one. They go around checking the crime scene and recreating it and cool stuff like that. It's a great show, you should watch it sometime.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 07:15 PM   #19
Ruinel
Banned

Unfortunately, its on when my Networking class meets. Maybe I'll catch it during the holidays.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:18 PM   #20
Giroth
The Dragonqueen

*sings:

"5 AM, on tuesday,
why am I up so early?
drove down to santa ana,
cause I got Jury Duty.
small breakfast,
short temper,
and I got my head shaven..
...Some days just aren't worth savin!"

supertones song....heheheh..

'So choose today whom you will serve..as for me and my family we wil serve the Lord.'

" Now if you were a hot dog,and you were starving,would ya eat yourself? I know I would! First I'd smother myself in brown mustard and relish..I'd be so delicious!"

It's pronounced 'Hether', not 'Heether', biznotch!
Giroth is offline   Reply With Quote