Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-03-2003, 05:10 PM   #1
Cassius
Enting

Gimli The Arts of War

Amidst all of the fighting and all of the plot, most people do not recognize what makes all of those cool fight scenes possible, the weapons. Now why don't we all just stop and take a look at what they are. For those people that have watched the special feature of the SE Fellowship, take note on how good a job the weaponsmiths did on making all of the weapons. Everything there is original work, handmade with the good old hammer and anvil in a really hot room. Then there is the articulation in all of the elf armor and weaponry with all of the smooth and graceful motifs that give it all a sense of death. Look how finely woven all of the itty bitty links on the Mithril coat are. I would like to say I am a weapons expert, but I am not, I just know a little more than most people how the job is done and how to spot something really good. Being A dwarf fanatic like i am I take extra interest in all aspects of the Dwarven culture.

-Don't understand, Just comprehend.
(Cassius)
Cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 09:31 PM   #2
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

This is a big reason why the films are so good and so popular. The filmmakers put the same attention to detail into most aspects of the filmmaking process at Tolkien did in writing the story. The only difference is that Peter Jackson and Company didn't have 15+ years to accomplish what they had to do.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 02:32 AM   #3
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
This is a big reason why the films are so good and so popular. The filmmakers put the same attention to detail into most aspects of the filmmaking process at Tolkien did in writing the story. The only difference is that Peter Jackson and Company didn't have 15+ years to accomplish what they had to do.
Peter Jackson took the work of Tolkien. Tolkien did the hard work. I should hope it wouldn't take 15 years to recreate something that is already laid out and written for him.

As for the armor and detail- yeah it's great and one of things I think is good about the movies, but detail to scenary and costumes do not make a good movie. Excalibur is a far better movie by the way - and all the armor in there was hand made the same way. The thing is - the story was deeper and less action oriented. It was much more intelligent than Jackson made the Lord of the Rings.

Again BB - do you really have to agree with yourself. I don't know if I should call you gen-x, thranduil, cassius or BB anymore. Who will you be on most as?

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-04-2003 at 02:40 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 07:13 AM   #4
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Now, now, JD, only BB and Gen-X have admitted to considering the movies superior to the books.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 10:26 AM   #5
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Speaking of weapons in the movie, I don't know how many of you saw this, but in the "Fellowship of the Ring" when they are fighting the Orcs in Moria, there is a quick scene where Gandalf is shown holding a bent sword. It almost looked plastic, and then suddenly he had a nice straight sword again.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 05:44 PM   #6
Cassius
Enting

Gimli Not, very... bendable

The answer to that is simple. They made many different types of weapons, rubber, aluminum, etc for safety reasons. You probably already knew that, but yeah. I'm sure everybody noticed the car in the Feild scene with Frodo and Sam.

-Don't understand, Just comprehend.
(Cassius)
Cassius is offline   Reply With Quote