Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-03-2003, 04:40 PM   #1
Cassius
Enting

Gimli Khazad Dum

Despite what most people think or believe or whatever, The movies are good. In particular how the extended part of the fellowship's journey through Khazad Dum. Now most people aren't as critical as I am about how dwarves are rendered in art or otherwise, but the LOTR movies have cleared the bar. Look at how much detail is put into everything! The architecture is amazing, and well rendered in special effects. While the stair scene was a bit lenghty, it provided an excellent time for me to go to the bathroom in the theater. Some people say that the fight scene near Balin's tomb is crappy and that the troll stabbing Frodo was crappy since it was really an orc captain, I say this to you people: LETS SEE YOU DO BETTER! For someone who has unlimited funds and immortal actors go ahead and film the books word for word! I'd be glad to see it, but until then appreciate all of the hard work put into it! As to one specific feature that i doubt anyone has missed, the balrog, they did an excellent job (the balrog is a pivotal part of Khazad Dum, so don't get pissy). I can safely say that the passage through Khazad Dum is one of the best parts (PLURAL: PARTS!) of the Fellowship movie.

-Don't understand, Just comprehend.
(Cassius)
Cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 11:40 PM   #2
GenX
Sapling

Nazgul

Great job Cassius. I completely agree the detail does show how much work and effort was put into the making of the LOTR. Though this does pose another question. How do Dwarfs live in such a place. Without light or running water or the opportunity to grow food. Also the craftsmenship they can't do this with such short bodies, and nubby fingers. I just don't get it. Prove this to me with specific page numbers in the books and published dates of the novels.
GenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 12:51 AM   #3
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

well the extended additon is the one that seems to stick to the book .i mean you cant really fit one of those books into a movie. i think pj said that the extended addition for the second movie has a lot of the missing parts and it will be the same with the third one. its also hard to remake a movie of a book that will suit all audiences of non readers and readers.
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 12:52 AM   #4
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Cassius
While the stair scene was a bit lenghty, it provided an excellent time for me to go to the bathroom in the theater.
BB -err cassius - a GOOD movie doesn't give you an excuse to go to the bathroom.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 12:59 AM   #5
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by gimli7410
well the extended additon is the one that seems to stick to the book .i mean you cant really fit one of those books into a movie. i think pj said that the extended addition for the second movie has a lot of the missing parts and it will be the same with the third one. its also hard to remake a movie of a book that will suit all audiences of non readers and readers.
So - is he going to take out the ridiculous Theoden exorcism, the kidnapping of Frodo to Osgiliath, the falling of Aragorn over the cliff and make Treebeard know what was going on in the forest he supposedly cared about so much? If not - then the extended versions can't save the movie in my eyes.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-04-2003, 01:23 AM   #6
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
BB -err cassius - a GOOD movie doesn't give you an excuse to go to the bathroom.
Ha Ha, I love it JD. You make me laugh,(clears throught) oh yes a just point.
thranduil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 03:49 PM   #7
Cassius
Enting

Gimli Potty time

Well Jerseyman, I don't suppose you care if your kidneys burst in a theater packed full of people, but I do. I really good movie allows people that time to empty their kidneys and still come back and see the biggest baddest creature in the books.

And as to how dwarves live underground, beats me. It never mentions it in the Books, LOTR or Silmarillion, I just reread both to find out more about Dwarven aspects, but it is all very vague. Maybe if Tolkein lived longer we would all know. As to my guess, I would have crops grown in the mountains, they did carve windows to let the sun in.

And as to my official status on whether the books are better than the movies, the answer is obvious, the BOOKS!! A movie is a good way to visualize, all that I need is my imagination.

(Cassius)
Old 11-04-2003, 04:23 PM   #8
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Cassius
Well Jerseyman, I don't suppose you care if your kidneys burst in a theater packed full of people, but I do. I really good movie allows people that time to empty their kidneys and still come back and see the biggest baddest creature in the books.
I don't know- I was able to see Harry Potter and FotR back to back with no problem.

Quote:

And as to how dwarves live underground, beats me. It never mentions it in the Books, LOTR or Silmarillion, I just reread both to find out more about Dwarven aspects, but it is all very vague. Maybe if Tolkein lived longer we would all know. As to my guess, I would have crops grown in the mountains, they did carve windows to let the sun in.
BB - I don't think Tolkien had to explain every little thing. I mean he didn't explain the birds and the bees between elves or the ents either.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-04-2003, 06:00 PM   #9
Cassius
Enting

Gimli b's and the b's

I'm surprised you have time to watch those two movies back to back...(cough)

Anyways, I don't expect Tolkein to got into every tiny speck on the smallest little ant, it is impossible. However, I do believe that there were things that Tolkein wanted to clarify or continue on. I know, I am an author. I doubt that in my lifetime that I will be able to perfectly clarify all of my writing to anyone, not even my (future) children.

(Cassius)
Old 11-04-2003, 06:23 PM   #10
thranduil
Elven Warrior

khazad dum was terrific scene. I think Tolkein would be pleased with that scene. Besides the troll extension. IT portrayed the mines correctly. THe only thing that really bugged me was gandalfs fall. It seemed like it was unnescessary, that he could have easily got up if he tried/ or helped up. (yes, yes, they couldn't help because the goblins were shooting "arrows"). Overall I too am amazed by the architechture in moria.
thranduil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 08:14 PM   #11
Cassius
Enting

Gimli

Thank You, my point exactly.

(Cassius)