Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-01-2003, 04:37 PM   #1
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Schoool Violence

Lately in Vancouver there have been many attacks including one where a 13 year slit the throught of a 16 year old. THere have been 3 attacks in the last 2 weeks or so, and all have been with knives. Another student almost had his hand cut off which may of saved his life when a student came at him with a machettie (sp). Just wondering what others think on this type of school violence

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 07:31 PM   #2
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

It's just terrible. Everyone hears about the violence in the US - but we hardly hear about the violence in other countries. I know last year or 2 years ago - a student held his classmates hostage at gunpoint or something in germany. He had been suspended.

I've never seen school violence in my area - but there had been episodes in inner city schools of course.

We've actually had a decrease in overall school violence - even during columbine and the other school shootings. Columbine, etc were just big profile - but actually overall school violence was and has been going down in the US.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 07:34 PM   #3
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

there have a been af ew bomb threats at our high school, but other than that people usually inflict violence on themselves. there has been 1 suicide in that past 2 years, and several suicide attempts. it didnt help that our superintendant commited suicide after our local newpaper's letter to the editoor section was filled with letters complaining about her. some people have no compassion! the things they way about stuff they have no idea about. its crazy.

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 08:43 PM   #4
Draken
Elf Lord

Um I once threw a first year down the grass bank behind Turbott House at Tupton Hall school. But he WAS being very annoying. And a Sixth Former hit me with a chunk of ice during the traditional Sixth Form v the rest snowball fight one year. But I WAS being very annoying. That's about the limit of my experience, sorry.

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 11:14 PM   #5
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Hmm. I once threw a chair at a teacher, does that count? (it sounds worse than it actually was)
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 12:31 PM   #6
Ruinel
Banned

DAMN, gollum!! Where do you live? In da hood? I think it sucks that anyone would have to go to school in that kind of environment. Sorry to hear that you do, gollum. Maybe you should move to the states, where you can get an education without getting a knife in the back. (They must be feeding you guys the same drugs they fed the soldiers in that movie Jacob's Ladder. )
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 12:26 PM   #7
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

My school used to fight pitched battles against the Catholic school up the road. The "hard men" would go around at lunch time rounding up first and second years and intimidating them into piling onto the hockey pitch after school then use them as cannon fodder, with hundreds of combatants on each side. Total disgrace. It would happen every couple of years, usually after one student got battered by a bunch from the other school, there would be reprisals, then it would get out of hand.

Fortunately, my route home took me in the opposite direction.

Thank God they didn't have any weapons in those (admittedly distant) days.

Hooray for denominational education!
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 12:16 AM   #8
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Three years ago in the high school near us, this girl stabbed this other girl on the bus because she "stole" her boyfriend.
Now three yrs. later the parents of the girl who got stabbed are suing the parents of knife girl for over 129,000 dollars.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 02:22 AM   #9
Guillaume le Maréchal
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Maybe you should move to the states, where you can get an education without getting a knife in the back.
WHAT? HOW CAN... oh... I get it... sarcasm.

Slow on the uptake,
Dave
as good as war, trouble and action.

--Bertran de Born, Knight and Troubadour

Castle Duncan
Guillaume le Maréchal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 07:10 PM   #10
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
DAMN, gollum!! Where do you live? In da hood? I think it sucks that anyone would have to go to school in that kind of environment. Sorry to hear that you do, gollum. Maybe you should move to the states, where you can get an education without getting a knife in the back.
actually, all these attacks have been in vancouver. i live an hour outside of vancouver, and go to catholic school where there is like no violence except the occasional (like 5 a year) fist fights. actually, in the entire history of my school (10 years) there has only been 1 problem and thats when we got into a fight with a nearby public school after someone got ran over.

Quote:
(They must be feeding you guys the same drugs they fed the soldiers in that movie Jacob's Ladder. )
never saw or heard of it

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 01:54 PM   #11
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Guillaume le Maréchal
WHAT? HOW CAN... oh... I get it... sarcasm.

Slow on the uptake,
Dave
A little sarcasm... but in reality, there's not a lot of violence in schools. Not like how the media portrays it. No news team will show up to a school and say... "It's another event free day today at Whatever High School in Somewhere City. Everyone ate their usual disgusting lunch and attended class, and no one was hurt." It doesn't make for exciting news.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:43 PM   #12
Lady Tinuveil
Elven Warrior

~

I have gotten in fights at my schools and gotten myself in quite a bit of trouble, but I havent heard of any one getting stabbed or shot. The worst at any of the schools I went to was a bomb threat.
No one I know has ever gotten seriously injured.
Lady Tinuveil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 02:59 PM   #13
Ruinel
Banned

There was a fight at one of the schools I was substituting in, about a month ago. It was between two girls, and it was quite brutal. By the time I got out to the fight, one girl had the other on the ground and was violently kicking the one on the ground in the face. What possessed them to act like animals I never found out.

BTW: since I'm a substitute, I have no health insurance and I'm not covered by any disability. If I am hurt, and can't work no one pays my doctor bills or loss of wages. So if you wondered if I stepped in, the answer is emphatically "no". Sometimes, you have to watch out for yourself, because no one else will.