Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-18-2003, 07:39 PM   #1
gdl96
the greg the admin

College Admission Essays

I've really hit a brick wall recently while trying to complete these tedious essays so I can get into college. I just can't seem to get started with them, no matter how hard I try.

I think the problem is that the top school I want to go to (University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill) is a bit of a stretch for me, so I want my essay to be so outstanding and amazing, that I can't seem to get it even started. And also, the questions tend to be a bit personal, and I always feel uncomfortable when writing about personal things.

Any shared experiences or advice?

I wish I could just fast forward my life a few months and be done with all this so I could enjoy the remainder of my senior year.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 09:47 PM   #2
azalea
Long lost mooter

Aw, I know how you feel. I had that same wish to "fast forward" life a few months last year (but for a different reason), just to be over the hump of stress.
I guess I don't have any specific advice about the essays (I didn't have to write any for the colleges to which I applied when I went, but I DID have to write short essays on job apps after graduating, which was so annoying, especially those personal questions!), but I'd just try to write a smart-sounding, confident essay, where I tried to "sell" myself to them but still try to sound somewhat humble (it's very hard!).
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 11:02 PM   #3
Percy Weasley
Enting

gdl96,

I certainly remember those days! I fretted for months before finally deciding what to write my essay about.

My suggestion is to write from your heart. Write what you are feeling. The college I went to wanted to use the essay to get to know who I was, to try to decide if I would be the kind of student that they wanted to have. They wanted it personal because unless you have had an enterview, that is their only exposure to your human side.

Also, don't sell your self short. Don't go in to this thinking that they don't want you - if you do that, your paper will reflect those feelings. Don't try to write pretentiously to attract attention, just write the way you write - let your heart pour it out on the paper. That way, if you are accepted, or if you are denied, at least you know that it was honest. Don't try to be someone you're not.

I'm sure you will do just fine.

Peace,
~Percy

~~~~~~~~

Howard Dean in 2004!
Percy Weasley is offline   Reply With Quote