Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-19-2003, 02:44 PM   #1
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Are the LOTR movies "film classics?"

Several well-known and respected film critics have been hailing Peter Jackson LOTR films as "modern-day movie classics."

In your opinion, what makes a movie "a film classic" and do Peter Jackson's LOTR movies fit your definition?
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 03:04 PM   #2
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Well, I'm not sure these movies are old enough to be considered classics. To me, a classic is a movie that was made and was successful at its beginning, but withstood the test of time, and remained popular for years after. The Wizard of Oz would be one example, Gone With The Wind, would be another. Time will tell with LotRs.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 03:09 PM   #3
Elf Girl
Lurker

Yup. I'll be back to you on that in 20 or so years.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 05:16 PM   #4
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

I totally agree that true classics are able to withstand the test of time. Only time will tell, but does anybody really believe these LOTR films will be gone and forgotten ten or twenty years from now?
Old 09-19-2003, 05:22 PM   #5
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
I totally agree that true classics are able to withstand the test of time. Only time will tell, but does anybody really believe these LOTR films will be gone and forgotten ten or twenty years from now?
Well, the books are certianly classic, and that in itself could keep the popularity of the movies going throughout the years, unless someone else comes along and does a better job than Jackson.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 09-19-2003, 07:38 PM   #6
Entlover
Elven Warrior

It's interesting that some old movies now get 4 stars (out of 4) in the TV reviews, while if they were released now they'd probably get two. Some movies just seem untouchable, once they get into the canon.
Yes, I think these will be classics, but it's true that it's too early to call them that. But movie critics are not rocket scientists.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 07:50 PM   #7
Balrog_of_Morgoth
Elven Warrior

I believe they will be. If ROTK is as good as I think it will be, that should cement the status of this trilogy as an enduring classic.

The acting is what will set them apart. True, some of it is borderline over-the-top, but the good performances more than make up for these parts. (read: Gandalf, Aragorn, Boromir, Sam, Theoden, Eomer, Eowyn). The casting was superb. The effects were top notch. The story is the best fantasy story ever.

I don't see anyone else remaking these for a long time, due to the superb cast. It would be very tough to assemble a cast like the one Jackson did until a whole new generation of actors emerge and mature.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:23 AM   #8
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Balrog_of_Morgoth
I don't see anyone else remaking these for a long time, due to the superb cast. It would be very tough to assemble a cast like the one Jackson did until a whole new generation of actors emerge and mature.
I totally agree with you, B_o_M. PJ's superb cast have already become so tied to the characters, that a new cast will never seem quite right. Once a movie becomes a classic, attempts to remake it for a new generation have always become dismal failures.
Old 09-20-2003, 11:34 AM   #9
Sween
im quite stupid

What people consider classic movie i dont really understand there are all sorts. The way i would classify these films (well maybew not TTT so much) is epic! Epic in there size and scope and genral filming. The first shots in fellowship are epic some of the moria stuff is epic the journy is epic. I think i will consider them classic movie but then some people consider little women a classic movie
Old 09-21-2003, 08:59 PM   #10
Gamigar
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Well, the books are certianly classic, and that in itself could keep the popularity of the movies going throughout the years, unless someone else comes along and does a better job than Jackson.
When I take over the world I'll make sure to do that.

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
And I must follow if I can
Pursuing it with eager feet
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet
And wither then I can not say
Gamigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 09:44 PM   #11
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Spammer.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 09-23-2003, 05:24 PM   #12
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

I definately think they will become classics.
A classic is a movie that becomes what M. Night Shamalayn (spl?) calls a 'cultural phenomenon'. It doesn't have to have the best special effects, or even the best acting (although FOTR and TTT have both of those)- it must be something that everybody recognizes. You stick a bumper sticker on your car that merely has a picture of the Ring on it, no caption, no nothing, and people say, "Oh, you like LOTR." Or you mention Orcs or Hobbits, and people know what you're talking about. I definately think that the LOTR films are already like that.
Of course, like you've all been saying, they do have to stand the test of time. FOTR will always be one of my favorite movies.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 02:30 PM   #13
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
I totally agree with you, B_o_M. PJ's superb cast have already become so tied to the characters, that a new cast will never seem quite right. Once a movie becomes a classic, attempts to remake it for a new generation have always become dismal failures.
Like King Kong, for example.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 07:28 PM   #14
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
Like King Kong, for example.
Good one, Cirdan. But seriously, unlike Jackson I don't happen to view the original King Kong as a classic. Many movie buffs might remember Faye Ray, but the only really memorable character from the film is King Kong himself.

I don't think PJ's King Kong will have anywhere near the critical acclaim that LOTR has generated. I'm just saying it will be a "summer blockbuster" that makes money.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:03 PM   #15
Cirdan

KK may be more like The Mummy from what I've seen, except that movies of this genre are coming out pretty frequently and the market is saturated (e.g. "The Rock"'s new movie.) It may do between 50-100M, if it's done well, but your 250M prediction from the other thread is way beyond reason. There's just as good a chance it will crawl away with 20-40M.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 09-24-2003, 09:19 PM   #16
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

You're on, Cirdan. I'll bet you that King Kong's total will be a heck of a lot closer to my 250M than your 100M. Name the booty.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:24 PM   #17
Cirdan

You will put "I am a Tolkien Purist" in your sig.]:-}

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 09-25-2003, 02:22 AM   #18
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Wait.
You're telling me that PJ, after coming out with the trilogy of LotR, is now working on King Kong?
This is a joke, right? That would be like Lincoln doing a comic book after the Gettysburg Address. Or something.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 09:41 AM   #19
Cirdan

This is what I would call a "likely response". There may by WWI flying aces playing baseball in the sky and dino fights included, but let's face it. It's the the big ape thing... AGAIN!!!

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 09-25-2003, 11:26 AM   #20
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

The BB-Cirdan bet on King Kong's gross. Here are the stakes:

If Cirdan wins, BB will change his title to: "JRR Tolkien Purist"

If BB wins, Cirdan will change his title to: "Gushing Peter Jackson Groupie"