Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-18-2003, 04:10 PM   #1
nessa
Enting

Hurricaine Isabel

I would like to wish everyone well who is in the path of Isabel. Looks awesome and dangerous. So all, take care, and keep the hatches battened!
Old 09-18-2003, 04:42 PM   #2
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

It's been cloudy here since last night and it's been windy today, but now the wind is starting to pick up more and the first rains have started. We're not going to get it as bad as North Carolina - but we'll get the tropical storm. It's just amazing to think that the wind that we feel and the clouds are a swerling mass that is right now - 7 hours drive south of us.

I am glad it's not hitting NJ and I'm glad that it went all the way down from a category 5 to a category 2 by the time it hit land. If it was a category 5 - it would have been devastating - even all the way up here.

My aunt and uncle live in North Carolina - but they live in Greensboro and my cousin lives in Ashville - so they're far enough inland. My other cousin lives in Alexandria Virginia - so they're going to get hit a little bit harder. It seems as if the center of the storm will just pass west of me.

MY one cousin who lives in Beachwood - went to the beach yesterday (Seaside Heights) and said the waves were awesome. We've been seeing larger waves for the past week - but hopefully they won't be too bad as the night goes on.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 09-18-2003 at 04:44 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 04:53 PM   #3
nessa
Enting

We in the UK are usually relatively safe from natural hazards. There are huge fires in Portugal and Siberia and flood and hurricaine in the States. Nature, eh? 'Tis wonderous and fearsome!
Old 09-18-2003, 05:05 PM   #4
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by nessa
We in the UK are usually relatively safe from natural hazards. There are huge fires in Portugal and Siberia and flood and hurricaine in the States. Nature, eh? 'Tis wonderous and fearsome!
Actually - we have fires (western states mostly, although NJ has it's fair share), floods (anywhere), hurricanes( east coast, gulf states), earthquakes (mostly west although NJ had a minor one last month), tornadoes (mostly midwest), valcanoes (west) and tsunamis (west).

Nature is beautiful - but can be very destructive. I've been in eartquakes, floods, tornadoes and hurricanes.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 09-18-2003 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-18-2003, 05:17 PM   #5
nessa
Enting

The last earthquake in the UK centered outside Manchester, if I remember rightly. There was one in Edinburgh a few years back and a chimney stack fell down!

In 1987 there was a hurricaine that devastated large swathes of the south of England.

We do get moorland fires and so on, but not usually on the same scale as other countries!

We are lucky. Only problems are usually related to the dismal weather which, as you proll know, is subject of endless discussion!
Old 09-18-2003, 05:33 PM   #6
Sween
im quite stupid

I once went out with a girl called Isabel! She was a b****h as well. Hope ya all ok
Old 09-18-2003, 05:35 PM   #7
Bunnie_Queen_1146
90% angel

Here in Canada we will be getting the taleend of it, so tomorow it will probily be real windy and rainy
/Back when a hoe was a hoe/Coke was a coke/And crack's what you were doing/When you were cracking jokes/Back when a screw was a screw/The wind was all that blew/And when you said I'm down with that Well it meant you had the flu/I miss back when
Bunnie_Queen_1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 06:21 PM   #8
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

It's nice and sunny here and hasn't rained all week. Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

I can understand what the people getting hit are going through. When Hurricane Opal made landfall in October 1995 it was a Category 3 storm (I think) and the eye went right over my town. It's the strangest thing when there's this massive storm raging outside and then all of a sudden everything gets quiet. And we were a good 100 miles inland.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 06:30 PM   #9
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bunnie_Queen_1146
Here in Canada we will be getting the taleend of it, so tomorow it will probily be real windy and rainy
Same here. We are expected to get some heavy rain and gusty winds. We are under a wind advisory now.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 07:10 PM   #10
jerseydevil

How are other places around the world reporting the Hurricane. I'm watching the French news and they just said that the Hurricane is already being termed the "Hurricane of the Century". It's not even close - here - we are very glad at how weak it is. It's only a category 2.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 09-18-2003, 07:14 PM   #11
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

It's very weak here as well (uh maybe 30 minutes from JD? )

Its dark outside (its evening) and windy (more than usual), but only drizzling. Its not even raining!

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 08:05 PM   #12
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

*holding on to the railings*

YEAH WELL BE HAPPY YOU ARENT HERE RIGHT NOW! MY ELECTRICITY IS ALREADY OUT (its been out since 4:45!) AND IM OPERATING ON LAP TOP BATTERY POWER NOW! 30 MPH WINDS ARE SUPPOSED TO REACH 65+ TOMORROW MORNING! I HAVE A CASE OF BEER AND CHINESE FOOD SO ILL BE OK! SEE YOU GUYS TOMORROW SOMETIME IF IM LUCKY!

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 12:17 AM   #13
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

that sucks IR hope yer okay. we dont really get anything here in b.c. except for forest fires and lots of rain but we are expecting a huge earthquake though. its supposed to happen real soon so hopefully it wont be too bad
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 03:17 AM   #14
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
How are other places around the world reporting the Hurricane. I'm watching the French news and they just said that the Hurricane is already being termed the "Hurricane of the Century". It's not even close - here - we are very glad at how weak it is. It's only a category 2.
The news reports are exaggerating the strenght of it, but by the weather scientists it is said to be a realtively weak hurricane.

Hope you're all OK.
Old 09-19-2003, 04:59 AM   #15
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
They said nothing like that here. They spoke of the path the hurricane would take, the windspeeds, the rain and they mentioned previous storms. Then they showed a bit of video of people closing up their homes at the coast and leaving for more inland regions to wait out the storm. I got the impression that the people over there were more expecting a heavy -but sort recurring - hurricane instead of that of the century.

Hugs to anyone out there in that storm. We never have that sort of storm here and it's good that we don't. I'd have died of fright I think.
Old 09-19-2003, 06:01 AM   #16
Sween
im quite stupid

They said something like will get some bad winds and rain or summet end of our fantastic summer
Old 09-19-2003, 06:52 AM   #17
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

haahahhahahhahaha - its not even raining outside. not even drizzling or all that windy.

We have a DELAYED OPENING for school. haha. what a bunch of morons. all it is is a tiny bit darker than usual in the morning and during the night it rained a little.

Yay, i get to sleep or do whatever for another 2 hours or so thanks to the stupidity of the town.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 09:27 AM   #18
Ruinel
Banned

Not pretty.
This came off the CNN.com/Weather site, if anyone wants to read the full story.
Quote:
Downgraded from a hurricane to a tropical storm, Isabel still had maximum sustained winds of up 40 mph (64 kph), the National Hurricane Center said.

Residents of coastal areas from North Carolina to Virginia were told to boil water before drinking it because water treatment facilities were flooded.

...But the bright morning light illuminated the destruction even a Category 2 storm can do when it makes landfall with 100 mph winds.

"The worst impact was down in North Carolina along the Outer Banks,"... "...4,000 people or so who didn't evacuate, a lot of building collapses, urban search and rescue teams in there."

...the worst damage was likely on southern Hatteras Island and Ocracoke Island, where sustained winds reached 105 mph....

"We're still going to see the aftermath of it in flash flooding and water continuing to move down the rivers,"....

At least 13 deaths are blamed on the storm, seven in Virginia, two each in Maryland and North Carolina and one each in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

Quote:
POWER OUTAGES
Customers without power
(8 a.m. EDT)
Virginia -- 1,600,000
Maryland -- 1,250,000
North Carolina -- 525,000
Pennsylvania -- 500,000
New Jersey -- 160,000
Delaware -- 50,000
West Virginia -- 21,000
I am safely far far away from this. We get enough of our share of hurricanes here where I live.

Last edited by Ruinel : 09-19-2003 at 09:29 AM.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 11:30 AM   #19
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

We're getting the remnants of it today in Ontario, although most of it is over lake Ontario, we've got rain and high wind.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:35 AM   #20
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

It rained all night and all morning, this morning. We are under a flood warning right now, but that's nothing new. This has been the soggiest summer here that I can remember. I did see that Concord Ohio, in Lake county got the most rain here from the remnants of Isabel, 3.15 inches

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote