Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-12-2003, 07:59 PM   #1
Diaxion
Elven Warrior

Re-Call

What is up with this california re-call? Its like 100 people are running. I think that it is wrong. What do you think?
Old 08-12-2003, 08:38 PM   #2
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

More like 200. And yeah I think its a joke. The more of a three ring circus this becomes the more illegitimate it will be. They should have just voted Davis out when his time came around again. This is setting a really bad precedent. Now people will think hey if my guy lost the election lets just recall the guy who won in the hopes we will get one of my guys in. bad bad message to send..... and arnold is NOT qualified to be a governor for gods sake! just because hes a popular actor?? course in this country qualifications dont seem as important really. I mean look at our president.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 11:17 PM   #3
gdl96
the greg the admin

The situation with California's economy is pretty bad, and i don't think anything is wrong with the recall.

The problem arises with the candidates. I was listening to Shaun Hannity today on the radio. He was talking to Gary Coleman, who was talking about how he wanted to run for gov.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 12:01 AM   #4
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

How is this re-call justified anyway? Wouldn't the bad economy be more of a gradual build-up, rather than the fault of one administration?
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 12:52 PM   #5
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by gdl96
The situation with California's economy is pretty bad, and i don't think anything is wrong with the recall.
you dont recall a politician because he made mistakes and couldnt fix the economy in california. thats absurd. you recall a politician if they have done something outragious like take bribes or give his relatives/friends/croneys kick backs through the power of office. NOT because you disgree with his politics or because hes an idiot on economic issues. I mean if you think thats ok then every third politician is liable for recall. Do you really want to deal with that? And i find it ironic that the loudest proponents of this recall are saying its necessary because Davis screwed up things economically for the state and spent way too much money and yet they want a recall and an election that will cost more then $70 million dollars in the end. Irony....

Old 08-13-2003, 03:39 PM   #6
Elf Girl
Lurker

155 cantidates last Saturday.

*is a mine of public knowledge*
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 05:25 PM   #7
gdl96
the greg the admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
you dont recall a politician because he made mistakes and couldnt fix the economy in california. thats absurd. you recall a politician if they have done something outragious like take bribes or give his relatives/friends/croneys kick backs through the power of office. NOT because you disgree with his politics or because hes an idiot on economic issues. I mean if you think thats ok then every third politician is liable for recall. Do you really want to deal with that?
I work at A&P. If I begin doing a piss poor job at work, and cause the A&P to lose lot's of money, then I'll be fired. I see no reason why you cannot do the same with a governor. Davis is doing a piss poor job, and California needs somebody to do a good job.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 05:48 PM   #8
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
and arnold is NOT qualified to be a governor for gods sake! just because hes a popular actor?? course in this country qualifications dont seem as important really. I mean look at our president.
and don't forget Ronald Reagan -- a past 'gift' from California

the only thing more ridiculous than blaming one person for something as complex as California's economic crisis is expecting one person to be able to fix it...
Old 08-13-2003, 07:18 PM   #9
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by gdl96
I work at A&P. If I begin doing a piss poor job at work, and cause the A&P to lose lot's of money, then I'll be fired. I see no reason why you cannot do the same with a governor. Davis is doing a piss poor job, and California needs somebody to do a good job.
I ask again: How can ONE person/administration be responsible for California's economic crisis?
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 07:29 PM   #10
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

California is a huge state, with a high amount of immigrants. My own state is a mess...I can't imagine trying to pull all the things going on in California together!
Man, I'd vote for Arnold in a heartbeat! I agree with Maria, he is a born leader! Oh well, Arnold is not running in Indiana! I think it's hard to predict who will make a good politician. Someone who has a positive personality, and can see the forest for the trees.
I'm so mad at Indiana leaders... the only incumbents I'm voting for are Richard Lugar and Evan Bayh. The rest can go to H*ll and figure out how to decrease my property taxes! Geez, I'm surprised anyone wants to be a politician. Not a job for perfectionists!

Last edited by Lizra : 08-13-2003 at 07:30 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 07:45 PM   #11
Diaxion
Elven Warrior

If Arnold gets elected than he will be a bad leader and a bad governor not because he will make bad desitions but because he will make none at all.
Further more, a goverment is not a buisness and should not be run like one. This is for the good of the people.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:48 PM   #12
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Wow! A seer!
Old 08-13-2003, 09:30 PM   #13
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Diaxion
If Arnold gets elected than he will be a bad leader and a bad governor not because he will make bad desitions but because he will make none at all.
That's really an unjustified assumption.

Quote:
Further more, a goverment is not a buisness and should not be run like one. This is for the good of the people.
I would think the goal of a good business would be to make profits and maintain the welfare of its employees by providing various services and benefits. What more can be asked from a government?
Old 08-14-2003, 04:04 PM   #14
Diaxion
Elven Warrior

In some ways you're right but in others you are wrong. A business is ruthless. Therefore, it will cut of its weak links and discard its old ones. Therefore, it can be aserted that is a nation was a business than it could discard its people (not just politions, but the average person).
So you see if a nation was a business than it would be like a Nazi Germany, except that it would be succesful.
Old 08-15-2003, 02:55 AM   #15
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Diaxion
In some ways you're right but in others you are wrong. A business is ruthless. Therefore, it will cut of its weak links and discard its old ones. Therefore, it can be aserted that is a nation was a business than it could discard its people (not just politions, but the average person).
Again, you make an unwarranted assumption. Not every business is a corporate stereotype. What about small businesses?
Old 08-15-2003, 12:39 PM   #16
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

all businesses, small or large, have a primary goal: profit

making a profit comes before all other concerns

you can make a case that happy employees are more likely to work efficiently and therefore the business is more likely to be profitable

however, there are unknown variables that can affect a business, so that the only way it can remain fiscally healthy is by laying off employees, regardless of their effectiveness

businesses are not about compassion or fairness

does anyone truly believe that 'what's good for Ford is good for America'? especially in light of the corruption and greed that we now all expect as typical corporate boardroom behavior?

25 years ago a CEO earned 40-50 times what an average worker did, today it's 500+ times

yeah, the government should be run like a business... like Enron, maybe?
Old 08-15-2003, 05:54 PM   #17
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

The metaphor of employees and constituents was a poor one. Perhaps it would be better to think of these constituents as consumers. Just like voters, consumers hold immense influence over the decisions of executives. Therefore, it is in the best interests of any business to keep its consumers content, whether that be their first priority or not.
Quote:
however, there are unknown variables that can affect a business
Are all the unknown variables that plague businesses necessarily relevant to the affairs of a government administration?
Old 08-15-2003, 07:51 PM   #18
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Mirahzi
The metaphor of employees and constituents was a poor one. Perhaps it would be better to think of these constituents as consumers. Just like voters, consumers hold immense influence over the decisions of executives. Therefore, it is in the best interests of any business to keep its consumers content, whether that be their first priority or not.
I agree. I "vote" with my dollars, after all. The difficulty I have in thinking of a government as a business is in that "first priority" and how it ultimately influences how decisions are made.

Quote:
Are all the unknown variables that plague businesses necessarily relevant to the affairs of a government administration?
No, I don't believe they all are. Government administration is influenced by many of the same factors (general economic malaise, natural catastrophes), but its most important priority is the welfare of its citizens, and other fiscal responsibilities are (should be) subject to that. On the other hand, a cynic could make the claim that what drives government officials is the ability to win the next election and the appeasement of special interest groups.

Last edited by Hasty Ent : 08-16-2003 at 01:29 AM.
Hasty Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 03:19 AM   #19
Diaxion
Elven Warrior

But is this Re-Call truely apart of our American system. i doubt that many soldiers who have died for this country would have wanted to die for a Re-Call.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:47 AM   #20
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

un-freaking-believable...

we have truly gone down the rabbit hole now and the world has turned upside down and inside out. life has imitated bad art and made reality a farce. jesse the body was one thing. this is truly truly embarrassing. has america really lost touch of their bearings with reality so much that they think real life and important issues is the same as reality tv. please america wake up from your pop farce day dreaming and look what youve done.