Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-05-2003, 12:16 AM   #1
The Ben
Really Smelly Orc

The Legond of Zelda: Windwaker

I got windwaker not so long ago.

What do you think about it?

I found it is a very addicting, time-consuming role-playing game.
Old 07-05-2003, 12:22 AM   #2
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Amazing, amazing game. So much fun, and so full of life and colour and imagination. Maybe not quite EarthBound-amazing, but I'm only partway through it, so who knows?

It's astounding how video games have evolved into a medium by which people can tell great stories - and make them look so good, too. Of all the games that are out for the next-generation consoles nowadays, Wind Waker is the one we'll remember in ten years. Kind of like how I still play Super Mario World.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 12:33 AM   #3
The Ben
Really Smelly Orc

I wouln't know. I wanna play Earthbound but you don't want to buy it for our SNES off of Ebay.
Old 07-05-2003, 01:25 AM   #4
Anglorfin
Alasailon

I want a Zelda game with KICKASS type graphics now. Not all this kiddy stuff with Link running around as an 8 year old. THE ORIGINAL LINK WAS 18!!!!!! Man I really miss that and refuse to play the game. I'm sure it's great and all but just the fact that it's Zelda now turns me off to it.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 05:42 PM   #5
Giroth
The Dragonqueen

that game roxs.
I finished the game a few months ago,and got all the figurines

everything is cool about that game.

'So choose today whom you will serve..as for me and my family we wil serve the Lord.'

" Now if you were a hot dog,and you were starving,would ya eat yourself? I know I would! First I'd smother myself in brown mustard and relish..I'd be so delicious!"

It's pronounced 'Hether', not 'Heether', biznotch!
Giroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 06:34 PM   #6
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

I agree with Anglorfin, the new grapics don't really excite me and I like playing Link as an adult. Plus, I am kind of getting tired of video games. They are soo addicting, they take up soo much time. But I'll try this new game, maybe it's good.

The last game, Ocarina was awesome. I had so much fun playing that game. Has anyone tried Ocarina with the new graphics. I heard about it but I haven'e seen it yet.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 12:09 AM   #7
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
I want a Zelda game with KICKASS type graphics now. Not all this kiddy stuff with Link running around as an 8 year old. THE ORIGINAL LINK WAS 18!!!!!! Man I really miss that and refuse to play the game. I'm sure it's great and all but just the fact that it's Zelda now turns me off to it.
Then you have no idea what you're missing. Might I remind you that the "original" Link was also in "kiddy" graphic games for the NES and SNES? Besides, if you actually played the game, you would understand why Link is a kid in this one. It's that way for purposes that are absolutely key to the story.

I adore Wind Waker's graphical style. It has a certain "cleanliness" to it that will last for a very long time, whereas a lot of late-'90s polygonal games now look very... polygonal.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Old 07-06-2003, 12:15 AM   #8
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

i havent played it yet but i want to. My cousin has it and i have watched him play and it looked cool, but i still think that the Ocarina of Time kicks a$$.

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 12:26 AM   #9
The Ben
Really Smelly Orc

Quote:
Originally posted by Giroth
that game roxs.
I finished the game a few months ago,and got all the figurines

everything is cool about that game.
You finished the game a few mounths ago? I mean, I don't even think it was even out a few mounths ago.

And sorry. I really ment the Legend of Zelda
Old 07-06-2003, 03:38 PM   #10
Giroth
The Dragonqueen

the game came out in March......I got it the day it came out.Not to mention,with it I got a copy of the special master quest for gamecube,with the special version of ocarina of time on it.That also roxs

'So choose today whom you will serve..as for me and my family we wil serve the Lord.'

" Now if you were a hot dog,and you were starving,would ya eat yourself? I know I would! First I'd smother myself in brown mustard and relish..I'd be so delicious!"

It's pronounced 'Hether', not 'Heether', biznotch!
Giroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 05:08 PM   #11
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

The game was beautiful, but failed short of what I was hoping for. The Windwaker has to be my least favorite Zelda game ever (not including the cd-i games). The lack of dungeons is my biggest complaint, and the game was just way to easy, no challenge at all, I never died once in the game.

The graphics are a work of art, but the rest of the game just left me unsatisfied. It was nowhere near to Ocarina of Time or A Link to the Past. But the Nintendo Gallery was a cool idea, but the reward for completeing it was pretty worthless.
Crist by Cynewulf (lines 104-5)
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 05:53 PM   #12
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
the game came out in March......I got it the day it came out.Not to mention,with it I got a copy of the special master quest for gamecube,with the special version of ocarina of time on it.That also roxs

thats what my cousin has. My grandma still plays the original Zelda on her origanelk nintendo system. she hates the new Zelda games.

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 09:12 PM   #13
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Anglorfin
I agree.

Wasn't it in "Legend of Zelda" that Link was a little kid at the beginning? I think I remember that. It's a Nintendo 64 game, if I recall. And I don't think it was developed for the PC. But I could be very wrong on that.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 09:41 PM   #14
Ararax
Elven Warrior

it was in link to the past on N64 that link started as a little kid
Old 07-06-2003, 10:07 PM   #15
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
Then you have no idea what you're missing. Might I remind you that the "original" Link was also in "kiddy" graphic games for the NES and SNES? Besides, if you actually played the game, you would understand why Link is a kid in this one. It's that way for purposes that are absolutely key to the story.

I adore Wind Waker's graphical style. It has a certain "cleanliness" to it that will last for a very long time, whereas a lot of late-'90s polygonal games now look very... polygonal.
The graphical style of the game just doesn't catch my eye. I'm sick of games that look like cartoons. And Zelda graphics of ages past were not "kiddy". They were very much up to par graphically with any other RPG video game out there at that time. Besides, I have yet to see a little kid sit there and actually play through and beat the entire 1st Legend of Zelda with as much ease as they could beat the later 3D adaptations of the series.

On an aside note, the first Zelda game to feature Link as a kid was A Link to the Past for SNES, not N64. The first N64 one, Ocarina of Time did also feature Link as a kid tho. Just thought I'd clear that up for everyone.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Old 07-07-2003, 01:09 PM   #16
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

Actually, the graphics are quite realistic. There's blur on the sea to mark distance. When the wind blows, the grass and trees sway. After you come out of the water, you drip. The facial expressions are awesome. The movements are so fluid it's like watching the real thing. Just proves that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover.
But that's me. I'm Nintendo biased.

Wind Waker is the best Zelda game, besides Ocarina of Time. It was soooo good! I love the Nintendo Gallery. I've got a figure of Ganondorf.

To see my full review, click here.

Last edited by durin's bane : 07-07-2003 at 01:15 PM.
durin's bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 08:07 PM   #17
Anglorfin
Alasailon

I'm not just talking about that stuff. I know they do that. What I really mean is shading and everything. Does Link's face have to be so damn bright all over? I'm sure on a system like that they could spend a little time on form and texture shading and the like.

And I know someone will say "But that's what makes it a timeless classic" or something along those lines. Zelda was already a classic, they didn't need big overly bright colors to attract anybody. The game would have probably been a classic ANYWAY no matter what they did.

Old 07-07-2003, 09:59 PM   #18
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

You don't seem to understand that they didn't make the graphics to impress people. Zelda is great game, and true fans know that Zelda always has a good plot and gameplay. Nintendo didn't know that people were so absorbed in graphics these days because of new technology. They didn't make Wind Waker for newbies or hardcore gamers. They make Zelda for Zelda fans, and the true fans don't refuse to play Zelda because of the graphics. The gameplay is awesome, the sound is excellent (Koji Kondo really outdid himself) and the plot is interesting and fun.
Besides, they originally planned to have realistic graphics for the new Zelda, but it takes so much time doing that, and with a highly anticipated game like Zelda on a popular, more advanced system like Gamecube, seeing good graphics but the same plot as OOT or LTTP wouldn't really attract players. So why not do something different? It gives Zelda more of a kick.
The graphics are awesome. They characters look like they have real bodies, as far as cel-shading goes. The problem with OOT, is the graphics really start to look like polygons after a while.

Last edited by durin's bane : 07-07-2003 at 10:02 PM.
durin's bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 12:34 AM   #19
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

In brief, because I could write a whole essay about this and don't have time right now:

Ocarina's graphics were great - for Ocarina.

Wind Waker's graphical style is a perfect fit with Wind Waker's story. And my oh my, what an amazing story.

Old 07-08-2003, 12:52 AM   #20
The Ben
Really Smelly Orc

Quote:

Actually, if you pre-order it, you also get a two in one.