Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-03-2003, 07:12 PM   #1
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Independence day!!!

Wooo hooo!! Happy Independence Day United States!!!

It's just turned the 4th July here

Congratulations........Jubilations ....... and many happy aniversaries

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 07:30 PM   #2
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Thanks! Woo-hoo is right. Finally, a day off from work: plan to listen to the Capitol Steps (http://www.capsteps.com/) on NPR while I successfully ignore household chores as I get ready for a wicked bar-b-que with some friends.

What's everyone else doing? Especially American ex-pats in other countries?
Old 07-03-2003, 07:36 PM   #3
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Hasty Ent
What's everyone else doing? Especially American ex-pats in other countries?
It's not just the ex-pats..........a pub near me has a 4th celebration on the Saturday following the 4th (although admitted, the landlords mum was American).........t'will be a good night, budweiser and barbecue!

Beatallica
Old 07-03-2003, 07:45 PM   #4
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

its a bit early here (7 hours to be exact) but happy independence day! ill get my ameican flag up soon
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 07:58 PM   #5
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Thanks Coney - wasn't really expecting this from you.

It's great that a person from the country who fought to keep us as a piece of their Empire now wishes us Happy Independence Day.

I will have more to post come midnight - but I was wondering what people plan on doing tomorrow.

I'm going to be going to Liberty State Park, go to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. I'll also see the New Jersey 4th of July fireworks there. I've done this for the last 3 years and it's great.

I would go to Philadelphia - but that is always mobbed during the 4th of July. This year will be even worse since they're having the grand opening of the National Constitution Center. I'll probably go to Philadelphia on July 8th for the anniversary for the first public reading of the Declaration of Indendence.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 08:14 PM   #6
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
It's great that a person from the country who fought to keep us as a piece of their Empire now wishes us Happy Independence Day.
lol...........I live in England now, but in 1832 my family were living in Ireland (father) and Scotland (mother).......if the British had not gone on to form the United Kingdom........I'd prolly be Canadian.

You won't find any anti-empire feelings here

But it would be nice if the US recognised the part the French played in the War of Independance

EDIT: Numerically dyslexic

Beatallica

Last edited by Coney : 07-03-2003 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:18 PM   #7
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
I'd prolly be Canadian.
too bad we could use another canadian on entmoot
I AM CANADIAN

Old 07-03-2003, 08:33 PM   #8
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Thanks, Coney

We'll be having a cul-de-sac BBQ here - we close off the cul-de-sac, and everyone brings out their BBQs, and lots of food, and shade covers, and folding chairs, and we rent those big bouncy things for the kids, and a water slide thing, and a snow-cone maker, and just hang out in the street and on the sidewalk and yak and eat and get sunburns! And we fly our American flags in honor of those that have made such great sacrifices for our country. And then one neighbor always shoots of his illegal fireworks

America has some problems, but it really is a great country, IMO, and I'm very grateful to live here. But I'd like to visit England again, and drop in on Coney, and pick up a teasmade for my bathroom

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 07-03-2003 at 08:35 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 08:35 PM   #9
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
But it would be nice if the US recognised the part the French played in the War of Independance
4th of July is a celebration of our Declaration of Independence from England. The French weren't even in involved for another 2 years. It has nothing to do with actually winning the war or even the war itself. We declared our independence on the 4th of July (actually it was when it was started to be signed). July 2nd was actually when the Declaration was approved. We actually don't celebrate the winning of the Revolution.

As for acknowleding the French and their role in The Revolution - can you please tell me again how many times you've been here to know that we don't?

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 07-03-2003 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:40 PM   #10
Salquënòrëwen
Elven Warrior

Happy birthday, U.S.A! (hehe...) It's a bit early, but oh well... To celebrate, I'm gonna go and watch fireworks on the roof with my family, have the annual cook-out, and maybe go swimming.
Salquënòrëwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 09:15 PM   #11
Ruinel
Banned

(wowl... *is shocked thet conye startd this thred* )

thanks coney...

I pan to sleep intomorrof.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 09:21 PM   #12
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
(wowl... *is shocked thet conye startd this thred* )

thanks coney...

I pan to sleep intomorrof.

ha, ive slept in eery day so far. except that this weekend i cant, but who cares, i am making easy money

happy independance day american mooters

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 09:27 PM   #13
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

Thanks Coney!
Happy early 4th, all! I'm not doing fireworks this year. Too dry, fire danger, ya know? A friend of mine's birthday is tomorrow. Cool, huh?
Old 07-04-2003, 12:28 AM   #14
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Congrats. Now give me some tips on how to emancipate NZ.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 01:39 AM   #15
Baby-K
Corruptor

Happy Independence Day all you American okes, hope you all have a blast

Quote:
We'll be having a cul-de-sac BBQ here - we close off the cul-de-sac, and everyone brings out their BBQs, and lots of food, and shade covers, and folding chairs, and we rent those big bouncy things for the kids, and a water slide thing, and a snow-cone maker, and just hang out in the street and on the sidewalk and yak and eat and get sunburns! And we fly our American flags in honor of those that have made such great sacrifices for our country. And then one neighbor always shoots of his illegal fireworks
We used to do similar things when I was a kid (called 'em street parties) - we'd close of the entire neighbourhood, then we'd have marching bands (including some drunk Scots with their bagpipes - I saw very early in life wot they wear under those kilts *shudder*) and braais, ice creams etc etc etc etc

Even when we moved we used to do it all the time (sometimes for no apparent reason) - it would usually start of as a braai at someone's house, then the neighbours will start joining in & eventually we'd all end up in the street dancing & watching the adults do stupid things like attempt skateboarding for the first time in their life when they are drunk as skunks

And believe it or not - there will actually be some 4th July celebrations on this side of the world too (but I'm gonna give it a skip, it's my Other Mother's birthday)
Old 07-04-2003, 01:41 AM   #16
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Happy Fourth of July everyone. I just wanted to say that now (12:40 AM) in case I don't get around to it later today.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 01:48 AM   #17
jerseydevil

Declaration of Independence

WHEN in the Course of human Events, it becomes necessary for one People to dissolve the Political Bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the Powers of the Earth, the separate and equal Station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent Respect to the Opinions of Mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the Separation.

WE hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness -- That to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the Consent of the Governed, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its Foundation on such Principles, and organizing its Powers in such Form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient Causes; and accordingly all Experience hath shewn, that Mankind are more disposed to suffer, while Evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the Forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long Train of Abuses and Usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object, evinces a Design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their Right, it is their Duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future Security. Such has been the patient Sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the Necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The History of the present King of Great- Britain is a History of repeated Injuries and Usurpations, all having in direct Object the Establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid World.

HE has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public Good.

HE has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and pressing Importance, unless suspended in their Operation till his Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them.

HE has refused to pass other Laws for the Accommodation of large Districts of People, unless those People would relinquish the Right of Representation in the Legislature, a Right inestimable to them, and formidable to Tyrants only.

HE has called together Legislative Bodies at Places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the Depository of their public Records, for the sole Purpose of fatiguing them into Compliance with his Measures.

HE has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly Firmness his Invasions on the Rights of the People.

HE has refused for a long Time, after such Dissolutions, to cause others to be elected; whereby the Legislative Powers, incapable of the Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the Dangers of Invasion from without, and the Convulsions within.

HE has endeavoured to prevent the Population of these States; for that Purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their Migrations hither, and raising the Conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.

HE has obstructed the Administration of Justice, by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary Powers.

HE has made Judges dependent on his Will alone, for the Tenure of their Offices, and the Amount and Payment of their Salaries.

HE has erected a Multitude of new Offices, and sent hither Swarms of Officers to harrass our People, and eat out their Substance.

HE has kept among us, in Times of Peace, Standing Armies, without the consent of our Legislatures.

HE has affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil Power.

HE has combined with others to subject us to a Jurisdiction foreign to our Constitution, and unacknowledged by our Laws; giving his Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 07-04-2003 at 01:58 AM.
Old 07-04-2003, 01:50 AM   #18
jerseydevil

Declaration of Independence continued...

FOR quartering large Bodies of Armed Troops among us;

FOR protecting them, by a mock Trial, from Punishment for any Murders which they should commit on the Inhabitants of these States:

FOR cutting off our Trade with all Parts of the World:

FOR imposing Taxes on us without our Consent:

FOR depriving us, in many Cases, of the Benefits of Trial by Jury:

FOR transporting us beyond Seas to be tried for pretended Offences:

FOR abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an arbitrary Government, and enlarging its Boundaries, so as to render it at once an Example and fit Instrument for introducing the same absolute Rules into these Colonies:

FOR taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws, and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:

FOR suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with Power to legislate for us in all Cases whatsoever.

HE has abdicated Government here, by declaring us out of his Protection and waging War against us.

HE has plundered our Seas, ravaged our Coasts, burnt our Towns, and destroyed the Lives of our People.

HE is, at this Time, transporting large Armies of foreign Mercenaries to compleat the Works of Death, Desolation, and Tyranny, already begun with circumstances of Cruelty and Perfidy, scarcely paralleled in the most barbarous Ages, and totally unworthy the Head of a civilized Nation.

HE has constrained our fellow Citizens taken Captive on the high Seas to bear Arms against their Country, to become the Executioners of their Friends and Brethren, or to fall themselves by their Hands.

HE has excited domestic Insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the Inhabitants of our Frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages, whose known Rule of Warfare, is an undistinguished Destruction, of all Ages, Sexes and Conditions.

IN every stage of these Oppressions we have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble Terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated Injury. A Prince, whose Character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the Ruler of a free People.

NOR have we been wanting in Attentions to our British Brethren. We have warned them from Time to Time of Attempts by their Legislature to extend an unwarrantable Jurisdiction over us. We have reminded them of the Circumstances of our Emigration and Settlement here. We have appealed to their native Justice and Magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the Ties of our common Kindred to disavow these Usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our Connections and Correspondence. They too have been deaf to the Voice of Justice and of Consanguinity. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the Necessity, which denounces our Separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of Mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace, Friends.

WE, therefore, the Representatives of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, in GENERAL CONGRESS, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the World for the Rectitude of our Intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly Publish and Declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be, FREE AND INDEPENDENT STATES; that they are absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political Connection between them and the State of Great-Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as FREE AND INDEPENDENT STATES, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which INDEPENDENT STATES may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.

John Hancock.
GEORGIA, Button Gwinnett, Lyman Hall, Geo. Walton.
NORTH-CAROLINA, Wm. Hooper, Joseph Hewes, John Penn.
SOUTH-CAROLINA, Edward Rutledge, Thos Heyward, junr., Thomas Lynch, junr., Arthur Middleton.
MARYLAND, Samuel Chase, Wm. Paca, Thos. Stone, Charles Carroll, of Carrollton.
VIRGINIA, George Wythe, Richard Henry Lee, Ths. Jefferson, Benja. Harrison, Thos. Nelson, jr., Francis Lightfoot Lee, Carter Braxton.
PENNSYLVANIA, Robt. Morris, Benjamin Rush, Benja. Franklin, John Morton, Geo. Clymer, Jas. Smith, Geo. Taylor, James Wilson, Geo. Ross.
DELAWARE, Caesar Rodney, Geo. Read.
NEW-YORK, Wm. Floyd, Phil. Livingston, Frank Lewis, Lewis Morris.
NEW-JERSEY, Richd. Stockton, Jno. Witherspoon, Fras. Hopkinson, John Hart, Abra. Clark.
NEW-HAMPSHIRE, Josiah Bartlett, Wm. Whipple, Matthew Thornton.
MASSACHUSETTS-BAY, Saml. Adams, John Adams, Robt. Treat Paine, Elbridge Gerry.
RHODE-ISLAND AND PROVIDENCE, C. Step. Hopkins, William Ellery.
CONNECTICUT, Roger Sherman, Saml. Huntington, Wm. Williams, Oliver Wolcott.

IN CONGRESS, JANUARY 18, 1777.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 07-04-2003, 01:52 AM   #19
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

*holds hand to forhead* i salute you
I AM CANADIAN

Last edited by gimli7410 : 07-04-2003 at 01:56 AM.
Old 07-04-2003, 01:56 AM   #20
Baby-K
Corruptor

Quote:
HE has erected a Multitude of new Offices, and sent hither Swarms of Officers to harrass our People, and eat out their Substance.
ROFLMAO No offence meant, but this part just sounds too funny! (I get this picture in my head of very pissed off swarms of officers [that look like killer African Bees or summin] flying off to the states to suck the intestines from all the poor people there) *Candyman meets Black Adder *