Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-21-2003, 07:30 PM   #1
FoolofaTook
Elven Warrior

Hulk

I just saw Hulk, and it was pretty good. I thought it was going to be full of special effects and have no story, but that wasn't the case. Ang Lee did a damn good job focusing on story-line and relationships between characters (although he did mess with the story of how the Hulk came to be), and he used spit screens in some parts which made it look very much like a comic book. Overall it was pretty well done, not what I was expecting.
FoolofaTook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 12:10 AM   #2
Giroth
The Dragonqueen

I saw a midnight showing of the hulk,and it WAS good.really good,yeah.
The special effects were great,and so was the story.I liked the dog battle
Giroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 12:43 AM   #3
gdl96
the greg the admin

my review
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 12:52 AM   #4
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I watched it today. I liked it a fair bit, though it seems like it ended up in a grey area between summer action flick and psychological character tragedy, without going far enough in either direction. The comic book look was exemplary - this is easily the top candidate for the next Oscar for Best Editing.

It's a comic book film, but definitely not a superhero film in the vein of the other Marvel flicks. More of a Frankenstein-meets-Jekyll/Hyde-meets-King Kong, if you ask me, combining elements of each. A few minutes ago I noticed the similarities to The Iron Giant, which was a much better film in terms of what The Hulk was generally trying to achieve. However, in a word (or three), I liked it.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 01:08 AM   #5
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

It was alright - very weird. The copy-book look that sprouted up everyknow and then - you know, those borders? They were just MORE ANNOYING than anything else.

It seemed to be filmed more like an artsy time film than a comic book movie - it was too serious! Where was the fun?

Spiderman and the X-men movies were better.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 11:09 AM   #6
gdl96
the greg the admin

HOBBIT, speak english please.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:58 PM   #7
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

oh, like your xanga was more clear

I'm just saying that those pannel things were more annoying than anything and the whole film seemed to be a little too serious. The acting was good.

But I did like it - it was just weird.

How is that not english?

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 09:16 PM   #8
Diaxion
Elven Warrior

i liked it very much and i think that we are just seeing the begining of the comic book genre.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:05 PM   #9
gdl96
the greg the admin

Quote:
The copy-book look that sprouted up everyknow and then - you know, those borders?
Old 06-25-2003, 08:28 PM   #10
Indril Anarion
Elven Warrior

It was okay...i mean, the special effects were awesome, and so was that whole split screen, comic-book look....but the story line was very weak...it needed something more...like more substance or something....It was all about Bruce discovering his Hulk self. Like in Spiderman, Peter Parker dicovered his new abilities too, but the movie was only partly that, and he had an arc nemesis, Hulk's only enemy was not one, it was just that he was a terror to society, and the government, in order to protect themselves, tried to get rid of him. Also, it had a very negative aura around the story, I mean, poor Bruce was left to defend himself all alone: His dad was a nut, he liked this girl, but couldn't end up with her, the government was after him, led by the girl's dad, and he had no help, everuyone was against this one person....

This is my opinion if it makes sense....so I give the movie 3 stars...
-Gandalf, FOTR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Nobody tosses a Dwarf."
- Gimli, FOTR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Save Ferris!!!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My true Elven name is Idril Anarion, but I misspelled in the username, and now I can't fix it... Oh, well...now you know...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't be afraid of death....Be afraid of the unlived life- Tuck Everlasting
Indril Anarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 07:10 PM   #11
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

im gonna go see it tomo. everyone says it looks stupid but i want to see it still. i think it doesnt look half bad and it did get good reviews
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 08:30 PM   #12
gdl96
the greg the admin

I like the new comercials for the movie. It seems as though Universal is exploiting how the movie is hit or miss. "Go see the movie everyone is arguing about" is their new slogan.
Old 06-28-2003, 02:01 AM   #13
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

I wanted to like it, I really did. But it was just too wishy-washy. It couldn't decide whether it wanted to be a trashy superhero movie, or a detailed psychological break-down. X2 was definately better.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 02:27 AM   #14
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I don't know - the comic book style paneling really made the film for me. They would have been even better in Spider-Man, though, because they'd match the tone a little better.

In a way, I think the movie wasn't artsy enough in order for Ang Lee to work all the wonders he intended. Like I said, it was in too much of a grey area.

Example of a serious, artsy comic book film that still managed to thrill and chill me with a certain sense of "fun": Road To Perdition. I could tell Lee was going for something similar, but didn't quite make it, because Spider-Man's precedent was tugging in the other direction.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 10:40 PM   #15
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

that was an awesome movie. i thought it was interesting how they did the comic book panelling and the way they made the transformations look was excellent. the only problem i had was that you couldnt see some things in the fight scenes because it was so dark
I AM CANADIAN

Old 06-29-2003, 12:26 AM   #16
Ruinel
Banned

I didn't see the movie and I don't really have plans at this time to see it.

But! I rode the Hulk rollercoaster at Islands of Adventure yesterday in Orlando, Florida. It was fun!!!
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 12:28 AM   #17
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

i saw the movie today, it was different then the other Marvel movies, but i liked it. The Hulks CGI was really good, not as good as gollum, butr still, really good

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 08:02 AM   #18
Millane
The Dude

i saw it when it came out on thursday and then again yesterday and hell ill probably go see it again tommorrer. Anyway this movie kicked Spidermans arse (mainly coz i thought Spiderman was very poor) and it did get over Xmen 2... i dont see how anyone can not like the comic style it was edited in i thought it was magnificent... as no one has comented on the acting i will... Jennifer Connolly was awesome (and attractive as ever ) Eric Bana is in my opinion one of the finest actors ever to come out of Australia and fitted into this role perfectly (i did have my misgivings when i first heard that he was playing Bruce Bannar), Nick Nolte was his usual deadbeat looking self, didnt have to adapt for the role, and whoever played old man Ross was also a good choice many people hated his character but i thought he played it with class... ohhh and the little kiddy Bruce was also good... one skeptical friend whinged about nearly everything ranging from he jumped to far to Eric Bana is not a nerd hes a crim (this friends fav movie is Pitch Black though so i wont be taking anything he says seriously )
overall top movie and it is sure to tide me over till Gangs comes out in a weeks time and a nice time filler between Gangs watchings...
Old 06-29-2003, 02:08 PM   #19
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

anybody watch "my guide to becoming a rock star" the one guy bruce saved, i think his name was harper is in that show. so im thinking this is his movie debut but i was wondering if anyone else has seen him in a movie

(that didnt make sense but meh)
I AM CANADIAN