Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-04-2003, 10:36 AM   #1
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Crop Circles

I was watching TV last night and saw a show on crop cirlces. I was just wondering what some of your ideas are on how they are made

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 10:54 AM   #2
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

I once saw a TV program of how they are made. It's very easy to make them without leaving any trace, not at all as hard as they want you to believe.
They are made by people who use simple mathematics to calculate how and where the circles should be made. Then they create the circles by bending and stamp on the crops. If they work carefully, they won't leave any proof of them being there, like footsteps etc.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 11:03 AM   #3
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

So, if they are man made, why the 'ell would men spend time to calculate that and then go out and stomp the grass down?

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 11:06 AM   #4
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvengirl
So, if they are man made, why the 'ell would men spend time to calculate that and then go out and stomp the grass down?
Why do you think? To make people believe it's aliens of course! You get a lot of publicity if you can 'proove' aliens have landed in your crop fields.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:06 AM   #5
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Perhaps they hope for the money, which comes with the attention of all the suckers.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:17 AM   #6
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Yeah, they do get a lot of publicity from suckers, eh? That' s a lot of work, though the crop circles are impressive.

Old 06-04-2003, 12:43 PM   #7
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Agreed many are formed that way, however, many are not. In depth research into the subject has shown several circles with the crops crushed to a density far beyond someone trampling on it with a board. Other sites have shown marked radiation increases over the surrounding area.
.....the truth is out there.......
Old 06-04-2003, 12:58 PM   #8
Jonathan

Many of these so called 'facts' are made up. Radiation for example has never increased at any of the crop circle sites. It's easy to say that someone has found radiation, since it's difficult to prove he hasn't.

Sorry to say it, but the famous crop circles are man made
But those of you who still want to believe anything else are absolutely free to do so, I just state my point of view
Old 06-04-2003, 02:56 PM   #9
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

I was watching this tv show on them and some of them (supposedly the authentic ones) they have researched and there is like, tiny bits of ore or some metal like that scattered in the crop circles, and the nodes of the corn stalks or whatever are burst, and the corn stalks aren't broken or snapped somehow - they're bent down without breaking. And there was radioactivity or whatever in the crop circle. Some people go to real lengths to do all these little details people might not have noticed...

the show was on a group of college students somewhere trying to recreate all these effects in the amount of time in which the crop circles appear... 3 hours i think. It was very interesting. They didn't manage it though they were a bit overtime. I saw it like a year ago or something so i kinda forget.
Old 06-04-2003, 03:07 PM   #10
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

here's a nice site:
http://www.circlemakers.org/guide.html

read all of the pages. especially the second half of page 2.
Old 06-04-2003, 03:16 PM   #11
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

hard to believe that two guys named doug and dave made all those circles for 12 years in dozens of countries......

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 05:34 PM   #12
Bunnie_Queen_1146
90% angel

oh i have heard of crop circles but never really new what they are and now i know!
/Back when a hoe was a hoe/Coke was a coke/And crack's what you were doing/When you were cracking jokes/Back when a screw was a screw/The wind was all that blew/And when you said I'm down with that Well it meant you had the flu/I miss back when
Bunnie_Queen_1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 05:45 PM   #13
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I've heard that the very first crop circle was made by landscape artists. And I once read an article that cronicled several crop circles over a year or two. The mayority of them was made during school holidays. So I have a little difficulty buying the alien-idea. Besides why would any alien hike from one end of the galaxy to another just to go baffle some other civilisation with crop circles? I guess there is no intelligent life in outer space after all then.

But they're are some amazing designs among them. They're pretty to look at, whether outer space or no.
Old 06-04-2003, 06:15 PM   #14
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
Many of these so called 'facts' are made up.
And how do you know that?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 07:10 PM   #15
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

if anyone is interested, i saw a program on them like the other week.

Basically these guys Doug and Dave claim that they were making ALL the crop circles for a period of 12 years - forget the exact dates, but went into early 90's. these things were in dozens of countries within days of eachother etc - im sure they were not travelling from australia, to england, to diff parts of usa on a weekly basis - thats tons of travelling :P

Plus - the show said that they were inspirired by crop circles in Australia NOT made by them - just simple pressed circles, with no intricate designs.

To disprove someones theory that wind and other weather caused them, doug and dave statred connected circles and then eventually making more intricate designs. Then they confessed saying that they did ALL of them.

Of course, now there are a ton of "circle makers," but in the beginning if there were only two, it just makes no sense.

Maybe they are just some weird weather penominon.

Obviously all the ones with intricate designs are man-made, but the more simple ones may not be - who knows?

The show said there was a big diff between the intricate ones and the simple ones.

It also said that there WAS traces of radiation, etc at sites of SOME crop circles. And that in intricate ones, there is evidence that weight has been applied - like with boards, but in others, the stalks of wheat (or whatever) where just pushed down seemily without any force applied - and the insides of the stalk seemed to have been microwaved. something like that.

Just what it said, im no expert and im not saying i believe aliens create any circles in crops :P

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 07:16 PM   #16
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
I've heard that the very first crop circle was made by landscape artists. And I once read an article that cronicled several crop circles over a year or two. The mayority of them was made during school holidays. So I have a little difficulty buying the alien-idea. Besides why would any alien hike from one end of the galaxy to another just to go baffle some other civilisation with crop circles? I guess there is no intelligent life in outer space after all then.

But they're are some amazing designs among them. They're pretty to look at, whether outer space or no.
Oh, there is life out there. I just don't believe we have had any visits recently. Like you said why would they come land in a field and then take off. But I do believe there is life beyond our little solar system.

Old 06-04-2003, 07:51 PM   #17
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Crop circles, huh? Yeah, I believe them.

This proves they're true.

Endnote: please forgive the sarcasm in this post.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 08:08 PM   #18
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

I particularly like this one:

The Truth About Crop Circles
by Ken Amis

Crop circles have been appearing in grain fields all over the earth during the last few decades. They appear suddenly, usually at night. At first they were simple circles of bent-over grain stalks. Soon a new crop of more elaborate designs evolved?geometric forms reminiscent of profound mathematical theorems.

Some cerealogists say that these diagrams must be created by intelligent alien beings from elsewhere. Even though these diagrams must be constructed in a very short timespan, the genuine crop circles never show any serious mistakes or blunders of execution. Cerealogists see this as evidence that the aliens must be very intelligent and much more advanced than we are. That's mere speculation, of course. Others say the real reason is that there's a worldwide conspiracy to hide the fact that the aliens sometimes do make mistakes. This coverup is carried out by people who want to preserve the myth that the aliens are a perfect race. The fact that you've never heard of such crop circle blunders just shows how effective this coverup is, they say. Mistakes are repaired at the site, or sometimes photographs of the circles are retouched. This has about as much to recommend it as any of the other conspiracy theories accepted and believed by simple-minded people.

Let's look at more plausible explanations. Actually, a few designs do seem at first to have apparent irregularities or flaws. Some of these are surely caused by wind or rain, careless hoaxers or the trampling feet of crop circle buffs. But let's set those aside and look only at those that are genuine and undisturbed. What appear at first to be iregularities or errors, may only be perfection of a higher and subtler kind, that we do not as yet understand.

Why should supposedly intelligent aliens travel huge cosmic distances across the galaxy just to doodle in our grain fields? What an absurd idea! [1] No one has ever seen them doing it, have they? Usually there aren't even any ufo sightings associated with the circles, except for those reported after the fact by people with overactive imaginations. Surely intelligent aliens have better things to do. The true origin of crop circle designs may be nearer to home.

The whole thing begins to make sense once we realize that the earth is flat. We live on the backside of a huge flat blackboard (whiteboard, scratch paper, or whatever) used by aliens in their schools and universities. There are many of these in the universe. The flat disk of the earth is thin enough that student doodles made in alien art and math classes "bleed through" to our side. This happens because their writing instruments emit mitogenetic radiation (M-rays) that are well known to affect some living plants, especially wheat, barley, oats and corn. [2] M-rays weaken the stalk structure near the ground, and the stalks bend over gently to lie flat on the ground, showing no evidence of forceful breaking. So the crop circles in grain fields are nothing more than the reverse pattern of alien students' diagrams made in geometry class.

To be continued...
Old 06-04-2003, 08:10 PM   #19
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Look carefully at photos of crop circles in books and on the internet, and a striking fact emerges. Crop circle designs are constructed from circular arcs and straight lines. Even the more complex crop circles, including those made to look like Mandelbrot sets, or the head of Mickey Mouse ©, conform to this rule. All crop circles can be constructed using the standard methods of Euclidean geometry. This should tell us something. The aliens making these drawings must be using ungraduated rulers and compases. [3] Has anyone ever seen a crop circle based on the form of a pentagon?

It's true that a few designs have straight lines and curves that seem at first to be more complex than circles. But we must remember that straight lines are simply circles of infinite radius. Any complex curves can be constructed approximately from circular arc segments of different radius.

There's good evidence that aliens have been defacing the earth's surface with geological grafitti for a very long time. The curious lines and drawings on the Nazca plain in Peru likely have the same cause. At that earlier time in history the aliens had only primitive writing instruments. They were still using "pens" made of inorganic material, that emit E-rays (Earth rays). These only affect non-living things. Sand on flat ground is easily moved around with very little energy. The sandy surface of the Nazca plain acted like a giant Etch-A-Sketch ®. No advanced mathematical figures are found at Nazca, only long straight lines, pictures and geometric doodles. Obviously the aliens weren't as scientifically advanced then. Then why are the lines so perfect, and the straight lines so straight? The reason is quite simple: on their side of the blackboard the aliens used rulers.

A number of commentators claim to have proven to their own satisfaction that the Ancient Egyptians didn't have the resources or technology to build the pyramids. Could it be that the pyramids of Egypt were built by alien kids, who, in a playful mood, pushed their play blocks into their blackboard, all the way through, coming up point first on our side? Following this line of reasoning, perhaps Stonehenge and similar structures are the result of an alien children's game in which stone pegs are pushed into a geometric array of holes.

Old 06-04-2003, 09:46 PM   #20
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

i know some people who think it is impossible to make some of those ones that are so big. one of my friends says its impossible that the stalks are bent and not broken but all they do is take a board and walk over them. all you need is like 5 people but they still dont believe it
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote