Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-02-2003, 09:45 PM   #1
Fion
Hobbit

Strider If Gandalf has Narya, the ring of Fire, does he have power over the Balrog?

If Gandalf didn't have Narya, do you think he would have done worse in the fight.

Fion

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a massage...

"When evening in the shire was grey / his footsteps on the hill were heard / before the dawn he went away / on journey long without a word."
Fion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 10:30 PM   #2
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

No.
Old 05-02-2003, 10:57 PM   #3
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

The Elven Rings was not made for power or war, they were made to preserve.

The Silmarillion.
Quote:
Now these were the Three that had last been made, and they possessed the greatest powers. Narya, Nenya, and Vilya, they were named.......for those who had them in their keeping could ward off the decays of time and postpone the weariness of the world.
Letters # 131
Quote:
The Elves of Eregion made Three supremely beautiful and powerful rings, almost solely of their own imagination, and directed to the preservation of beauty: they did not confer invisibility.
Crist by Cynewulf (lines 104-5)
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 11:23 AM   #4
Elf Girl
Lurker

I don't think so. It has the power to rekindle the spirit, not kill Balrogs.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 11:56 AM   #5
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

I don't think it made him more powerful, but I think MAYBE it is possible that Narya was a part of the reason Gandalf was able to endure such a battle. Didn't it have the power to strengthen hearts? Ya'd have to have a strong heart to fight like that. I was re-reading my ROTK appendices, did you know Gandalf fought that bloody Balrog for ten straight days???? It's incredible!!

....Heh heh, Gandalf is so cool

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Dreran the Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 12:47 PM   #6
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

dont think it would help him but probably do what dreran said
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 07:32 PM   #7
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreran the Green
I don't think it made him more powerful, but I think MAYBE it is possible that Narya was a part of the reason Gandalf was able to endure such a battle. Didn't it have the power to strengthen hearts? Ya'd have to have a strong heart to fight like that. I was re-reading my ROTK appendices, did you know Gandalf fought that bloody Balrog for ten straight days???? It's incredible!!

....Heh heh, Gandalf is so cool
Yeah, Gandalf really rocks.

Well I may be wrong, and I haven't finished the Appendixes yet, but I don't think Gandalf had Narya with him. If he did, it was only first mentioned in The Grey Havens. Perhaps it was being held in Lorien, and he just picked it up on his way back.
Old 05-03-2003, 07:47 PM   #8
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

Hmm...maybe you're right. I always wondered about that. Now that I think about it, If Gandalf DID carry it around with him all the time, it seems that Sarumaun would have taken it from him back on Orthanc.

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Old 05-04-2003, 06:46 PM   #9
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Gandalf did have Narya with him, at all times. Like all of the Great Rings, it had the power to hide itself. Gandalf bested the Balrog because he was a servant of the Secret Fire of Arnor, and the Balrog's flame could not harm him.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:59 PM   #10
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

Aaah, very wise of you to know such things
At any rate, I would like to use this as yet another wonderful opportunity to point out HOW COOL GANDALF IS!!!

Old 05-04-2003, 09:05 PM   #11
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

No, he'd have similar chances. After all, the Elven Rings were made to preserve and not to increase power. I think they made your heart endure more, because I think it takes a lot of courage and will to fight a Balrog, so maybe Gandalf would have been more reluctant to fight it, but fight it and win he'd still do nonetheless.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:16 PM   #12
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus
Gandalf did have Narya with him, at all times. Like all of the Great Rings, it had the power to hide itself. Gandalf bested the Balrog because he was a servant of the Secret Fire of Arnor, and the Balrog's flame could not harm him.
I see.
Quote:
Aaah, very wise of you to know such things
At any rate, I would like to use this as yet another wonderful opportunity to point out HOW COOL GANDALF IS!!!
I agree. That is wise. And there's always an open opportunity to point out HOW COOL GANDALF IS!

I guess, since Narya was made to preserve, it preserved Gandalf pretty well, and his energy too.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:24 PM   #13
Balrog_of_Morgoth
Elven Warrior

My feeling is that it gave him some power, though how much is hard to say. The ring of fire, in my opinion was made more for sustaining the bearer through hardship than the other two. If memory serves, didn't Cirdan tell him that when he arrived at the Havens? I'd have to go look.

I think it is highly possible that Gandalf could not have lasted several days fighting the Balrog without it - in fact, I think he may have been unable to slay its physical form at all.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:05 PM   #14
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

BTW, I am getting my OWN Narya very very shortly.
Mwahahaha.....

Old 05-17-2003, 08:25 AM   #15
druss
Hobbit

no narya would not have been used, this was decided by Galadriel in conference with Celebrimbor that the elven rings( after the one ring was made) should be hidden, never used and dispersed. narya was used to sustain and the battle with the balrog was between two maiars with both being vanquished!!! only gandalf was permitted to return.
With regards to saruman taking narya from gandalf in orthanc. saruman knew that gandalf recieved narya from cirdan (he was there) it is what started their feud. i also don't think that the rings could be " taken " from someone unless they were dead (i may be wrong on the last point couldn't remember any text to justify it).
Old 05-17-2003, 08:53 AM   #16
Sween
im quite stupid

Gandalfs rings main attribute was to rekindle the hearts of people! mind you this is also stated as been gandalfs main gift in his form of Olorin in the west so maybe this is another case of the rings of power taking what is within there wearers and improving it much like the one does.

For it helping him in the fight with the balrog it does indeed state that the rings of power did have. Galadreils helped defend and make lorien much more beautiful but also increased her desire for the sea and the west so her joy was much deminished!

Gandlafs ring probably helped him keep the faith if it were and not lose hope one of the strongest points of a balrog as with a nasgul is that it made people fearfull and a blackness would come over there heart etc etc. Maybe his ring helped him here
Old 05-28-2003, 04:20 PM   #17
Linarryl
Elven Warrior

Nazgul

NO, the balrogs don't just listen to what you say if you control it's elemental ring. It's EVIL and only listens to the EVIL *just kidding bout the EVIL part*
Linarryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 05:20 PM   #18
Ararax
Elven Warrior

it probably helped him when he was naked and on a snowy mountain.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:24 PM   #19
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

*shudders* I am pitying Gandalf and disturbed by that image at the same time

Old 05-29-2003, 06:29 PM   #20
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
BTW, I am getting my OWN Narya very very shortly.
Mwahahaha.....
That's very cool. I'm getting Glamdring! Hahaha...

Save the Topic!
Wasn't the balrog, at one point, something like Sauron (sorry for lack of name, can't read the Sil yet). So if Narya was forged by 'mere' elves, it might not have had any power over the balrog. Or maybe its power could have been reversed.

But alas, I really don't know what I'm talking about. Someone smarter please agree or disagree.

EDIT: ...that is, [wrongfully] assuming it does in fact have power over fire. Oops.

Last edited by Bombadillo : 06-01-2003 at 05:02 PM.
Bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote