Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-29-2003, 02:08 PM   #1
Sween
im quite stupid

What word did Gandalf bring?

Just reading the story of Galadreil and Celeborn in the unfinished tales and it tells of how Gandalf spoke at length with her about Valinor and brought her some dust from Yavanna to make her rhelm the most beautiful there is. Also that they brought her the Elessar to which Aragorn would eventually be given and gain his name.

What intrigies me is what other word would Gandalf also bring perhap word from her father whom it must be asumed is still alive if so what would he say i would imigin something hurry home etc. Is her mother alive as well?

who else would gandalf have a message for? Elrond? would the other isati bring messages with them? i would imigin this would of been one of the main ways in which they gained the trust of the cheif elder!
Old 04-29-2003, 02:17 PM   #2
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I guess he told Galadriel about the life in Valinor and about her friends and family. But primary I think that he talked to her about the evil things in middle-earth.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:57 PM   #3
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
I guess he told Galadriel about the life in Valinor and about her friends and family. But primary I think that he talked to her about the evil things in middle-earth.
whats Fininafinknow about evil things in middle earth? would the valar of sent words of what will be to come? much advice given on what choises to make? Galadriel certinally was the most powerful elf left in middle earth and one of the few to of met the valar
Old 04-29-2003, 03:04 PM   #4
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Sure Galadriel's parents would be alive, along with Finrod and Angrod. Earwen never left Valinor that I know of. It never said if she was caught up in the Kinslaying. Finarfin turned back after the Doom of Mandos, and was given the kingship over the remaining Noldor in Valinor. So perhaps Gandalf just brought her greetings from her family. Especially her brothers, if they had been released from Mandos by that time.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 03:06 PM   #5
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Sure Galadriel's parents would be alive, along with Finrod and Angrod. Earwen never left Valinor that I know of. It never said if she was caught up in the Kinslaying. Finarfin turned back after the Doom of Mandos, and was given the kingship over the remaining Noldor in Valinor. So perhaps Gandalf just brought her greetings from her family. Especially her brothers, if they had been released from Mandos by that time.
would Finrod of been released so fast?
Old 04-29-2003, 03:13 PM   #6
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
would Finrod of been released so fast?
Absolutely. The HoMe states that he and Glorfindel were both released quickly, and the Silmarillion implies such.

From the published Silmarillion.

Quote:
They buried the body of Felagund upon the hill-top of his own isle, and it was clean again; and the green grave of Finrod Finarfin's son, fairest of all the princes of the Elves, remained inviolate, until the land was changed and broken, and foundered under destroying seas. But Finrod walks with Finarfin his father beneath the trees in Eldamar.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 04-30-2003, 12:35 AM   #7
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Oh, SGH, I'm glad you brought that up - Gwaimir had asked about the releasing from Mandos' halls depending on how good/bad you had been, and I was going to ask people if they remembered where the reference was - I think it's in Morgoth's Ring, but can't find it right off the bat...do you recall where it is?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 12:55 AM   #8
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

*IMs SGH, SGH says look in Laws and Customs in HoME 10, RÃ*an looks there and finds it!*

Horray SGH! It's in a little sub-section called "of re-birth and other dooms of those that go to Mandos". Thanks!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 10:09 AM   #9
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
*IMs SGH, SGH says look in Laws and Customs in HoME 10, RÃ*an looks there and finds it!*

Horray SGH! It's in a little sub-section called "of re-birth and other dooms of those that go to Mandos". Thanks!
Sure thing Rian.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 05-02-2003, 12:01 PM   #10
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
whats Fininafinknow about evil things in middle earth? would the valar of sent words of what will be to come? much advice given on what choises to make? Galadriel certinally was the most powerful elf left in middle earth and one of the few to of met the valar
Maybe he did not tell what evil is awaiting them, but more what both already know and what they will have to do.