Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-30-2003, 01:07 AM   #1
SamwiseGamgeeOTS
Elven Warrior

Location: A quaint little hole which last time I checked was somewhere near Ohio, Middle-Earth.
Sam Gamgee Aragorn Sceamed Elendil?

I searched for this and didn't see a thread about it. I was watchin FOTR again (for the umteenth millionth time), and noticed something weird. Toward the end of the movie, I thought that I heard Aragorn scream the name of Elendil when he jumped off of that little parapet thing (not remembering name right now.) It's right after he tells Frodo to 'Run!' and the Uruk's come. Can someone help me, or am I just hearing weird things? Maybe he screamed another name........Mooter! RALLY UP AND HELP ME! soo confuzed.
Old 03-30-2003, 01:27 AM   #2
olsonm
Elf Lord

Yes, he cried Elendil.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:39 AM   #3
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Why should he not scream Elendil?
Old 03-30-2003, 09:30 AM   #4
Elf Girl
Lurker

It is customary in ME to cry the name of what you fight for, your homeland, etc. when you do a brave act. (i.e. Frodo cries "The Shire!" when he stabs the cave troll in the books.)
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 09:36 AM   #5
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

That was his battle cry. In Moria, Boromir cries (screams sounds like something you do at a horror movie! ) GONDOR!, Aragorn shouts ELENDIL! I can't remember if the various hobbits have a battle cry when the need arises.

Last edited by Lizra : 03-30-2003 at 09:37 AM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 10:49 AM   #6
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Arwen Undomiel

Like Elf Girl said, the hobbits do have a battle cry in the book, but in the movie, I think that they just scream,"AHHH!!"(at least thats what they did in Moria).
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 01:52 PM   #7
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

SPOON!!!

not in the face, not in the face
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"

Last edited by Lefty Scaevola : 03-30-2003 at 01:54 PM.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 02:47 PM   #8
Sween
im quite stupid

Aragorn also crys Aundril for the dundain then emeor cries 'random sword name' for the mark.
Old 03-30-2003, 02:54 PM   #9
SamwiseGamgeeOTS
Elven Warrior

Location: A quaint little hole which last time I checked was somewhere near Ohio, Middle-Earth.
Sam Gamgee

well, at least this means that I'm not just hearing things. I'm surprised that PJ would put that in the movie....confuzing all those who haven't read the books. But, I personally think that PJ should have just said, "screw it" and made the movies thinking nothing for those who have not read the books.......but that just how I view it.........back on subject. Aragorn and Elendil. Don't you think he could have screamed like....Arwen or something else?
Old 03-30-2003, 03:17 PM   #10
azalea
Long lost mooter

I could say something randy and inappropriate, but I won't.

As people said earlier, the point of yelling something is that you yell the name of your homeland or "house," the things you represent as a warrior. It wouldn't make sense for him to yell Arwen (although it might make sense to us), because that's not where he's fighting out of or who he represents. Now, Haldir for instance, would yell Lorien, but I don't think elves did that (or did they?) I don't know.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 07:23 AM   #11
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
(screams sounds like something you do at a horror movie! )
Ups, sorry.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:17 PM   #12
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Re: Aragorn Sceamed Elendil?

Quote:
Originally posted by SamwiseGamgeeOTS
I thought that I heard Aragorn scream the name of Elendil when he jumped off of that little parapet thing (not remembering name right now.)
Amon Hen, wasn't it?
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 10:18 PM   #13
SamwiseGamgeeOTS
Elven Warrior

Sam Gamgee

now. see. that's what i thought, but I didn't want to say that and be wrong and sound really really stupid.
Old 04-04-2003, 03:21 PM   #14
Elessar the Elfstone
Enting

Strider

Aragorn is heir to elendil so he probably shouts it to scare the orcs or somthin' I may be wrong though
Elessar the Elfstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 04:25 PM   #15
azalea
Long lost mooter

I don't think the orcs knew who Elendil was (although I could be wrong), but I think it's more for the fighter's own benefit, as a rally cry for himself, as a way of reminding himself what he is fighting for and/ or why. Or it is as a way of letting the others who are fighting around him know who he "is."
OR if it is for the enemy's benefit (in this case, orcs), it is so they remember if they survive who it is who whupped 'em. (or that their last dying thought is the house/ homeland of the fighter who killed them, or if they survive they can tell the others back home about the fierce fighter of ___, and the next time one encounters him, they will then be scared.)
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 06:29 PM   #16
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

It's... from... the... book
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 01:49 PM   #17
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

I didn't notice that in the movie, but I wouldn't be surprised. And I guess it is costomary to yell out what you're fighting for in ME, like how Sam yells "FRODO!" all the time. That's pretty cool.
Old 04-07-2003, 03:23 PM   #18
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

After much thought, I believe I would yell "Mommy"!
Old 04-07-2003, 04:35 PM   #19
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Anybody here trains any sort of martial arts? Usually, when you kick something (or someone ) you scream, both to get out aggresion (sp?) and to scare your enemies.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:54 PM   #20
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

It's more than that. There's a physiological reason- to expel air from your lungs.